• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Ulitmate Tu3

brianthemagical

i'm going to be the mechanic on an Ax Gt (hopefully) road rally car. i want to get the best performance on a buget which led me to think about mixing and matching the parts of other compatible/tu3 cars. i'm not sure if the ax gt is a tu3, but i think it is. what would be the best head, inlet and carbs/poss injection that would fit on with little fuss? likewise with rear beams. i would like disks for a fly off handbrake, are there any cars that are sutible donor vehicles ie saxo vts. any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

timmsy19
i'm going to be the mechanic on an Ax Gt (hopefully) road rally car. i want to get the best performance on a buget which led me to think about mixing and matching the parts of other compatible/tu3 cars. i'm not sure if the ax gt is a tu3, but i think it is. what would be the best head, inlet and carbs/poss injection that would fit on with little fuss? likewise with rear beams. i would like disks for a fly off handbrake, are there any cars that are sutible donor vehicles ie saxo vts. any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

right to start, the ax gt engine is a tu3s engine later models ie the gti are injection. not sure about a rear beam as its an ax if its the same as a 205 then a 309gti beam will fit with a little modification on the rear arches. As its a tu3s engine i would stick with carbs maybe twin webbers or the 38GAs carb as mentioned in a few other posts

brianthemagical

thanks. i think the 205 beam won't fit, i read it somewhere. the 106/ saxo beam will fit apparently, again read. twin webbers are a bit to pricy, any idea what car the other carbs can come off?

i've been offered a 106 rally with knakered body but engine and sus, would this be any good.

thank again

timmsy19

i think the MG maestro has them not sure exactly what model if you go to www.peugeot205xs.co.uk that shows all the mods for the engine but its quite an old site so may be loads more options now,

johnrobertgordon

I would stick with drums on the rear as they are better for handbrake turns, rear brakes are not as important as around 60% of the force go's to the front. You can whip up a fly off handbrake using the standard handbrake as i have.

Rippthrough
i think the MG maestro has them not sure exactly what model if you go to www.peugeot205xs.co.uk that shows all the mods for the engine but its quite an old site so may be loads more options now,

He recommends an ecotek and a turbo zet, and shy's away from any work that would actually be useful, cams + headwork etc. Hmmm

timmsy19
He recommends an ecotek and a turbo zet, and shy's away from any work that would actually be useful, cams + headwork etc. Hmmm

i should of just pointed out the carb mod which comes from early MG maestro's. remember that its quite an old site.

Butler

If you intend to use the handbrake a lot, go for discs and an hydraulic handbrake.

True cables are better with drums than discs, but the cables stretch. My hydraulic setup with disks requires no maintenence, dispite a lot of use.

macaroni

It is quite a bit of work to get those Webers from the Maestro to fit.

Cheap and cheerful mod that I have done is fit a Weber 38DGAS. It was already worked to fit the TU inlet manifold and takes quite a bit of jetting to get right, but it does the job.

You can pick them up from ebay for about £50.

brianthemagical

thanks for the help. those Weber 38DGAS sound like a good idea. do the heads off different tu3's fit each other, if so which would be the best to go for, or am i just fantasising. thanks again.

Rippthrough
thanks for the help. those Weber 38DGAS sound like a good idea. do the heads off different tu3's fit each other, if so which would be the best to go for, or am i just fantasising. thanks again.

The heads all fit, but the CR vary with different heads and so do the inlet manifolds.

I'd imagine the TU24 would be the best head to fit, but I think the last time I went through it it needed shedloads of material removed?

bren_1.3
I'd imagine the TU24 would be the best head to fit, but I think the last time I went through it it needed shedloads of material removed?

yeh trogboy says compression on the TU24 head with a TU3S bottom end is circa 8:6:1 !

Sign in to follow this