• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ictoan

Would A Faulty Sad.....

Guest Ictoan

cause a drop in power. (Or am I barking up the wrong tree!)

My 1.6 XU5JA has always been down on power since I bought it. Tried various things which have helped, but only a little bit. It is fitted with a K&N filter. My next item to check is the SAD.

I have noticed that when the engine is fully warmed up that, at idle, the short rubber hose that connects the SAD to the metal pipe that goes to the throttle body gets sucked in quite a bit. This stops if you rev the engine a bit. If I pinch the hose from after the afm that goes round the back of the SAD the revs drop off and it will stall.

I'm wondering if the SAD is sticking open, allowing too much air in. Cold starting has never been an issue.

I should add that the spark plugs are a good colour with no signs of running too lean or rich.

As ever, any advice much appreciated.

Tim

Pugnut

when warm if you pinch the pipe to the sad and the revs drop (in you're case stall) then its sticking open.

if you dont have 1500rpm(ish) fast idle then the idle speed has been tampered with to reduce the high rpm . If this is the case you wouldn't be able to take you're foot off the throttle with a cold engine without it stalling .

if the pipe is getting sucked in then the throttle body is blocked (air bleed screw/incorrectly adjusted ) .

get the base idle set up at a decent garage and get the timing checked and there no reason why you shouldnt have a flying machine.

the sad intake is after the air flow meter so it wont really affect performance that much.

Guest Ictoan

Pugnut,

Thanks for the reply.

The fast idle is about 1500rpm.

I will clean out the throttle body, what's the best way to do this?

Tim

brianthemagical

take it off the inlet manifold undoing the nuts. theres 2 pipes underneath which are coolant pipes, one will pour it out, the other will empty. the other pipe is a vacume one going to the dizzy. take the tps off, remove the throttle cable the use degreaser or redex.

Pugnut
Pugnut,

Thanks for the reply.

The fast idle is about 1500rpm.

I will clean out the throttle body, what's the best way to do this?

Tim

dont forget you're sad is stuck open . give that a good clean out with diesel or degreaser also. connecting it directly to a battery you see it slowly close . if this isnt happening then its u/s.

oh and the pipe keeps colapsing (with a cold engine) after everything's sorted then the pipe must be knackered .

if you do a search you will find posts where some folks have fitted a solenoid valve wire to a dashboard switch . A brand new sad though should last another 50k at least .

Guest Ictoan

Thanks Pugnut.

It may be a week or so before I get the chance to do all this but I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, Tim

Sign in to follow this