• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NoodleVille

Major Water Problem

NoodleVille

i have just had a problem with the h reg 1.6 gti i own

cruising along the motorway with 5 people in the car at 70 which is about 4000 revs i just suddenly lost all power the car started to pop and bang i off a slip road at some traffic lights car stalled i started agfain with difficulty and managed to drive it very slowly to a car park

all the water has leaked from my system in some spectacular fashion seems to be leaking towards the rear right hand corner of the engine bay

friend seems to think a possible timing belt slip causing the water pump to go dodge and giving reason for no power

head gasket there was no water in my oil

there was no water left in my squasher and but i am wondering if the temperature sensor would even work if there is no water in the system to get a temperature from but no overheating occured

any odeas as to the problem again a friend seems to think my timing belt has slipped which caused the lack of power and water pump to mess up

i can honestly say this is my first pug so i havent got much of an idea any feedback is brilliant

Ps i found no searches relating to my problem

ada205

Do you mean rear right-hand corner when looking into bay from front? If so, then wondering if the leak, which sounds pretty impressive, has p*ssed water over the electrics, esspecially the dizzy and cap. If so, this could easily cause the problems you mention, including back-firing. Any idea where the leak is? The little s shaped pipe at the back of the stat housing seems quite fond of splitting in my experience, and is in the right area to drench the dizzy if it should split! Also matrix and header tank pipes are in this area.

if you can find and cure the leak, and still have starting or running probs, i'd clean/dry inside the dizzy cap, rotor arm, & lead terminals, and give all a quick squirt of wd40.

Edited by ada205

ALEX

Sounds like head gasket to me.

Fill it back up with water and look for steam comming from the ehaust.

If the gasket has gone enough to cause rough engine running it should show up on a compression test.

d-9

Going on your recent overheating problems, it sounds a lot like the HG to me, going between the cylinder and the waterways makes the coolant get VERY hot and boil over.

Refill the coolant, bleed the system, then run it with the cap of the header tank, if big bubbles appear or all the coolant jumps out when you open the throttle, the HG has gone. Otherwise put the cap on and run it up to temperature, then watch the gauge, if the HG has gone it will warm up very quickly and the gauge will carry on going up until there is steam coming out of the bonnet.

Veero

Regarding the electrics problem and no power that sound slike when my heater matrix to thermostat housing pipe burst sending water all over the dizzy and leads causing a misfire. I instantly lost most power as it was firing on 2/3 cyclinders, just enough to conk out by the side of the road. When it all dried out, and the hose was taped and system refilled it was absolutely fine.

I hope for your sakes it is that.

Remove the cap and spray lots of WD40 around and wipe everything clear. Re-ft top up the systema nd try to run it. A leaking hose should be quickly obvious, an HG probelm as described above will take a little longer probably before smoke starts pouring out teh exhaust.

Veero

kyepan

Hi there,

This might be a bit of a long shot.. but.

I had something very similar happen to me recently, I was adjusting the timing a little and put it too far out one way, then the vacume advance fell off making things worse, this caused it to run very rough, pop and bang, lack of go, and heat the exaust. It burnt a water pipe nearly through after just a couple of minutes drive, but car recovered fine when the timing was adjusted back, the car cooled and the vacume advance put on... The Knock on effect was it developed a pretty impressive water leak from the bottom back of the block behind the timing belt cover, it will empty the headder tank in 24 hours, and loose a litre on a 10 minute journey, how this happened i don't know, the pump still works but the seal has blown, perhaps it was pressure enduced, from getting too hot.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I need to change the water pump to do the seal, which means removing (and replacing ) the cam belt. This is an MI 16.. aparently the 8v is much easier.. but i think the water pump is in the same location...

So if something happened to your timing, it would explain the engine behaviour..as it sounds similar, and the way your describing the water leak it could be O ring failure near the water pump.

As the other guys mentioned, i would check all the hoses first as they are easy to replace by comparison.

Hope this helps

cheers

Justin

NoodleVille

ok guys i will be working on the car tommorow night and will deffinatly post another thread on my findings i am hopeing very much that it is not a head gasket

as i really dont have the funds or knowlege to change one at the moment

if the head gasket is gone in comparason would a 1.9 conversion be any harder/cheaper or whatever?

ALEX
ok guys i will be working on the car tommorow night and will deffinatly post another thread on my findings i am hopeing very much that it is not a head gasket

as i really dont have the funds or knowlege to change one at the moment

if the head gasket is gone in comparason would a 1.9 conversion be any harder/cheaper or whatever?

I'd go the head gasket route.

I did an engine change once only to find that is was worse than the old one.

Edited by ALEX

NoodleVille

hahahaha ok VEROOOO you are the man lol i checked dizzy and around water was puddling underneath topped up the water and turned her in the heater matrix hose bottom one i think its the one that sends hot water to the heater matrix connects to the engine just below the dizzy

i found a pin hole in this hose just under the dizzy pointing up at the dizzy and squirting water allllll over it lol :) stupid hose so i repaired this hose and hey presto no leak :D i honestly can thank all of you for your replys i doubht i would have even thought of that if i hadent of posted thanks very much guys

ps i picked up a 1.9 engine as well lol just in case of a terminal illness to my 1.6

d-9

Good effort on fixingt it :D

Sell the 1.9 engine, the 1.9 is faster but the 1.6 is lots more fun :)

Veero

:) woohoo score!

I think this is the 1st time my advice has proved correct :D

Winner! :D

ada205

Didnt anyone see my post then?!!!!!!!!!!

aw11_hgt

^^^ Obviously not!!!!! :)

Veero

Sorry, beer induced delerium there. Yes you said it too. Apologies for getting over excited :unsure:

*pats ada on the back ^_^

ada205
Sorry, beer induced delerium there. Yes you said it too. Apologies for getting over excited :unsure:

*pats ada on the back ^_^

:D:D:D Cheers Veero :D:D:D Need a bit of a cheer up....Found out today i've another 205 related bill on it's way!

Sign in to follow this