• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dee-STDT

Overheating Head Unit

Guest Dee-STDT

I took the face off my pioneer MP3 player and found it was really hot. I put my hand up against the rest of the unit and it was very hot to touch..i'm wondering whether something is causing it to overheat as i've never had this problem with it in my previous cars...

perhaps it has something to do with the heaters which seem to be continously pumping through hot air??

any ideas?

Thanks,

Dee.

Fuqa

i had a pioneer head unit, and after about 2-3hrs of driving in the summer, it would display the word "heat" then turn off

the stereo is so close to the heater matrix i guess

matty_gti

hi,

Ive got a JVC headunit and it gets fairly hot, probably because i allways have it on and plus the heater matrix is directly above it which with the small air gap between the HU and matrix it can get very very hot which then transfers into the HU.

HoPe ThAt HeLpS :D

tom_m

yeah i've got a JVC and its overheated once. it does get mighty warm down there next to the heater matrix, and the stereo's cooling fan is always running

timmsy19

looks like another common fault as i have a sony and it just cuts out when it gets to hot or its trying to power to much

jackherer

I've had the heater matrix leak all over my (brand new :D ) head unit in the past, something else to look out for :D

Guest Dee-STDT

Thanks for all your responses, aslong as it doesn't affect my cds i guess it's just a common fault with most units.

TEKNOPUG

Just direct the heater controls to blow at your feet (cold air obviousl) and that should help to cool it down.

Guest smokinslim
Just direct the heater controls to blow at your feet (cold air obviousl) and that should help to cool it down.

...fine during summer, not so nice in winter.

I'm contemplating fitting a computer fan either side of the center console near the rear of the stereo to increase air flow in the area. I've got copied cds that wont play in the car properly since having been super-heated by my HU a few times :D

jim205GTI

ah make a nice heat shield for it :D or get a little pc fan and wire it in at the back of the unit to help it keep cool :o:wacko::D

Paintguy

I had this problem on my last 205, and will no doubt have it again when I finally fit a stereo! I drilled a hole in the heaterbox, between the fan and matrix, and used a length of pipe to direct the (always cold) airflow over the back of the head unit.

Obviously great care is needed to make sure you drill in the right place!

Rippthrough
I had this problem on my last 205, and will no doubt have it again when I finally fit a stereo! I drilled a hole in the heaterbox, between the fan and matrix, and used a length of pipe to direct the (always cold) airflow over the back of the head unit.

Obviously great care is needed to make sure you drill in the right place!

I've just got a small PC heatsink and fan sat on the back of my unit, wired into the switched live.

Paintguy

^^ Now that's just being silly :lol::lol:

Rippthrough
^^ Now that's just being silly :lol::lol:

Works though!

jim205GTI

haha i was joking bout that aswell but it has good logic though :lol: can't say i remember my head unit getting that hot though...... having said that it was picky when it decided to work

Rippthrough
haha i was joking bout that aswell but it has good logic though :lol: can't say i remember my head unit getting that hot though...... having said that it was picky when it decided to work

Mine only got warm, but I've got dozens of PC bits lying around and one of the little gfx card coolers caught my eye!

Paintguy

Now I come to think about it, I've got a few Aero 7 cpu coolers lying around. I could use one of the blower fans from one, and have adjustable speed too :lol:

Rippthrough
Now I come to think about it, I've got a few Aero 7 cpu coolers lying around. I could use one of the blower fans from one, and have adjustable speed too :lol:

Best let henry have one too, they look almost like a hairdryer.... :lol:

Guest andyfitz

my pioneer headunit get's quite hot too.

how many speakers are you running off it? mine was much hotter when using the HU's amp, but when I had my sub and componets connected via 2 amps of the pre out's it was alot cooler because the internal amp was not really doing anything.

Paintguy
Best let henry have one too, they look almost like a hairdryer.... :lol:

And sound like one at full speed!

jeremy

Not so long ago well about 15 to 20 years ago I had several pull out head units (Panasonic/Pioneer/Grundig/Blaupunkt/Clarion). I use to run them for long periods of time at high volume, and some of them could easily burn your hand when removed, so I guess it is similar for the face off ones, except unless you take the full unit out you would not know how hot the unit is getting. However even my Alpine face off gets hot on the contacts to the main unit, and the HU doesn't even have an internal amp.

Guest dado_205

I think it is normal, because of the amp inside of unit. It hapends on every 4*45 or higher unit

Sign in to follow this