• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Would The 205 Benefit From A Spoiler

Guest smokinslim

How often do you see an AUDI TT doing 160mph on the m11? Early models were dangerously tail-happy, so they fitted that funny little spoiler - problem solved. I'm not suggesting that fitting a spoiler would drastically improve the 205 mind, but i'm interested in knowing more.

There must be people on the forum who have fitted spoilers of various kinds to their cars, however simple or elaborate. Perhaps some could share their before and after thoughts with us?

I once fitted a citroen xm boot spoiler to the roof of a beat up 1.0 nova. Stuck out like a very sore thumb but it did corner better afterwards. I dare say it slowed me down some but speed wasn't that car's forte. Pre spoiler i got 108 once but that was down a very big hill :P Last time i heard the spoiler was riding atop a landrover :lol:

Henry Yorke

On my Alfa 155, I did some research onto what difference the aero kit that the BTCC cars ran actually had on the cars before it got banned.

2Alfa-windows.jpg

I have the front splitter (though it is retracted in in the above pic) and a variation of the ofiginal Alfa 155 Silverstone "jacked up" rear spoiler. It was these two items that got outlawed after they proved so effective at high speed tracks like Thruxton (watch them pull away on the long straights on the 1994 BTCC video!)

Late 155's are fitted with an undertray at the front, but early V6's had one at the rear, so I sourced one of these so I have a pretty smooth underneath.

These aerodynamics do nothing noticable under 100 mph, but when you wind it up to about 140, the ground effect / downforce combination is incredible. This is because the spoiler has an aerodynamic flick in its plane so actually works.

Surely you will have played with your E30 M3 Evo sport adjustable front and rear spoilers to see what effect they had? The front has many different positions and combined with the impressive undertray system must make a heck of a lot of difference. Since the Evo sport front end was fitted to my dad's Schnitzer M3 he says the back now feels light and the handling is significantly better than his other standard E30 M3

2M3-new1.jpg

Guest Tizerdrinker

I may be wrong but i do believe Mr smckeown is having a cheeky little giggle at everyones expense with his crazy comments and comedy declaration of spoiler love . (Just check out the airfix model pic)

Going by the number of responses i think he has definatly achieved his aim.

Mind you as I know diddly squat about track day racing I may end up looking like a complete bafoon with my comment. Who knows?

PS I have just experienced the lows and highs of English football,fuelled by a large amount of cheap lager and assorted snacks and nibbles so I do have a bit of an excuse. :lol:

smckeown
Mind you as I know diddly squat about track day racing I may end up looking like a complete bafoon with my comment. Who knows?

Well at least you got something right...

Jonmurgie
May look good but i think spoilers only really effect performance at supercar speeds 160mph+

They why do they bother with them on Rally cars?! There are clearly benefits to having the correct spoilers fitted in the right place on cars... but this is usually born out of hours and hours of wind tunnel experimentation and £1000's in development time.

If someone had access to a wind tunnel then it would be very interesting to see if there were any benefits to 'decent' spoilers on the 205...

johnrobertgordon

a spoiler will take effect at anything over 60mph. So yes a spoiler will have an effect on a 205.

Rob_the_Sparky

But whether the effect is desirable or not takes a lot of work to decide...

crogthomas

At your next track day why not drive round with the boot held open with some metal rods and tell us what difference it makes?

Im serious! (I think).

smckeown

hmm me thinks that would be rather silly. Even more so as my boot is fibreflass, so it's either on or off :P

Rippthrough

A negative lift profile over the wisbones and perhaps attached to the trailing arms would be interesting. You really need a floorpan to go with though.

tagy

my boot flew open once at 115mph, that was a massive air brake, and slowed me down quite suddenly.

Sign in to follow this