• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Xs Exhaust Options

timmsy19

what options do i have for an exhaust sytem on my 205 1.0 soon to be 1.4 xs im not thinking about a huge boy racer exhaust something more like the group N ones you get on the gti's.

something with a nice sound but not big, ive got an almost new standard straight through center section and was wondering do i need just a back box or full exhaust?

Edited by timmsy19

macaroni

There is much debate as to the worth of a centre silencer.

I had a Janspeed backbox with a straight through centre pipe and it sounded great, but was very loud. I now have a CSC backbox which is much more cultured, with a smaller tailpipe. Still sounds great though.

Best thing you can do is get a 4 branch manifold like the CSC one, or get a Janspeed ax gt one cut 'n' shut.

My current set up is a CSC manifold, straight through centre pipe and CSC backbox and I am very pleased with it.

timmsy19

is there going to be any performance changes from manifold, center pipe and backbox?

Edited by timmsy19

macaroni

Manifold yes, although not huge on a standard engine.

Backbox no, a big shiny end always looks good though...

Centre pipe/silencer is a matter of debate.

timmsy19

do you are anybody know what sort of costs and power gains can be had by doing the whole system from manifold down, ive heard stories of over 100bhp from a 1.4 tu3s engine.

obveously this includes engine mods and such :)

Rippthrough
do you are anybody know what sort of costs and power gains can be had by doing the whole system from manifold down, ive heard stories of over 100bhp from a 1.4 tu3s engine.

obveously this includes engine mods and such :)

I would have thought you would need some heavy intake work to get that kind of figure. Manifold supposedly makes good gains on anything mildly modified though.

timmsy19

im probably only going to have a filter on the carbs and exhaust system, so i doubt that it will have much effect.

im saving for a new car so will probably only keep it for another year but if i do keep it i might put it on twin carbs and do more with it

stu_woac

when I do your engine I'll bring my track xs pushing 136bhp from the little 1.4

if you want

macaroni

You will need a bigger carb/carbs to get 100bhp+.

Enfield

if you want

136bhp? Bloody hell mate! How did you managed that and when are you taking me for a spin in it?

timmsy19

if you want

sounds good to me mate. bet that is quick. will i need an xs manifold when changing from my 1.0?

so stu are you going to put up a topic on tuning a tu3s engine :)

Edited by timmsy19

stu_woac

no no topic let you lot figure it out yourselfs also I always get critersized (spelling) on here when saying what is done, after the carb retune yesterday after my new head this is what she was pushing they found 12 more break just playing around with the Emulsion Tube

I,m at pugfest on sunday if you want a run up the hill enfeild

do you mean exhaust ??? graham if so no

Edited by stu_woac

timmsy19
no no topic let you lot figure it out yourselfs also I always get critersized (spelling) on here when saying what is done, after the carb retune yesterday after my new head this is what she was pushing they found 12 more break just playing around with the Emulsion Tube

do you mean exhaust ??? graham if so no

yeah the exhaust manifold.

what is going to have to be changed?

basicly what other parts am i going to need??

stu_woac

depends on what comes with the engine but nothing really straight swap

GazRallye

Sorry for dragging up an old topic but its better than pointlessly starting another one

I'm going to fit a cut n shut ax 4 branch to my xs but after having a good look at the exhaust, there seems to be a big change in diameter from where the standard manifold downpipe meets the rest of the exhaust at the back of the engine bay.

It seems to be quite a sudden step in diameter and i thought this is surely quite restrictive.

I was going to fit the 4 branch and keep the standard exhaust, mainly because of the noise issue, but would this cause the 4 branch to not be used to its full potential?

cheers

Jrod

I think the genral rule is good manifold, do whatever you like with the rest.

I use a standard backbox to keep the noise down with my 4 branch and it seems fine. :blink:

mloncar
You will need a bigger carb/carbs to get 100bhp+.

I'm driving Renault 5 with 1.4 8V engine (it is very similar to TU3 engine) and it has 80HP. I talked with local rally mechanic who worked on Clios 1.4 Cup in 1994 and 1995. There were very limited (allowed) modifications - lighned and balanced crank shaft, rods, pistons, pully for altenator belt and flywheel, head work was allowed + ECU remap (different EPROM chip) all other parts had to be standard (pistons (except that they were a little lighter), camshaft (arround 240"), valves (34mm exhaust and 38mm intake), ignition, intake manifold with SPI (35mm TB :) ), exhaust manifold etc). Cars had arround 105BHP. As I was speaking with this mechanic, he said that if they could use standard intake manifold with carb (Weber 32/32 TLDR that were as standard on this 1.4 engine till 1992), cars would produce 5-10bhp more.

Obviusly it's possible to have more than 100bhp with standard carb...

PS: sorry for offtopic :angry:

Enfield
I'm going to fit a cut n shut ax 4 branch to my xs but after having a good look at the exhaust, there seems to be a big change in diameter from where the standard manifold downpipe meets the rest of the exhaust at the back of the engine bay.

It seems to be quite a sudden step in diameter and i thought this is surely quite restrictive.

I noticed this too the other day and was wondering the same thing...

Think I might just go down to PowerFlow at the weekend see how much they'll charge to fit a larger exhaust section from downpipe to the rear...

Sign in to follow this