• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rick03054

Cambelt Feels Slack After Change...

Guest rick03054

That's exactly what I did, sounds exactly the same issue as Davidt83.

Not so much a problem it's just the fact that the holes are slightly misaligned that I'm asking about. I'm certain it would run but might not be perfectly timed up. Just wanted to get it perfect first time thats all.

Rob_the_Sparky
Well when i did mine a few days ago for the first time, I had the same problem as you Rick, when it was correctly tensioned the timing pulleys didnt quite align.

As in if I had the crank rotated so that I could fit the 10mm drill bit in the crank pulley timing hole (using the non drill end of the drill bit), the same end of the bit would not fit into the cam pulley timing hole.

But if I used the drill end of the drill bit it would go through the cam timing hole.

So obviously it wasnt far out, I tried a few times to get it better, but every time I would tighten the crank pulley bolt and then turn the engine over by hand a couple of times it would still be out by that much.

So I decided to just give it a go, and now it runs fine (not lumpy as far as I can tell, and doesnt seem to be down on power but I havent had it rolling roaded). I cant be 100% sure as I dont really know the small things I would be looking out for if it was wrong.

After doing a search I think if the timing was only slightly out it would just be slightly advanced or retarded depending on which way the timing was out??

Although after reading this I am tempted to take the belt off and try and retime it using Alex's method.

This could be caused by skimming the head, it makes a very slight difference to the length of the belt between the cam and crank so can lead to slight mis-alignments. Clearly this effect will be greater the more the head/block have been skimmed.

Rob

Guest rick03054

That crossed my mind but cant exactly check without removing the head. And the holes lined up fine with the old belt and the tension seemed ok, I may just be being over critical of the 90 degree twist aswell. Just terrified of the belt slipping.

I'll probably just leave it a little bit out just now, better that than a loose belt IMO.

Sign in to follow this