• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_101

High Speed Vibration

Pug_101

Anyone had a vibration that normally occur's at high motorway speeds.

It not a normal wheel out of balance kind of vibration, but more that the whole car shakes mainly coming from the centre front of the car and comes in waves ie. 3-4 secs of vibration then it goes for 3-4 secs then comes back and so on all at a steady speed :)

There is no vibration in the steering and I have had this in a few cars now, both front and rear wheel drive.

What is the cause?

Thanks

timmsy19

could be wrong but is it high vibration from the engine causing the engine mounts to vibrate

Cameron

Check that the front and rear of the car are still attached? :)

sounds wierd whatever it is.. any signs of irregular tyre wear?

Edited by Cameron

Rippthrough

Maybe your driving is making it nervous? :)

I would have the wheels checked for balance tbh, sounds like it. Strange it comes on and off though, maybe they're only slightly out?

Edited by Rippthrough

PsychoSimon

my nova sr used to do that at 85/90mph and it turned out to be wheel balancing,

Simon

Cameron

Just dawned on me.. if the rear wheels are out of balance you will get shaking without feedback through the steering wheel.

Rippthrough
Just dawned on me.. if the rear wheels are out of balance you will get shaking without feedback through the steering wheel.

Usually, but not always.

Simes

Sounds like a driveshaft, there's been plenty of threads on this....

Cameron

woudnt that only happen from the middle of the car if it was a rear wheel drive car?

Pug_101

So it's not just me then.

Just to confirm this is happening on the 2.0L ZX, but I also had the exact same problem on my MX5. I spent a lot of time and money on the MX5 trying to sort this out, but never managed to. I just find it very strange that the same fault would be in 2 very different cars.

I tried all sort of wheel combinations with the MX5 (I had 2 sets) to no effect, also tried changing the suspension etc..

I'll have to look up the driveshaft issue.

For anyone who has not experienced this it is quite wierd. If I can I will try and record the event happening and post it on here.

Cheers for the replies so far.

fangio

I have experienced this before, where vibration was only felt at higher ( 85mph +) speeds.

Apparently on front wheel drive cars the rear wheels are literally just 'trailing' behind and can be quite well 'out of balance' and this would not be noticed at lower speeds.

Vibrations caused in this way is a result of airwaves inside the rear of the cabin travelling from n/s to o/s and reaching a resonant frequency. Hence the vibration fades in and out as speed varies slightly.

I know some of you will have a laugh, but I did find a detailed article on the net but, can't find it yet.

Pug_101
I have experienced this before, where vibration was only felt at higher ( 85mph +) speeds.

Apparently on front wheel drive cars the rear wheels are literally just 'trailing' behind and can be quite well 'out of balance' and this would not be noticed at lower speeds.

Vibrations caused in this way is a result of airwaves inside the rear of the cabin travelling from n/s to o/s and reaching a resonant frequency. Hence the vibration fades in and out as speed varies slightly.

I know some of you will have a laugh, but I did find a detailed article on the net but, can't find it yet.

This sounds promising, I certainly feel it's a resonance issue. Although it might be a combination of things and won't rule anything out at this stage.

Any thoughts on a easy fix. Balancing may involve Bearings and brakes?

I will try a run the car with the rear windows open (3 door model) and see what the difference is.

Cheers

Edp

sounds like a rattly old 80s hot hatch to me!

Cameron

Hang on a sec.. air inside the cabin? are you talking about the helicopter noise you get at high speed with the windows open??

I cant see how travelling at any speed with the windows closed will affect the air inside the car.. its got to be something out of balance! My 205 doesnt make any vibrations at any speed.

mat1227

sorry to dig up an old thread but I just got this today in my gti, coming back up from brighton, again at 85+ (kmh, obviously). and i can confirm it's quite disconcerting :( - pug101 did you ever get to the bottom of it?

literally had the tracking done this morning, and it happened just the same before and after, so not that.

as an aside, I passed someone on the m23 northbound in a rental van towing a very nice looking white 205 with cage/perspex and pts stripes on rear. was it anyone on here? looked lovely. although it was hard to keep focussed on it with the above shenanigans going on :)

Edited by mat1227

Guest FALAHPET

Similar issue on one of mine at high motorway speeds. Swopped over the wheels to a set that I knew had recently been balanced - hey presto!

Obviously in my case this worked - and a cheap fix too. :lol:

Sign in to follow this