• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Accusump...

Rob Thomson

I've spent the last week up in North-west Ireland watching the Donegal International Rally with a load of mates. Top week away, and saw some truly awesome motorsport.

Anyway, Colin McRae was doing the rally for a laugh in a borrowed Metro 6R4 (and was pretty close to the championship regulars in bang up-to-date WRCs before being slowed by clutch problems), and I had a look at the car (and did a bit of hero worshipping) in service one afternoon.

Guess what was bolted to the roll-cage in front of the engine? Only a sodding Accusump...

If the best driver in the world uses one perhaps they're not the load of old bollocks I've always thought they are...?

James_R

Think with an electric valve i.e the proper set up they are useful.

TEKNOPUG

You just said that the car was borrowed though!

How the hell will McRae know what specs the car is or parts used etc????

James_R

Think rob, means with McRae's driving and the engine still function it must be doing somethign benifical ;(

Rob Thomson
How the hell will McRae know what specs the car is or parts used etc????

Actually good ol' Colin owned said 6R4 until a couple of years ago, so he probably knows a fair bit about its spec...

But that really wasn't what I meant - the important point is that this car is the first proper competition car I've ever seen with one fitted. Having said that, I've just remembered that the 6R4 is dry-sumped (obvious really) so the Accusump is presumably used as a damper for the oil pressure rather than as an anti-surge device.

TEKNOPUG

That's sounds plausible

James_R

or pre-lubrication?

the_mighty_one

hey the said 6r4 wasnt one that is run by TAL Motorsport was it?

Rob Thomson

It was built by TAL for McRae a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure whether they still look after it.

Sign in to follow this