• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pete C

Creaky/squeaky Rear Suspension

Pete C

Car is making a horrible loud creaking/squeaking noise whenever the rear suspension moves, my thoughts are that it's likely to be the bearings in the rear beam having broken up, but as I'm a relative 205 novice, before I jump to conclusions...

...is there anything else it could be? :)

hengti

check the handbrake cables/rear caliper mechanisms

TEKNOPUG

If it's not been refurbed recently, it will either already be knackered or will in the near future. Budget for a rebuild.

Miles

Get it done quick or you might wear out the beam tube as well

Pete C

Thanks for the replies guys... the beam is just a used one I got from ebay to replace a siezed one that was on the car when I bought it.

Is a rebuild an easy DIY job? Do I need special tools?

Miles

theres a guide on the main site, just rust will be the main issue

Dream Weaver

Could it be the rear shocks?

pugtorque rebuilt my beam 400 miles ago, and it squeaks whenever I get in and out of the car, and the only things we didn't replace were the shocks.

niklas
Could it be the rear shocks?

pugtorque rebuilt my beam 400 miles ago, and it squeaks whenever I get in and out of the car, and the only things we didn't replace were the shocks.

Maybe the rubber bushes on the shocks mounting points?

I don't know if rubber will squeak when being old, dry and full of cracks. But I'm imaging myself it could happen :D

Dream Weaver

Don't think so, they were swapped for good GrpN mounts. :D

Pete C

Thanks for the other ideas guys, I'll check them out later if it's stopped raining (spot the dry weather mechanic!), but to be honest if it's not the beam itself I'd be very surprised knowing my luck; I've only changed it recently for a supposed 'low mileage' one too.

I've read the beam refurb guide and it sounds far too complicated/fiddly for the likes of me to attempt.

I take it there are companies/individuals who refurb beams? What's the going rate and who is best? :D

Miles

You missed my Sig, lol. The price for the beam all depends what yours is like so no easy answer there I'm afriad, Worst case is around £350.00 if your tube is ovaled as well.

Pete C

Thanks Miles, I did see your sig, was just hoping from some feedback from people who've paid to have beams refurbished as opposed to people who sell them :D

Guest andyfitz

I have the same problem on my beam, I shall be taking it off for a rebuild soon.

When I replace it I will do the mounts also, do people recomend group N or A mounts? which is best for road use?

Pete C

Just popping this up in the hope of getting more replies as I actually have the money to get the beam rebuilt now :o

I've had a quote from SSP Engineering of £350 + VAT to rebuild and fit the beam, they say they can do it in a day, does this sound reasonable?

mishu

When you say 'knackered', do you mean the inner/outer bearings have gone? I'm assuming that's the most frequent problem with them.

I swapped rear and front tires today and while raising the car I could hear similar creaky/squeaky sounds from the rear as well...

max0
Just popping this up in the hope of getting more replies as I actually have the money to get the beam rebuilt now :o

I've had a quote from SSP Engineering of £350 + VAT to rebuild and fit the beam, they say they can do it in a day, does this sound reasonable?

The parts to fully rebuild a beam are about £180 that includes two new trailing arm shafts, Depending on how bad your beam is the cross tube may need to be replaced as well and im guessin the shafts will do 2.

For a drive in and drive out price that seems fairly good to me. Have a look at nicks quide on the site and see if you feel you can DIY it.

Miles

It's a average price, I charge around the same if new pin's are required, But if the Pins are OK you can take £100.00 off that price

Sign in to follow this