• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
felix2566

Smoking Carbs

felix2566

My car runs on a pair of webber 40's but lately (post FCS) it has real problems with starting when it is warm. More often than not it will not start at all. It just cranks over fine but will not fire. If it does fire for a bit it sounds really rough and smoke pours out of the carbs and then it stalls again. It will start when it is cold.

could there be a problem with the fuel vapourising inside the pipe (it is routed internally next to the exhaust tunnel) and the pump not being able to pull the fuel up?

Once the car is running it is fine and the idle seems ok, bit high at first, 1500 rpm but then settles to around 1100. I thought it might be an ignition problem at first, due to it not wanting to fire, but i checked it, and it all seems ok. Which leads me to think that it could be the carbs. Do they just need a good service and set up? If they do, can any one recomend a place in the Gloucester area who could set/tune them for me?

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this