• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Phase 2 Lights

gti_al

Sorry to start yet another topic for this, but i need a little help. After a local guy rolled his 205, i picked up a late model loom for my rear lights... but when i picked it up i seem to have got about 50 bonus plugs and connections.

Here is what it looks like

Picture.jpg

How do i work out which bit i need? Somehow i don't think the taillight loom is meant to have this many brown multiplugs...

steve@cornwall
Sorry to start yet another topic for this, but i need a little help. After a local guy rolled his 205, i picked up a late model loom for my rear lights... but when i picked it up i seem to have got about 50 bonus plugs and connections.

Here is what it looks like

Picture.jpg

How do i work out which bit i need? Somehow i don't think the taillight loom is meant to have this many brown multiplugs...

excellent guide on the main site!

gti_al

I kinda hadn't seen that one... sorry. :D

That gave me the wire numbers, which was what i was after. If someone can delete this it would be good.

jackherer

the guide on the main site describes joining the connectors for the rear lights onto your existing loom.

as you have an entire loom you could swap the whole thing over which is much neater and more likely to work without problems. obviously its a bit more work though...

If someone can delete this it would be good.

no, it would be bad, other people will be reading this and finding it useful I'm sure :D

gti_al
the guide on the main site describes joining the connectors for the rear lights onto your existing loom.

as you have an entire loom you could swap the whole thing over which is much neater and more likely to work without problems. obviously its a bit more work though...

no, it would be bad, other people will be reading this and finding it useful I'm sure ;)

Ok. If it is staying, how about we generate some vaguely interesting discussion...

What is involved in changing the whole thing over? What do all the random plugs do anyway? I can think of tail lights, the reversing light and maybe the fuel pump being back there...

Super Josh

What about Fog Light, Heated Rear Window( do you guys have both of those in Aus?), rear wask/wipe etc. Should be fairly obvious when you unplug the old loom and mark the connectors and then compare the two side by side. The connectors for the fusebox are polarized and can only go into the correct connector, so that bit is easy. Just a case of lifting the carpet and carefully unthreading the old loom etc.

Josh

gti_al

That is true josh... I really didn't think it through very well before typing. Still, looking at this loom there are a lot of things that will need plugging in. I might go and investige before i talk any more crap though...

Thanks guys

jackherer

the fuel pump and gauge wiring are about the only things at the back of the car that DON'T go through that loom!

the only fiddly bit I remember is threading wires through the bodywork across the rear of the car.

inferno

Yep that loom looks just like mine did... and it was a pain threading the wires through the bodywork too! i didnt use the guide on here though, i just persisted for a few hours with a test light!

Super Josh
That is true josh... I really didn't think it through very well before typing. Still, looking at this loom there are a lot of things that will need plugging in. I might go and investige before i talk any more crap though...

Thanks guys

Hey Al, you're not talking crap :D Just speaking from experience of changing wiring looms :D The only sh!tty part is threading the loom down through the rear valance down to the reverse and fog light. It's not too difficult :D

Josh

Simes

look at this thread in the technical archive!

If you have the whole loom - just plug into the fuse board and it is relatively simple. Much better than hacking wires up.

For pulling the wires across the back from Left to right remember to leave a cable in there to act as a puller!

Edited by Simes

gti_al

I finally got around to doing this today, and i was pleasantly suprised by how straightforward it was. I ended up following the guide from the website, and it was very helpful.

Somehow it made absolutely no sense before i started, but by the time i had pulled everything out it made perfect sense. Definately the first time that has happened with anything...

Super Josh

:wacko: It's good when a plan comes together

Josh

gti_al
:D It's good when a plan comes together

Josh

And not very common... I can't get over how much better they look!

Sign in to follow this