• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Would The 205 Benefit From A Spoiler

Rob Thomson

Why would you want the rear to have more stability?! Let the bugger drift.

Personally I think carefully designed aero kits are all very well and good, but there's bugger all point just bolting something on. It'll probably do absolutely chuff-all of any benefit, while neatly destroying the 205's slippy standard shape.

smckeown

well with a lightweight F/G hatch, it got a little tail happy last time on occasion...

pug_ham

Without any proper research I doubt a bolt on "look at me" type spolier will have any real benefit except for the extra few kg's over the back.

Graham.

boombang
well with a lightweight F/G hatch, it got a little tail happy last time on occasion...

If you're experiencing too much rear end steer then could be that the rear suspension setup is too hard or too hard compared to the fronts

Butler

Agreed.

Just get it on track and develop it from there. Anything you do now is guess work until you drive it.

Plus half to charm of the 205 is its oversteering nature. Makes it fun.

Edited by Butler

Guest rick03054

If your gonna do it, do it right. T16 evolution 2 style!!! :angry::lol::lol:

sonofsam

What like this :angry::lol:

88cross_frequelin2lll.jpg

Baz
:angry: Well i wouldn't go that far!! That's a Pikes Peak one, the Evo2 is alot smaller than that, more like a whale tail.

Simes
B) Well i wouldn't go that far!! That's a Pikes Peak one, the Evo2 is alot smaller than that, more like a whale tail.

Yep it's actually the one that is bolted to the roof in that pic. ;)

base-1

Plus he is racing against somebody.... I'd guess that's a Rallycross car

24seven

If you want to improve the car's aerodynamics, try somethng like a smooth undertray, like this;

Undertray_A3.jpg

Also has the advantage of acting as a sump/tank gurd. I'm thinking of doing something like that to my 205 track car, and insulawrapping the full length of the exhaust to stop heat building up under there, or would that damage the exhaust?

Edited by 24Seven

Rippthrough

I can see either the sumpgurad or the method above that helping much - bot introduce as many ridges and vortices as they'll eliminate.

I would say theres a lot you could improve aero wise on the 205, if you had the time, tools and skills to do it.

24seven
I can see either the sumpgurad or the method above that helping much - bot introduce as many ridges and vortices as they'll eliminate.

I would say theres a lot you could improve aero wise on the 205, if you had the time, tools and skills to do it.

The picture I linked was just the first half decent one I found on google. You're right, that's not a brilliant example of a smooth undertray, but I reckon it yould make an improvement (except the the folded area of metal you can see).

tech_pic_aero_flatbottom.jpg

This is more like what I mean (Ferrari F355). It's definately a proven working way to improve vehicle aerodynamics, proven on F1, WRC and touring cars.

Edited by 24Seven

Rippthrough
The picture I linked was just the first half decent one I found on google. You're right, that's not a brilliant example of a smooth undertray, but I reckon it yould make an improvement (except the the folded area of metal you can see).

tech_pic_aero_flatbottom.jpg

This is more like what I mean (Ferrari F355). It's definately a proven working way to improve vehicle aerodynamics, proven on F1, WRC and touring cars.

Yup, there's certainly a lot to do. The front 1/3 of the bonnet and the top of the windscreen I reckon could use a little work just looking at them in pics.

jonD6B

Doesn't the undertray provide down force along the whole length of the car where as the rear spoiler will just help pin down the rear of the car (Assuming it's rear roof mounted)? I would have thought that benefit of a rear spoiler could be seen on long fast corners but would have my doubts on low/medium speed corners personally.

hengti

strikes me as a little over the top personally. it's a Peugeot 205 - not a Ferrari or a McLaren, or a works Pikes Peak car for that matter

that Mini looks like a rolling advert for John Cooper garages anyway - why is it fitted with spot lamps?? I'll bet JCG sell the gaffer tape they've tried holding it together with for a fortune too!

24seven
Doesn't the undertray provide down force along the whole length of the car where as the rear spoiler will just help pin down the rear of the car (Assuming it's rear roof mounted)? I would have thought that benefit of a rear spoiler could be seen on long fast corners but would have my doubts on low/medium speed corners personally.

yes you're right, but the biggest advantage of an undertray is that it doesn't affect the drag coefficient of the car (or if it does, it's absolutely minimal) which is a major contributing factor limiting the car's top end speed. It's one of the best ways of obtaining downforce, and if you get it right (get it wrong and you've got some serious problems which is why few people bother) has virtually no negative side effects.

If you want more rear stability on a 205 there are other things to consider before front/rear wing downforce, such as torsion bars, dampers, anti-roll bars, camber, toe, tyre pressures etc (plus you won't chavdestruct that beautiful pininfarina styling).

Edited by 24Seven

smckeown
If you want more rear stability on a 205 there are other things to consider before front/rear wing downforce, such as torsion bars, dampers, anti-roll bars, camber, toe, tyre pressures etc (plus you won't chavdestruct that beautiful pininfarina styling).

Already got all that

24seven

Then tweak it until it works better :D.

Rippthrough
strikes me as a little over the top personally. it's a Peugeot 205 - not a Ferrari or a McLaren, or a works Pikes Peak car for that matter

And? There's people on here probably into 3 figures on the track. A 205 probably takes about 40bhp to push through the air at 80mph, that's a lot of power that could be put to other uses. At 100+ your losing a lot of power.

If you took the time to develop it you could probably have the car generating negative lift at all four corners for little in the way of more drag. Or you could just streamline it and get one up to 160mph...

Aerodynamics affect the even at low speeds. They start to cause a noticeable effect at little more than 35mph for most of the cars on the raod today.

Edited by Rippthrough

hengti

and ... the car's over 20 years old. do you not think someone other than the works teams would already have tried either aero kits or undertrays by now if they were effective and simple to design/build/install?

science vs. common sense really

it'd be interesting to find out what kind of difference people might get out of mods like this, but you can bet that they'll be far from optimum on the the kind of budgets we're realistically talking about

Powers

The French lads use a carbon spoiler on their Maxi cars, so it has been proven.

The website is http://www.mcracingsa.com/PEUGEOT205M.htm

It is 210 Euros.

Edited by Powers

Rippthrough
and ... the car's over 20 years old. do you not think someone other than the works teams would already have tried either aero kits or undertrays by now if they were effective and simple to design/build/install?

science vs. common sense really

it'd be interesting to find out what kind of difference people might get out of mods like this, but you can bet that they'll be far from optimum on the the kind of budgets we're realistically talking about

I never said it was simple.

gats15

May look good but i think spoilers only really effect performance at supercar speeds 160mph+

Sign in to follow this