• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Couple Of Mi Questions

pacey205

Just a couple of quick questions

Firstly what sort of oil pressure do people normally see on an Mi, its been fully rebuilt bar new pistons and liners with all new seals/bearings etc. When driving the oil pressure sits at about the 3rd line so about 4bar which I think is fine but it seems very low on idle i.e. just on the 1st bar.

Secondly it dosent like to idle all that much, its a bit lumpy both when cold and hot but is fine after driving for 30sec-1 minute down the road. Sits at 1000rpm when cold and hot, personally I expected it to sit a little higher when cold but hy. Swapped the ICV for another item which made no difference but is there anything else I should check ?

None of these are a particular problem really but Id like to set them to rest in my mind at least.

Michael

Miles

Does it run rich on Idle? IF so it could well be the AFM as most are wearing or worn out now, Worth trying the retracking or cleaning the track up.

The tick over allways stays the same warm or cold

pacey205

It passed the emissions OK but theyre done at revs (2k ?) arent they ? They were very low within the specs though I remember that, not got the numbers to hand though.

Got no way of checking for sure but it dosent smell particulary rich at idle, suppose I could tweak the AFM and see if it makes a difference although Im not a big fan of that tbh.

Michael

C_W

I find mine has a high cold idle, probably around 1050/100rpm but slowly comes down to 850ish.

Idle oil pressure when cold is really high, but when oil is hot it drops right down.

scotthall39
I find mine has a high cold idle, probably around 1050/100rpm but slowly comes down to 850ish.

Idle oil pressure when cold is really high, but when oil is hot it drops right down.

Yeah this sounds about right,

My old one did this

pacey205

Cold idle at pressure is fine I just thought it was a little low when hot but tbh I cant remember what my old 1.9 ran at so have nothing to compare it with.

Idles not really that bad its just not as good as Id expect. May have a play around with the AFM and clean it up see if it makes a difference. ive got a spare somewhere as well I think.

Cheers

Michael

maxi

Mi's after rebuilds never ever show as good oil pressure on the gague at idle. It seems to be a strange thing that a factory built engine runs more pressure than a rebuilt item. I have had 2 original engines show a certain amount on the dials at set temps and then after rebuilds show lower readings. A bit worrying sometimes but they seem to hang on.

Maxi

Guest edcotic

interesting comments on oil pressure

My MI runs 3/4 round the guage when cold, but drops right down to just above the red when idling warm. climbs to middle of the guage with any sort of revs tho so i've not been too concerned.

However the guage stopped registering all together yesturday, sticky pressure sensor? Or is there a sender unit as well? The wiring looks intact. Also the low oil pressure light comes on with ignition and then goes out once running to something is getting through.

Any thoughts?

Also found a sensor mounted verticaly into the back of the block the other day, what is it? no wiring attached

Ed

pacey205

That sounds very similar to mine, I wasnt really worried about it bt thought Id check with you other Mi people.

Sensor your talking about would be the oil level sensor which is generally not wired in on a 205 as its not a standard thing. Im sure you could wire it in to a light though.

Michael

SweetBadger
That sounds very similar to mine, I wasnt really worried about it bt thought Id check with you other Mi people.

Sensor your talking about would be the oil level sensor which is generally not wired in on a 205 as its not a standard thing. Im sure you could wire it in to a light though.

Michael

Yep me too! My rebuilt MI shows 6 bar on idle when cold moving to the top of the gauge when revved, and 1 bar on idle with hot oil, sometimes dropping a little lower after I've really been giving it some stick, but no warning lights and the pressure goes up when revved so I'm not worried. Think it might be worth changing the sender as the gauge started fluctuating slightly the other day when I was on the motorway doing constant revvs...

Another thing that seems odd is that from cold I get a lot more low down grunt and throttle response upto about 3500 rpm, but as soon as it warms up it feels really flat below 4000rpm (when you put your foot down it makes a loud 'sucking' induction noise but doesn't pick up very quickly). After about 4000 rpm there doesn't seem to be any difference in performance when the engine is hot or cold (not that I take it above 4000rpm very often when cold!) so it must be benefitting from the fuel enrichement when cold. I've changed the ecu temp sensor but it hasn't had any effect so I'm thinking it might be worth re-tracking the AFM. I've re-tracked an 8v afm, is the 16v one any different inside - can it still be retracked?

Cheers, Alex.

dazEmad

My engine is brand new (2.0mi) on 1st turn of the key the oil pressure is to the max on idle. If its hot weather then after 15/20 mins of running it will sit at 2nd bar on idle, at night time when its cooler (after 15/20 mins) will sit at the 3rd bar on idle and stays very high (3/4 to full) for the 1st 10 mins. I would suggest changing the sensor as it could well be giving you a false reading.

maxi
My engine is brand new (2.0mi) on 1st turn of the key the oil pressure is to the max on idle. If its hot weather then after 15/20 mins of running it will sit at 2nd bar on idle, at night time when its cooler (after 15/20 mins) will sit at the 3rd bar on idle and stays very high (3/4 to full) for the 1st 10 mins. I would suggest changing the sensor as it could well be giving you a false reading.

Nobody puts them together like Peugeot. Im not joking, they must do something different in the factory. As soon as they are dis-assembled and rebuilt the pressure is never the same, especially at idle.

Maxi

petert
Mi's after rebuilds never ever show as good oil pressure on the gague at idle.

More likely a reflection of the people's ability who rebuild them!

Dream Weaver

This thread is re-assuring :)

My rebuilt Mi also does the same - half way on cold idle, near the bottom on warm idle, but moves back to half way when under load.

SweetBadger

Well it depends on the facilities you have really, I think most 'amature' mechanics don't have the equipment lying round the garage to regrind a crank, in which case you have to rely on someone else doing it properly... Actually installing a crank is fairly straight forward - make sure everything's clean, pop in the shells, oil everything and torque up the caps - if you're building an engine on a budget and don't wan't to pay someone else to do it there's not much you can do to guarantee fresh out of the factory oil pressure...

If I'm not missing something very obvious resulting oil pressure in the rebuilt engine will depend almost entirely on how well the machining work on the crank was carried out, provided the person who installs the crank is not too careless.

maxi

99% of the engines built by reputable people from here come out like this. I would have to agree with you normally but the guys who built my engine have half a clue, they sponsor the forum.

Maxi

Edp
99% of the engines built by reputable people from here come out like this. I would have to agree with you normally but the guys who built my engine have half a clue, they sponsor the forum.

Maxi

Mine too! :)

Mine is between the 2nd and 3rd line when driving normal but rises a touch when im hanging it. Once warmed the needle sits on the 1st line. I dont think you have anything to worry about Michael.

Ed

pacey205

Well its good to know that most people with Mi's see the same sort of thing. I rebuilt this engine (first one ever) so was a little aprehensive but after putting some more miles on it Im not too worried now, all the dials seem to do waht theyre supposed to and no lights coming on which is nice :)

Having said that I do appear to have broken the speedo lol

Michael

Lillpete

I am slightly concerned by the fact that the oil pressure on my mi rises from just above the red light when under load but if I give it full beans the gauge drops to nothing!! (the light doesn't come on??)

I am slightly concerned by the fact that the oil pressure on my mi rises from just above the red light when under load but if I give it full beans the gauge drops to nothing!! (the light doesn't come on??)

tidypug

check your pressure sender unit as the warning light comes on from a seperate sensore

Lillpete

Am I right in thinking that these are the two senders just under the intake manifold??

also what does the sender on the sump do?? as mine has nothing conected to it, the Oil level/Temp not sure which (top right on dash) doesn't work should this be connected??

welshpug
Am I right in thinking that these are the two senders just under the intake manifold??

also what does the sender on the sump do?? as mine has nothing conected to it, the Oil level/Temp not sure which (top right on dash) doesn't work should this be connected??

1. YUP those are the buggers.

2. yup you've guessed it! oil temp.

not many 205's had an oil level sensor fitted, these were plugged into the back of the block anyway.

Sign in to follow this