• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sam

S16 Rebuild

Sam

I tried a search (perhaps I'm going wrong somewhere) but I wondered if anyone had an idea of the parts I would need. I've done a fair few head rebuilds but never done a bottom end apart from in college. The new lump is sat on an engine stand in the garage. Garrett GT2871RS, oil lines/fittings, and DP Stainless manifold and 3" downpipe will be here first week of July.

I've already got a water pump and big end bearings lined up.

I'm guessing I need:

• Main bearings
  • Head gasket (cometic - not sure on thickness yet)
  • Valve stem oil seals
  • Cam seals
  • Crank seals
  • Cam belt
  • Piston rings
  • Cam cover gasket
  • Water pump gasket

If theres anything else or you have any info for me that would be helpful.

findlay

Cheque arrived for the shells yesterday mate, I'll bank the cheque today and post them on Monday if thats ok :lol:

Good luck with the build and keep us posted :P

base-1

Thrust washers, just get a full bottom end gasket set from QEP, had more in mine than I actually needed, and I replaced everything except the water distribution block thing gasket :lol:

Sam

findlay: Thanks for that. :lol:

rich: Cheers mate, how much was the gasket set?

Is it worth going for ARP rod bolts (or similar)?

base-1

Sorry mate can't remember off the top of my head, but I MIGHT have the invoice on the garage floor (ahem) at home, I'll check later for you :)

From the sounds of what you want (eventually if not right now), yes get ARP rod bolts and head studs. How much will you be revving it?

Sam

Not even 7k TBH.

Sam

Big ends arrived, cheers findlay.

There was a little filter in the head, which had fallen apart a bit. Are these cheap from peugeot?

Henry Yorke
Is it worth going for ARP rod bolts (or similar)?

I wondered that when the bottom end was off my CTI, but I came to the conclusion that these (rather expensive) bolts were designed to cope with the huge inertia generated by piston and rods at high RPM. Therefore were over kill on a turbo engine as you would be driving it wrong if you were on max revs all the time.

I think it is quite easy to read about things and think, oohh whilst I am there I will add these on. Head bolts may be a different matter if they do stronger ones to cope with higher pressures, though I am a bit confused as to how these would be stronger as they work on a stretch principle and "stronger" cannot stretch as easily (or am I missing something?).

A good quality head gasket / steel head gasket would be a good investment with the large turbo

Sam

I'm going for a cometic gasket I think. Not sure on thickness just yet.

I have a new crank lined up, 88mm and not even from an XU engine.

Headbolts, I think the S16 ones are pretty beefy enough. I think I'll have to give Matt @ QEP a ring, he doesn't seem to be getting my emails. Technology eh! ;)

petert

If you use an 88mm crank you'll increase the static CR to 11.1:1 with a std. gasket. Probably not a good idea for a turbo. With the std. crank and a 2mm gasket you would have approx. 9.4:1. Even that's a bit high. The S16 engine I stripped for my race car was supposed to have 10.4:1 but was only 10:1.

findlay

Good ol' Royal Mail... That took them 18 hours from one end of the country to another for 99p :P

jonand
Sorry mate can't remember off the top of my head, but I MIGHT have the invoice on the garage floor (ahem) at home, I'll check later for you :P

From the sounds of what you want (eventually if not right now), yes get ARP rod bolts and head studs. How much will you be revving it?

Sorry to hijack this post, but my s16 grass racer spends most of its life between 5000 - 7000 rpm - does this mean I should be considering different rod bolts?

Cheers

Jon

Sam

petert: I'm probably going to use a 3mm gasket, 9:1 is the aim but if its a little higher that'll be nicer off boost :P

Edited by Sam

TEKNOPUG
I have a new crank lined up, 88mm and not even from an XU engine.

What's that from then? :P

Sam

He won't tell me which is fair enough. Suffice to say it fits the Mi without any issues and is of a 'better design'.

TEKNOPUG

Hope it wasn't too expensive - you could get a forged XU crank for peanuts.

Sam

How cheap?

rich_w

They are a rare engine (it seems), I haven't seen many of them down the local scappies.

I did see a 2.2l XU from a jeep on ebay once...

TEKNOPUG

It may be rare but I can't imagine it being expensive once you find one.

TEKNOPUG

Although I'm not actually sure which cars they are fitted to....

jonand
Sorry to hijack this post, but my s16 grass racer spends most of its life between 5000 - 7000 rpm - does this mean I should be considering different rod bolts?

Cheers

Jon

Anyone ?

Sam

You might be better off starting your own thread or having a search.

sonofsam

Got a feeling the XU11D is in Xantia Diesels and this going to sound very strange but i remember reading that Suzuki Vitaras are also XU engines, cant find were i read that though :)

TEKNOPUG

I'll have to do some research. Were there not larger 2.1/2.2 diesels in 605's and also in Peugeot Boxer vans? Got a feeling that you are right about one of the Jap jeeps also. Will need to track one down when I build a new engine.

BTW - is this special 88mm crank from an Audi?

Sign in to follow this