• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonnie205

Definitive Crank Sensor Install

jonnie205

Is there a definitve method of mounting a crank sensor running a 36-1 pick up ring to an Mi16 engine?

Ive got the sierra pick up ring and VR sensor but its just the wrong diameter to bolt to the Mi16 pulley. Does anyone make a replacement pulley (ideally slightly narrower to run a standard 205 alternator belt :angry: ) without the damper and with a 36-1 ring designed to fit the new pulley?

Then a nicely fab'd bracket to hold the sensor. At the moment everything available seems to be made to be adapted for any engine..... please tell me im wrong!!!

Otherwise its a question of getting something made, but i'd rather go down a tried and tested route that works reliably than making a one-off that may or may not let me down.....!

smckeown

QEP makes them. This is my 8v version

crank_sensor.jpg

Also Matt @ QEP runs a crank pulley sensor on his mi16, as he runs with one of his own lightweight ali fly

Jonmurgie

Second the QEP one... although I don't run one I saw the setup and it looks/sounds ideal and one that I will possibly consider to run one of Matt's flywheels but that are a lot of ££ for around a 2kg saving

petert

Why d*ck around with that when you can run the std. 60-2 trigger?

jonnie205

Because i run an ultra light 1.6 flywheel whcih is balanced to the crank and also have race clucth, hence i dont wanna sqwp to the heavier mi setup

Bono
Why d*ck around with that when you can run the std. 60-2 trigger?

If like me you are using megasquirt with wasted spark EDIS setup you need a 36-1 trigger.

I got my trigger wheel from www.triggerwheels.co.uk ?

I mounted the sensor on a bracket coming off one of the engine mount bolts, however i'm not too happy with it so i shall look into the QEP bracket.

Malachy
If like me you are using megasquirt with wasted spark EDIS setup you need a 36-1 trigger.

I got my trigger wheel from www.triggerwheels.co.uk ?

I mounted the sensor on a bracket coming off one of the engine mount bolts, however i'm not too happy with it so i shall look into the QEP bracket.

thats still alot of dicking about when you can spend £8 buy an ms1 cpu, and run wasted spark from the 60-2 wheel using the extra code.

unfortunatly at the moment ms2 does not support wasted spark 60-2 although extra code is about to be released that does this

Bono

I'm using EDIS to run the ignition which requires a 36-1 trigger wheel, not megasquirt to control the coil pack.

Malachy
I'm using EDIS to run the ignition which requires a 36-1 trigger wheel, not megasquirt to control the coil pack.

any particular reason? edis to me seems a kinda loose loose situation :/

you have to piss about getting a 36-1 wheel setup,with a sensor, you then have to get an edis system.

and once running edis will not allow you to use a spark cut rev limit.

seems a lot of expense for the only real gain vs ms1 is an 12x12 afr target table in ms2 instead of an 8x8 in ms1. even though ms1 will allow you to have lots of other extras.

Bono

It all seemed simpler at the start with the EDIS sorting out all of the ignition stuff.

I just went for the MS2 cpu as it was the lastest one at the time and supported more features.

jonnie205

we're going a little off topic here people....!

as far as i can gather, there isnt a pukka set up to get a crank sensor and a 36-1 trigger installed. unless you get the QEP brkt but then as my trigger wheel is smaller diameter than the pulley, judging by the poseted picture, the sensor would be miles from the teeth..... so thats not gonna work

so ive mounted the sierra trigger ring on the MI16 pulley and made a brkt to hold the sensor. seems good enough

Mad Professor

I have just converted from 36-1 trigger wheel, to the mi16 60-2 trigger wheel.

I have all the parts needed.

if you want to know more PM me.

Mad Professor
36-1%20Parts.jpg

jonnie205

Cheers got it all sorted now, using the sierra trigger ring and VR sensor, with correct sensor mounting its all good

using a kms igntion ecu and ford coil pack, so not the edis system

Sign in to follow this