• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
leigh1900

Water Inside Car

leigh1900

got problem

after weeks of sorting out engine problems i got car running perfect and have now discovered when its running there is water running down into the footwell ive checked the hoses for the heater matrix in the baulkhead and they are fine any ideas as to what will be causing this

cheers

leigh

inferno

the matrix itself?!

leigh1900

is it a big job to remove?

cheers

leigh

Jer309GTi

Does it smell like antifreeze? It could just be the windsceen seal leaking.

inferno

i think ive heard ppl say about half hour including a cuppa! try searching for the 306 heater matrix thread for who said that and pm them for more info;)

or try the haynes!

leigh1900

cheers for that it is def coolant fluid so just looking at manual for tomorrows task!

cheers leigh

one more question the rev counter is not working where would i find the wire that connects to the engine for this

jackherer
i think ive heard ppl say about half hour including a cuppa! try searching for the 306 heater matrix thread for who said that and pm them for more info;)

if you spent half an hour doing it at your work you'd get sacked :lol:

or try the haynes!

actually don't becuase it will tell you to unneccesarily take the dash out <_<

GLPoomobile

It doesn't take that long to take out the matrix once you know what you are doing but for a first attempt it will be fiddly and you will need to get down on your back in the foot well. IIRC you can do it with out removing any of the center console, but when I did mine I had half the dash hanging apart so I could be wrong.

Basically you need to remove the two coolant pipes from the connection in the bulkhead. They are next to the brake servo, one pipe right above the other. Then you need to get in to the footwell and look up under the dash, where you should be able to see two silver metal pipes running down from the bulk head to the matrix. If you have a feel around you should find an L shaped bracket sitting against the two pipes. You need to remove this (pointless) bracket which is held in with one screw (you'll need a stubby screwdriver). Then you need remove the pipes from the side of the matrix, they are held in with 4 screws and captive nuts. The screws can be a bugger to get at so you might need to have a feel around.

With the pipes out you just need to have a look arund the side of the matrix for the screws that hold it in to the dash. I can;t remember how many or where they are but it is only a few, maybe 3, and they are easy enough to spot. Just undo them and then you can slide the matrix out sideways.

You can get a new matrix for about £30 from places like Neat Autos. If you decide to get a second hand one make sure it has the tiny captive nuts in place that hold the two pipes in the side! You can use the ones from your old matrix if you haven;t already trown it away (you can tell I'm talking from a past experience here, can't you!).

Before you refit the metal pipes to the matrix either get new O Rings or stick a load of instant gasket around the ends. I had to do this with mine as they leaked like buggery the first time I re-fitted it.

Pug_101
cheers for that it is def coolant fluid so just looking at manual for tomorrows task!

cheers leigh

one more question the rev counter is not working where would i find the wire that connects to the engine for this

The Rev counter will not work in a Mi conversion. There are a few ways of getting one working though, so do a search and decide what suits you best. Mainly replace the rev counter itself or change the signal to the revcounter.

jackherer
The Rev counter will not work in a Mi conversion. There are a few ways of getting one working though, so do a search and decide what suits you best. Mainly replace the rev counter itself or change the signal to the revcounter.

eh? rev counter works just fine in a 1.9 Mi16 conversion, just connect wire 112 to wire 112, simple as that!

aftermarket engine management and newer looms from 2.0 engines are what you're thinking of.

leigh1900
It doesn't take that long to take out the matrix once you know what you are doing but for a first attempt it will be fiddly and you will need to get down on your back in the foot well. IIRC you can do it with out removing any of the center console, but when I did mine I had half the dash hanging apart so I could be wrong.

Basically you need to remove the two coolant pipes from the connection in the bulkhead. They are next to the brake servo, one pipe right above the other. Then you need to get in to the footwell and look up under the dash, where you should be able to see two silver metal pipes running down from the bulk head to the matrix. If you have a feel around you should find an L shaped bracket sitting against the two pipes. You need to remove this (pointless) bracket which is held in with one screw (you'll need a stubby screwdriver). Then you need remove the pipes from the side of the matrix, they are held in with 4 screws and captive nuts. The screws can be a bugger to get at so you might need to have a feel around.

With the pipes out you just need to have a look arund the side of the matrix for the screws that hold it in to the dash. I can;t remember how many or where they are but it is only a few, maybe 3, and they are easy enough to spot. Just undo them and then you can slide the matrix out sideways.

You can get a new matrix for about £30 from places like Neat Autos. If you decide to get a second hand one make sure it has the tiny captive nuts in place that hold the two pipes in the side! You can use the ones from your old matrix if you haven;t already trown it away (you can tell I'm talking from a past experience here, can't you!).

Before you refit the metal pipes to the matrix either get new O Rings or stick a load of instant gasket around the ends. I had to do this with mine as they leaked like buggery the first time I re-fitted it.

cheers for that i'll get onto it tomorrow want to get the car running for the weekend as now the engine is running it sounds perfect thanks a lot for all your help would have been lost without it

cheers

leigh

Sign in to follow this