• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Final Drive And Cwp Ratio

bren_1.3

anyone know the final drive ratio and crown wheel pinion ratio of the 1.3 euro rallye gearbox offhand? what are the gear ratios of the UK rallye / XS / euro rallye? surely theyre not all the same? does anyone have the figures for them or know where to find them?

BERTMAN

i dont know what the gear ratios are but i know the UK rallye and XS's are different, the UK rallye has longer drive ratios...

*typo*

Edited by BERTMAN

Guest Nuno205Rallye

The Euro Rallye has got a 14X60 final drive.

Decimal is something like 4,290:1

Guest nwr161282

The 1.3 rallye 106 has a 13/59 final drive giving a 4.5 ratio. Its quite closely geared aswell good for acceleration but not so much top end. Have got each gear ratio at home can dig it out if needed.

bren_1.3

wiked so a 3.94 cwp is going to be a bit of a beast? please if you can dig them out that would be much appreciated.

Rob Thomson

No, a 3.94 CWP will be slow.

My 106 Rallye has a 5.1 CWP (I think) and is mentally fast for a 1.3 to about 80. Then the lack of power starts to show. It's on the limiter in 5th at about 98mph indicated, which is more than you'll ever need unless you think that top speed is in any way important.

Jer309GTi
It's on the limiter in 5th at about 98mph indicated, which is more than you'll ever need unless you think that top speed is in any way important.

Well said, whenever I tell people that 100mph is more than enough they look at me like I'm mad :)

bren_1.3

My 106 Rallye has a 5.1 CWP (I think) and is mentally fast for a 1.3 to about 80. Then the lack of power starts to show. It's on the limiter in 5th at about 98mph indicated, which is more than you'll ever need unless you think that top speed is in any way important.

ahhh i see. i can see it being more for track use then.

interesting to note the 106 rallye's ratios. i take it theyre using an MA box?

Sam
Well said, whenever I tell people that 100mph is more than enough they look at me like I'm mad :)

It is but it makes crusing on the motorway a complete chore, and I had 107mph top speed!

Rob Thomson
ahhh i see. i can see it being more for track use then.

interesting to note the 106 rallye's ratios. i take it theyre using an MA box?

Mine's an MA box. The ratios are standard Rallye, but the CWP isn't. It's made by Gripper and came with the LSD.

It is but it makes crusing on the motorway a complete chore, and I had 107mph top speed!

That's why I've got a trailer...

Sam

Lucky git :)

bren_1.3

anyway back on track.

if anyone can help me with the ratios that would be a great help.

casnell

Where'd the 5.1 come from? A regular, available kinda thing?

Sandy

3.58:1 Tallest available afaik, fitted to some 1360cc base model AX, 106 and 205.

3.77:1 Some 1124cc and most base model 1360cc 106, 205 (inc UK Rallye), Saxo VTR.

3.98:1 106GTI, Saxo VTS and most ZX/306 1587cc and 1360cc models.

4.06:1 106XSi 1.6, 106 Rallye 1.6.

4.29:1 AX GT, 205 XS, 106XSi 1.4, 205 Euro Rallye (LHD), some 306/ZX 1360cc models.

4.54:1 106 Rallye 1.3, some 306 1360cc models.

4.93:1 Some 106 1.4 diesels, not see one yet, but they do exist.

The base model gear ratios vary, but the sporty models all have the same ratios, only the final drive changes, so saying the 106 1.3 rallye has closer gear spacing than the GTi is incorrect, it's just shorter geared overall. (Pedantic side breaking through there :angry: )

Sporty gear ratios are:

1st 3.417:1

2nd 1.95:1

3rd 1.36:1

4th 1.05:1

5th 0.85:1

The net effect is all MA boxes have an awful rev drop from first to second gear, which also tends to lead to synchro damage over time.

Rob Thomson
Where'd the 5.1 come from? A regular, available kinda thing?

A company called Gripper who also made the LSD. To be quite honest, I'm not convinced about the quality or the merits of reducing the final drive ratio. It's probably quicker between 50 & 90 mph, but 1st gear is gone in an instant and you lose more time through extra gear changing than you gain from the lower gears... It came with the car but personally I wouldn't bother and save the money for a proper gearbox.

casnell
The net effect is all MA boxes have an awful rev drop from first to second gear, which also tends to lead to synchro damage over time.

That's the prob with my current box, rev it out in first, bogs a bit in second. I'm swapping to an Mi16 CWP and 1st, and 1.9 8 valve 2nd-5th.

Sandy
That's the prob with my current box, rev it out in first, bogs a bit in second. I'm swapping to an Mi16 CWP and 1st, and 1.9 8 valve 2nd-5th.

Will they fit??

casnell
Will they fit??

Hope so! Ive got a BE1(8-valve) and BE3 (Mi16 S1)to play with...

Edited by casnell

bren_1.3
Hope so! Ive got a BE1(8-valve) and BE3 (Mi16 S1)to play with...

have you converted the BE gearbox to run on a TU engine in some way? or are you talking about an XU engine?

3.58:1 Tallest available afaik, fitted to some 1360cc base model AX, 106 and 205.

3.77:1 Some 1124cc and most base model 1360cc 106, 205 (inc UK Rallye), Saxo VTR.

3.98:1 106GTI, Saxo VTS and most ZX/306 1587cc and 1360cc models.

4.06:1 106XSi 1.6, 106 Rallye 1.6.

4.29:1 AX GT, 205 XS, 106XSi 1.4, 205 Euro Rallye (LHD), some 306/ZX 1360cc models.

4.54:1 106 Rallye 1.3, some 306 1360cc models.

4.93:1 Some 106 1.4 diesels, not see one yet, but they do exist.

so a 3.94 is slightly taller than a VTS, guess it isnt worth fitting to a rally car. that 1400 diesel final drive could prove useful. the 205 challenge boys use 4.8's in their BE gearboxes and so far have proved faster than fellow competitors on standard ratios.

casnell
have you converted the BE gearbox to run on a TU engine in some way? or are you talking about an XU engine?

XU

205Rallee
Mine's an MA box. The ratios are standard Rallye, but the CWP isn't. It's made by Gripper and came with the LSD.

That's why I've got a trailer...

I run a TU24 205 Rallye :D with quaife gearkit and AP suretrac diff with std CWP, with std rev limiter at 7,200 does 95 mph in 5th. With the whining from the gears and the twin 40's and no sound proofing, I don't use a trailer just eraplugs!

Rob Thomson
I run a TU24 205 Rallye :) with quaife gearkit and AP suretrac diff with std CWP, with std rev limiter at 7,200 does 95 mph in 5th. With the whining from the gears and the twin 40's and no sound proofing, I don't use a trailer just eraplugs!

I thought the Quaife gearkit was helical? I've been wondering about getting one since the standard gearbox seems to be a weak link, but wanted a proper whiner...

Sam

I have the 'short' Quaife kit in mine, I think its Semi-Helical, certainly doesn't sound like a Helical box, but not Straight cut either.

Rob Thomson

Cool - now where did I put my VISA card...?

Sam

I'll have my box apart soon. The synchros have died and have a problem with the selectors but if the gears are ok they will be for sale cheap, done ~10k.

Sign in to follow this