• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Scrutineers Paste?

bren_1.3

im looking for the paste or paint that scrutineers use to make sure engines / gearboxes have been sealed. the 205 challenge boys will know about it as theyre engines are sealed at the start of the season. i think its generally used on one make championships or championships that dont allow engine modifications. its generally an orange colour i think. id like some for making sure bolts havent turned etc etc on vital components.

any help much apprectiated........

MartinM

...and a bit OT, but in the same vein in terms of getting hold of unusual stuff - those pens that car dealers and the twerps on satellite TV car programmes use to write prices on the windscreens?

base-1

Torque Seal, you may even be able to get it from your local factor. Comes in many colours, all very pretty B)

SPGTi

Demon Tweeks sell it.

Steve

bren_1.3
...and a bit OT, but in the same vein in terms of getting hold of unusual stuff - those pens that car dealers and the twerps on satellite TV car programmes use to write prices on the windscreens?

maybe to you mate its over the top, but id rather take no chances on an engine thats costing me almost 2 grand to put together. plus id like my service crew to be able to see straight away if anythings come undone.

id rather not have my rally come to an end prematurely becasue a bolt has come loose (wherever it may be) which we should have seen during service.

end of.........

cheers base-1 and SPGTi.

MartinM

...err, excuse me, but OT stands for Off Topic, not Over The Top (since that would be OTT) :D

So to paraphrase my post "I know it's off topic from what's been posted, but in the same vein of asking about stuff that's not very common, what's the stuff that you use to write on windows blah blah blah"

In fact, on the strength of base-1's answer, I spent 20 mins on t'Internet looking to see where I could buy Torq Seal as I'd like some on my rally car as well as it seems a Good Thing to have - now that I know it exists!

It's seems a shame that it seems to be available in the US for about a $1, but the demon thieves want over £6 for it :blush:

Any idea where it can be had in the UK for a reasonable price?

Shake keyboards over this then Bren?

bren_1.3
...err, excuse me, but OT stands for Off Topic, not Over The Top (since that would be OTT)

So to paraphrase my post "I know it's off topic from what's been posted, but in the same vein of asking about stuff that's not very common, what's the stuff that you use to write on windows blah blah blah"

In fact, on the strength of base-1's answer, I spent 20 mins on t'Internet looking to see where I could buy Torq Seal as I'd like some on my rally car as well as it seems a Good Thing to have - now that I know it exists!

It's seems a shame that it seems to be available in the US for about a $1, but the demon thieves want over £6 for it

Any idea where it can be had in the UK for a reasonable price?

Shake keyboards over this then Bren?

must apologise for my words! it was wrong of me to say what i said. i mean no disrespect and i totally misread and misunderstood your post. :):)

ill do something useful now and post some links up.......

www.lightaero.co.uk

its £3.15 there and i cant imagine postage being a great deal on it!

MartinM

No probs mate!

The lightaero site looks interesting - my guess is that the /DATE versions at £3.15 have some sort of certification/best before date that might be a requirement for aircraft use, but the "Commercial Product" at £1 is probably all we need....so even cheaper B)

It's great to be able to visually inspect a nut or bolt to see if its moved, but I suspect that it won't always be appropriate - I can't think of an example (maybe there isn't one!) but maybe the clamping force exerted by a nut/bolt can reduce (ie it essentially becomes loose), but the nut/bolt hasn't actually rotated - cylinder head bolts, some suspension components maybe?

Thoughts?

Edited by MartinM

bren_1.3
It's great to be able to visually inspect a nut or bolt to see if its moved, but I suspect that it won't always be appropriate - I can't think of an example (maybe there isn't one!) but maybe the clamping force exerted by a nut/bolt can reduce (ie it essentially becomes loose), but the nut/bolt hasn't actually rotated - cylinder head bolts, some suspension components maybe?

ive earmarked the bottom wishbone pinch bolt, and caliper mounting bolts, ive also earmarked the cam and crank sprocket bolts as well as gearbox to engine bolts. thats all i could think of for the time being!!!

jackherer
ive earmarked the bottom wishbone pinch bolt, and caliper mounting bolts, ive also earmarked the cam and crank sprocket bolts as well as gearbox to engine bolts. thats all i could think of for the time being!!!

the subframe bolts have a tendency to come loose so are worth marking I'd say.

boombang

For the record I ordered some torque seal from lightaero after seeing this thread (14/06) and its still not arrived.

I checked last months bank statement and saw it on there and suddently remembered about the order! Gave them a call today and they have no record of the order or payment apparently so looking into it for me now.

Personally I would go elsewhere if you are after any!

boombang

They replied already - apparently it was all sent out but must've got lost so they are sending out the order again.

Might be true! :P

Guest BrainFluid

would two blobs of tipex not suffice? one on the bolt and one next to the bolt?

boombang

I doubt tippex would last well in a competition car environment - some of the things this will be used for will get very hot, plus my order was for orange which should show up well too.

Wurzel

Tippex doesn't last too long unfortunately, not oil resistant. I have used it as a blag though for the short term :blush:

I can probably get a few tubes of it next week if people are still desperate. It will be the green stuff though, very durable.

American idea with 'anti sabotage' written all over it, apparantly nasty crap though from the SDS so don't go eating it :blush:

We stick it all over the pitch change rods etc on helicopter main rotor heads and it seems to last until we chip it off.

Edited by Wurzel

boombang

After the queries of where it was yesterday the stuff arrived today :)

Goodwood2Go

A colleage of mine ordered a bottle of "Anti-Tamper Paint" for electronics from RS.

Looked & smelled suspiciously like Red Nail Polish though :)

Edited by Goodwood2Go

bren_1.3
After the queries of where it was yesterday the stuff arrived today

which type was i that you orderedt? the £3.15 stuff or the £1 stuff? what was postage for it? i still havent got round to getting some of this! :) arse=1st gear

boombang

just spotted your post!

It is the £1 stuff. Postage was ridiculously expensive but the packing was also huge and full of expanded polystyrene 8's.

Would recommend going elsewhere as sure it is available locally from perhaps a hardware shop or decent motorfactors

Sign in to follow this