• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GlasgowRob

Non Start 205 No Fuel, Out Of Options?

GlasgowRob

car is not starting,

basically when you turn the car over nothing happens on the injector side of things, ie no fuel coming out. now the strange thing is that when you stop cranking you get a tiny little puff of fuel but ONLY when you stop cranking.

things ive changed so far,

dizzy, cap rotor arm leads plugs etc

tachymetric relay, and ecu

any thoughts on why i'm not getting anything at the injectors?

inferno

are the fuel pipes on the correct way round? take the feed pipe off to the fuel rail and try cranking it?

how about connecting live wire directly to the fuse box, i think ist the furthest fuse to the right... but ull have to double check that...

GlasgowRob
are the fuel pipes on the correct way round? take the feed pipe off to the fuel rail and try cranking it?

how about connecting live wire directly to the fuse box, i think ist the furthest fuse to the right... but ull have to double check that...

ok car was running fine then died so everything is on the right way :)

checked voltages at the fuse box 12v when cranking for no 14(fuel pump)

have fuel as far as the rail just no worky injectors.

is there some sort of signal for the injectors to fire?

steve@cornwall
car is not starting,

basically when you turn the car over nothing happens on the injector side of things, ie no fuel coming out. now the strange thing is that when you stop cranking you get a tiny little puff of fuel but ONLY when you stop cranking.

things ive changed so far,

dizzy, cap rotor arm leads plugs etc

tachymetric relay, and ecu

any thoughts on why i'm not getting anything at the injectors?

have you checked for fuel pressure? Carefully loosen the fuel pipe union (17mm I think) Should spurt pure fuel-no air.

This is probably not a health and safety approved test!

GlasgowRob
have you checked for fuel pressure? Carefully loosen the fuel pipe union (17mm I think) Should spurt pure fuel-no air.

This is probably not a health and safety approved test!

oh believe me plenty o pressure :)

got a faceful when i changed the rail over ;) so plenty of fuel pressure there

Pug_101

Do a search mate this was covered very recently. Can't remember by who sorry.

steve@cornwall

Seem to remember that all 4 injectors fire together, so only 2 wires from ecu to injectors-

?constant live and switched/pulsed negative?

Can anyone say which wires from ecu-and what voltage it should produce? could then check supply between ecu-injectors for continuity and rule out a broken wire here?

GlasgowRob
Seem to remember that all 4 injectors fire together, so only 2 wires from ecu to injectors-

?constant live and switched/pulsed negative?

Can anyone say which wires from ecu-and what voltage it should produce? could then check supply between ecu-injectors for continuity and rule out a broken wire here?

any more thoughts guys i'm about 2 steps away from breaking the bloody thing

Pug_101
Do a search mate this was covered very recently. Can't remember by who sorry.

Found it------It was you.

What model year and ignition have you got?

Mine is motronic 1.3 and has 2 trigger wires.

Check there is 12V at the injectors (not the fuse box) with ignition on.

If you have this then check which pin/pins on the ECU is the trigger and check wire is not broken to injectors with multimeter some models are triggered by the dizzy.

Can you confirm the above has been carried out.

GlasgowRob
Found it------It was you.

What model year and ignition have you got?

Mine is motronic 1.3 and has 2 trigger wires.

Check there is 12V at the injectors (not the fuse box) with ignition on.

If you have this then check which pin/pins on the ECU is the trigger and check wire is not broken to injectors with multimeter some models are triggered by the dizzy.

Can you confirm the above has been carried out.

its a 1986 le jet-tronic shed :)

any thoughts on triggers?

Pug_101
its a 1986 le jet-tronic shed :)

its a 1986 le jet-tronic shed ;)

Ok,

This what I would do, you really should have a multimeter for this (can be got for under £10). Do each of these steps in order and fix any fault before moving onto the next step.

check all under bonnet earths are good and also both battery terminals.

locate wire 12Unclip the connector to the fuel injection module

If possible look for wire 18 going into the Tachymetric relay and with ignition on (i.e. warning lights showing on the clocks) check this wire has +12V

As mention in my last post check you have +12V at each injector, unclip each connector attach black lead of multimeter to the battery - terminal or a good earth and the positive into all 8 terminals of the injector connectors 1 should be a + for each injector connection, This should be done with the ignition on.

locate wire 12 to the fuel injection module (ECU for short) connector, this should also read +12V.

Set the multimeter to read ohm's turn the ignition off.

Measure the resistance from wire 9 going into the ECU connector to the - terminals of the injector connections. the reading should be 0.

If you've had no faults so far you've proven the injectors are powered and the trigger wire is ok. Therefore either the ECU is faulty or the trigger for the module is faulty.

Wire number 1 into the ECU connector is connected to the - side of the coil, check this wire also has no resistance between these two points.

Next check the injectors are working. I would do this myself using a 9V square battery as it is safer and the battery should be powerful enough to fire an injector you can use this or take a +12V supply and an earth lead from the car and put negative/earth to the already identified - terminal on the injector itself and then tap the + to the other terminal you should hear the injector click repeat this for all injectors (if you have used the battery and no click was hear then try the other injectors and if none work use the +12V supply instead to prove the fault).

Please follow this list and report your progress. If none of this shows a fault I would suspect the ECU, but there are more check that can be done so let me know and I will go into them.

I have writen this in a basic manner as I do not know your abilitiy, so please don't take offence.

Cheers

GlasgowRob

cheers m8 i'll give it a try, dont happen to have a pin diagram for the ecu plug do you?

as for ability not me :) my old mans a spark to trade so guess who got dragged into helping out ;)

Pug_101
cheers m8 i'll give it a try, dont happen to have a pin diagram for the ecu plug do you?

as for ability not me :) my old mans a spark to trade so guess who got dragged into helping out ;)

no have not got a pin out, but there's only 11 wires going to the injector ECU/module not sre how accurate the diagram is in the haynes but pin 9 is shown in the middle, pin 1 as the outermost pin (I would guess this to be a black wire) and pin 12 is the first pin on the opposite side to pin 9 (ie next to it).

Ignition is haddled by a different module, but you've got spark right?

Cheers

GlasgowRob
no have not got a pin out, but there's only 11 wires going to the injector ECU/module not sre how accurate the diagram is in the haynes but pin 9 is shown in the middle, pin 1 as the outermost pin (I would guess this to be a black wire) and pin 12 is the first pin on the opposite side to pin 9 (ie next to it).

Ignition is haddled by a different module, but you've got spark right?

Cheers

yeah got a spark

whats the voltage of the trigger and is it a constant 12v feed?

Pug_101
yeah got a spark

whats the voltage of the trigger and is it a constant 12v feed?

Yes should be +12V constant with ignition and is triggered to earth (ie the module).

Sign in to follow this