• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fast lane

1.9 Cat Running Probs

fast lane

Hi all, i wonder if antone can help me please.

She has been running like a pig, i cleaned the idle valve, changed pressure regulator, and water temperature sensor which improved it a lot. (cleaning the idle valve did the most i think)

It now feels lumpy on slight acceleration only, Hard throttle is fine and so is tick over???

Also if you rev the engine in neutral up to about 2000 rpm plus. it revs up but does not hold still when it should.

The revs drop and then gain slightly then drop etc etc.

Has anyone else had this problem????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and looked into.

I know 205 gti's are not the smoothest running car of all but i am sure mine is not 100%.

Jer309GTi

Do you get the engine management light come on? If you do it'll be worth getting hold of a diagnostic tool (or making one) to see what the fault is.

fast lane

Hi, thanks for your reply

In the beginning the diag light was on and it was running really bad.

It seems that when i cleaned the idle valve,(really gunked up) it almost sorted it.

I did take it to 2 different sources when the light was on but in both cases the diag machine would not connect????

Since i cleaned the idle valve, the engine diagnostic light has stayed off which makes me think that, that was the problem.

It is still not 100%, think i should find out if the wiring is ok going to the ecu, and if not fix it and then see what the computer has to say.

Seems to me that it requires a thorough re tune (i hope) or it may be something electrical.

It still wont hold steady if you rev it up to about 2000 to 2500rpm in neutral. seems to fluctuate more than i think it should.

Perhaps it just needs a really good clean out.

thanks again

petert

sounds like a faulty O2 sensor to me. I had the exact same problem.

fast lane

Also i would like to add:-

Starts well now but after a short time engine starts to splutter under a small amount of power being applied.

Allmost seems as if there is a petrol shortage, but if you sink the throttle more and depress the clutch it begins to revive and rev up again, then seems to clear and run fine again.

all within 5 minutes after start up.

I did have an issue with the Co sensor in the exhaust, the wireing was shorting out on the bulk head, bought a new lambda sensor then found out it was the wireing.

The new sensor is now well over a year old now so i guess it could be faulty.

The wireing that was shorting on the bulk head (behind water expansion tank phase 2) was repaired by a mechanic and still looks good, sealed etc.

Also when the car is running normal, or as good as it can at the moment, it has really good torque low down up to about 3000rpm but if i then sink the throttle too fast to the floor it seems to hold back slightly but still accelerates all the way up.

Where as if i push the throttle down smoothly and let the revs keep up with it , it doesnt hold back???

Could this have anything to do with the timing/tuning???

One last little query, when you are driving at approx 2000rpm in say 3rd gear holding it seady the engine doesnt seem to be very smooth. Almost jerky.

Could this be a problem with the coil not giving a smooth flow of power, or could it be to do with the alternator not doing its job properly??

It doesnt drain the battery, that still seems quite strong.

I realise that all these symtoms may not be from one source, but any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your replies

much appreciated :)

Pug_101
Also i would like to add:-

Starts well now but after a short time engine starts to splutter under a small amount of power being applied.

Allmost seems as if there is a petrol shortage, but if you sink the throttle more and depress the clutch it begins to revive and rev up again, then seems to clear and run fine again.

all within 5 minutes after start up.

I did have an issue with the Co sensor in the exhaust, the wireing was shorting out on the bulk head, bought a new lambda sensor then found out it was the wireing.

The new sensor is now well over a year old now so i guess it could be faulty.

The wireing that was shorting on the bulk head (behind water expansion tank phase 2) was repaired by a mechanic and still looks good, sealed etc.

Also when the car is running normal, or as good as it can at the moment, it has really good torque low down up to about 3000rpm but if i then sink the throttle too fast to the floor it seems to hold back slightly but still accelerates all the way up.

Where as if i push the throttle down smoothly and let the revs keep up with it , it doesnt hold back???

Could this have anything to do with the timing/tuning???

One last little query, when you are driving at approx 2000rpm in say 3rd gear holding it seady the engine doesnt seem to be very smooth. Almost jerky.

Could this be a problem with the coil not giving a smooth flow of power, or could it be to do with the alternator not doing its job properly??

It doesnt drain the battery, that still seems quite strong.

I realise that all these symtoms may not be from one source, but any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your replies

I am currently having very similar symptoms.

To add some info to this. Today I changed or at least started to change the crank breather pipes so took off the afm and 3 rubber pipes. With the car in this state I started it (no afm) and let it idle which was no problem. I then started to put the rubber pipes and afm back on while the engine was running (I know :) ) so moved the afm cable out of the way and the engine stalled, I was able to repeat this fault several times. Also when connecting the afm connector twice it nearly stalled and the third time it was fine.

I checked the wiring out as best I could and saw no fault with that part of the wiring loom, but it connects into a bigger loom running across the top of the gearbox. I suspect there is a fault around this point, but did not have time to investigate further. When driving the car the K light came on several times and the engine ran worse when it did.

Is there a sensor around the loom connection point that could cause this problem or a known weakness?

I was going to fit the later dizzy less system today, but it has not yet arrived from "inferno". i was hoped this would at least answer some questions such as fuel or spark.

pugrallye

throtlle postion sensor mate

fast lane

hi and thanks for your replies.

To Pugrallye

Is the throttle position sensor ajustable ie it looks like it has a small amount of ajustment with the two bolts retaining it either side.

Could this maybe just need ajusting, or just possably faulty?

And also if you fit a new one does it require any setting up at all? ie set at the correct position

And just to be sure, is the throttle sensor the black box on the side of the throttle body facing the radiator with a black multiplug connecting to the loom?

Pug 101 hope you get to the bottom of your problem to

i am sure that my car hasnt been right for a long time and would like to know if your 'dizzyless dizzy' makes any improvement to your car.

Most of the components on my car are original so i dont mind changing a few things as it has covered 106.000 miles.

Pug_101
hi and thanks for your replies.

To Pugrallye

Is the throttle position sensor ajustable ie it looks like it has a small amount of ajustment with the two bolts retaining it either side.

Could this maybe just need ajusting, or just possably faulty?

And also if you fit a new one does it require any setting up at all? ie set at the correct position

And just to be sure, is the throttle sensor the black box on the side of the throttle body facing the radiator with a black multiplug connecting to the loom?

Pug 101 hope you get to the bottom of your problem to

i am sure that my car hasnt been right for a long time and would like to know if your 'dizzyless dizzy' makes any improvement to your car.

Most of the components on my car are original so i dont mind changing a few things as it has covered 106.000 miles.

Yes thats the sensor.

Check this thread out, pugtorque's the guy.

TPS

I'll let you know.

Cheers

fast lane

Thanks again for your help

Sign in to follow this