• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Big Thanks To Matt @ Qep!

Jonmurgie

Well I've put together a list of things to get done and it's scared me how long it is:

Fit Dry Sump Tank

Fit Oil Cooler

Fit Breather Tank

Fit Dry Sump Pipes & Fittings

Fit Oil Temp & Pressure Gauges

Exhaust Manifold Welded inc. Y Piece

Buy Exhaust Heat Wrap

Fit Fuel Lines

Buy Motorsport Fuel Filter

Fit Anti-Surge Tank

Buy External Fuel Pump

Fit Relocated Red Top Battery

Fit Plumbed-In Fire Extinguisher

Clean & Paint Engine Bay & Battery Tray

Fit Internal Rear Brake Lines

Fit Brake Bias Valve

Replace Front Brake Lines

Remove, Clean & Paint Brake Servo

Clean & Paint Engine Mounts

Clean & Paint Stat housing

Complete Race Engine Loom

Thin Out Car Loom

Fit Battery Cut Off Switch

Fit Starter Button

Relocate New Radiator with Mounts

Clean Alternator or Buy New One

Weld in New Seat Rails

And I'm sure there's more that I need to add to the list... maybe 4 weeks is a bit premature!

smckeown

BLimey, plenty of stuff to get on with then.

So your re-using the existing plastic tank with the additional swirl pot and pump ?

Jonmurgie

Yeah... see no reason to change right now and the swirl pot does the job :) I saw your new tank, looks interesting, do you know if it's going to do the job?

smckeown

It's just ive only seen small ali tanks used in conjunction with swirl pots so far

My method has been proven time and time again by the Antipideans :)

Jonmurgie

There are several race cars downstairs that have a swirl pot fitted to the standard fuel tank... including the Time Attack winning Litchfield/PowerStation Impreza :)

Edited by Jonmurgie

Mattsav
:) :) :)

Hilgie

Nice piece of kit there Jon!. Congrats :)

Dj_mini

Looks great but as no one else seems to have asked how much did it cost? :)

Jonmurgie

Ah, well that I couldn't possibly say... but I'm sure if you give Matt @ QEP a call he'd gladly price up a similar spec for you ^_^

smckeown
Looks great but as no one else seems to have asked how much did it cost? ^_^

Well my engine rebuild and oil anti-surge system came to roughly £3k. I'd guess jon's same cost would be double that ;)

huxley309

Wouldn't be far wrong but id say more like £7000 if you add the price of the dry sump...i know mine was about £5000 possibly more id hate to figure it out ^_^

Can't see the point of big valves on the mi unless it's a silly spec...even martins are std size

Edited by huxley309

DaveK
^_^ goodness gracious help ma bob ma gidness

Kitsune

Looking good mate.

You note the new cc's as 1927. How was this worked out? Someone calculated for me that with the 83.5 pistons, the cc increases to 1950? Or was that for 84mm pistons....?

Jonmurgie

Cheers Kits... the way the CC's is worked out is by taking the bore (83.5) and the stroke (88mm) and runing it through a calculation that finds out the swept volume of a cylinder and you times that by 4 :angry:

Shevy
Wouldn't be far wrong but id say more like £7000 if you add the price of the dry sump...i know mine was about £5000 possibly more id hate to figure it out ;)

Can't see the point of big valves on the mi unless it's a silly spec...even martins are std size

I guess the proof will be in how good the engine performs.

If a big valve head is done properly you will make good gains, thats a fact.

Trouble is there are very few people who know how to get the best from big valve on an mi engine.

The work has to be done on a flow bench if you want to get the most from a BVH head.

There's a lot of 200bhp + mi engines all nearing completion or have been already been finished.

It would be good to get them all together for a R/R shootout and compare the different ways that everyone has achieved their power output.

Did Martins engine ever get mapped and finished ? I never heard what figures he achieved in the end

Dream Weaver

You lot are nutters spending £3k plus on engines :D

I thought mine was bad at £950 ;)

I've pretty much spent up on mine now, wont spend any more would rather sell and get something more modern B)

Engine looks superb though Jon, bet you can't wait to get back into the trackdays now??

Kitsune

Just been having a look through some old threads and found this [on CC calcs]:

8.3cm bore 8.8cm stroke

cylinder cc = (pi*r^2)*stroke

=(3.14*4.15^2)*8.8

=(3.14*17.2225)*8.8

=476.1335cm3

*4 cylinders =1904.5cm3

8.4cm bore 8.8 cm stroke

1950.7cm3

So that was for 84mm pistons. Does that look right?

huxley309

Total flow isn't the be and do all on a head....gardias does work for owen and also carries out headwork on ferarri's...must take some doing to gain on one of those!!

He said what id gain in top end id equally lose in low end grunt...i wanted something driveable :D

You gain more flow using a bvh but you can easily rob low lift flow costing you tractability and reducing port velocity which is something you don't want!!

Edited by huxley309

JamieTonks

that is a fantastic looking piece of kit. Well done

Shevy
Total flow isn't the be and do all on a head....gardias does work for owen and also carries out headwork on ferarri's...must take some doing to gain on one of those!!

He said what id gain in top end id equally lose in low end grunt...i wanted something driveable ;)

You gain more flow using a bvh but you can easily rob low lift flow costing you tractability and reducing port velocity which is something you don't want!!

I totally agree with you ,that with a big valve head if not done right, you will more than likely only gain at high lift and lose out at low lift as was the case with my old BVH, but if it is done properly you should gain as soon as the valve lifts off the seat meaning you will see gains all through the rev range. :D

Any idea's when your engine will be fully mapped ?

Jonmurgie

I know that Matt spent AGES on the head as Shevy points out it's hard work to get gains right across the range and he wasn't happy with it for ages, but eventually the improvements were there :D It is all to easy to 'stick in big valves' and do little work and that will destroy the flow on the head, the Mi16 head as discussed many times before is really very good in standard form!

No fixed target for getting the car mapped yet, got a lot to do first but it's slowly edging forward ;)

smckeown
I totally agree with you ,that with a big valve head if not done right, you will more than likely only gain at high lift and lose out at low lift as was the case with my old BVH

Who did your not so good head then ?

TEKNOPUG
You lot are nutters spending £3k plus on engines :D

I thought mine was bad at £950 :D

I spent £3k on my engine, although it did coome with a car attached to it...... ;)

Sam
Who did your not so good head then ?

I'll give you their initials in reverse order HFH.

huxley309
Any idea's when your engine will be fully mapped ?

Yeah done a fair bit of reading on this lately and port velocity not total flow it seems is what really counts

Remap...umm anytime on the week starting 24th july so in 4 weeks or so

Naturally i'll have it questioned but meh we'll see atm the car feels flat and crap as it could do with it now but i had to book a holiday...he won't map her at the weekens cos of the neighbours fussing sigh

Sign in to follow this