• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pete C

Severe Engine/transmission Wobble

Pete C

The engine/box in my 205 has moved around a fair bit ever since I bought it, but I was driving home tonight and it got really bad.

With it in gear and under load the gearstick was wobbling from side to side violently, I could feel the whole front of the car vibrating. If I put in neutral and rolled, or dipped the clutch then the vibration stopped instantly. Off the throttle was fine too. It seemed to be speed related, the faster you went the faster it got; certainly wasn't related to engine revolutions.

I could even feel it at low speed (i.e. 10mph) with my hand on the gearstick, it was moving in a kinda circular motion (side to side a lot more pronounced than back and forth) :)

Interestingly enough after I jacked the car up to check the mounts it went away once the car was back on the floor and I went for a spin, only to return about 2 mins later, but not quite as bad and in a slightly different way (now it was doing it off throttle but in gear?) :unsure:

What needs replacing?

Edited by Pete C

Richie-Van-GTi

Engine mounts need replacing, more than likely the lower mount. Id reccomend td top mount and gearbox mount with a group N lower mount. Slightly vibratey in the car but not overly stiff like a full set of group N's

Butler

I am guessing your engine and gearbox are coming away from each other. I had this issue when I first got my 205 and I have heard of other issues the same.

Pete C
I am guessing your engine and gearbox are coming away from each other. I had this issue when I first got my 205 and I have heard of other issues the same.

How the hell does that happen? Bellhousing bolts just coming loose?

jackherer
How the hell does that happen? Bellhousing bolts just coming loose?

yes, surprisingly common problem. its likely your engine mounts (lower one particularly) are old and worn which allows the engine/gearbox to move around too much and eventually the bolts loosen (followed by the left driveshaft popping out). I've also seen the same issue on a 106 rallye so its a peugeot thing not a 205 thing!

I always torque them very carefully now and use loctite on ones I've had a problem with in the past. If you find that you do have this problem after you've tightened it back together check the long driveshafts intermediate bearing is correctly positioned as the bolts that hold it can become bent.

Pete C

Aha, thanks for the explanation jackherer, that makes a lot of sense to me! I had a look at my lower engine mount last night and it doesn't look great; I did get a new one with the car though, so maybe I'll look into fitting that soon to help cure the problem.

This is a great forum, I'm very impressed by the level of knowledge on here :unsure:

In the meantime though, I'm off to Halfords to get some Loctite and I'll do them all up carefully :)

Can anyone tell me off the top of their head how many bolts there should be and maybe where they all are so I don't miss any?

jackherer

I think there are three (maybe four?) 16mm bolts going into the engine block from the gearbox side and one 8mm allen bolt going from the engine side into the gearbox - this is the lowest bolt, accessed from under the car, and its this one that is most likely to be loose in my experience. If it is loose then the three bolts holding the starter motor may have worked loose as well so are worth checking.

ALEX

If its not that check for play in the driveshfts.

Same symptoms of a failing inboard cv joint.

Pete C

Thanks again guys... looks like I'm going to be having some fun after work tonight! :)

Don't think I even own an 8mm allen key bit.

P.S. - is there any way I can get the board to store a cookie on my PC so it doesn't keep logging me out? I know there is on just about every other board I use...

Edited by Pete C

Ryan
P.S. - is there any way I can get the board to store a cookie on my PC so it doesn't keep logging me out? I know there is on just about every other board I use...

Tick the "remeber me" box on the login page.

24seven

on the topic of engine mounts, where can you get group N mounts? Is there any such thing as group A mounts?

Simes

Like already mentioned check for driveshaft issues.

I had this last year drving back from the Alpes, all of a sudden a bang and the car is wobbling terribly.

After jacking it up and making sure nothing wasn't going to fall off we carried on home, albeit with a lesser vibration all the way through the car at motorway speeds. grrrrrrr double vision.

Swapped the Driveshaft seemed to have solved it.

on the topic of engine mounts, where can you get group N mounts? Is there any such thing as group A mounts?

AB motorsport/ Skip brown etc... yes AFAIK Group A do exist, do you like pain?

Tick the "remeber me" box on the login page.

Doesn't work, it will log you out of the for example your work PC when you log in on your home PC.

it's a safety measure.

24seven

it's not about pain. I'm not planning a road car :).

t16ryan

Its prob gearbox coming away from engine, they come undone mainly if you dont have any dowels fitted

jonnie205

Almost certainly drive shaft issues but could alos be bellhosuing bolts. Engine mounts dont generally cause those symptoms. I have had this a few times and new drive shafts have always been the cure

Pete C

Well, the gearbox is still firmly attached to the engine - but there's loads of play in the o/s driveshaft inboard bearing, some in the n/s driveshaft, and the lower engine mount bush doesn't look very good.

I reckon that'll about do it! :)

stew205

Also have a look on my website www.bakerbm.com

I offer a 10% discount to forum members, just quote 205drivers upon ordering.

Thanks

Stewart

24seven
Also have a look on my website www.bakerbm.com

I offer a 10% discount to forum members, just quote 205drivers upon ordering.

Thanks

Stewart

That group N kit looks about right for what I want I rekcon. Also I'd go for the group A rear beam mounting. what are the prices on those?

Pete C

Both driveshafts replaced with reconditioned pattern items from Partco - worked out about £45 a side inc VAT. Also replaced the lower engine mount with a genuine Peugeot one that the previous owner gave me when I bought the car.

Problem now solved, car feels better than it has since I've owned it :P

Cheers for the help guys :)

Edited by Pete C

ALEX

So who's coming round to my house then to give me a big pat on the back? :blush:

I'm well chuffed

Pete C
So who's coming round to my house then to give me a big pat on the back? :blush:

I'm well chuffed

I owe you a pint :o

Sign in to follow this