• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonand

Megasquirt - Replacement For Broken Motronic ?

jonand

My Motronic 4.1 seems to have died on my Mi16 - As I need this running VERY soon (race car) I would like opinions on the feasability of buying a built up Megasquirt system as a replacement for the std ecu. It looks like you can use most (if not all) of the original sensors - but I realise that it will need mapping. Are there maps available to replicate the std settings as a start point ? I have looked at the megaquirt site - but am still a little confused. :D

Thanks

Jon

Pug_101
My Motronic 4.1 seems to have died on my Mi16 - As I need this running VERY soon (race car) I would like opinions on the feasability of buying a built up Megasquirt system as a replacement for the std ecu. It looks like you can use most (if not all) of the original sensors - but I realise that it will need mapping. Are there maps available to replicate the std settings as a start point ? I have looked at the megaquirt site - but am still a little confused. :)

Thanks

Jon

Yes you can use the megasquirt, but you may need a lot of time to set it up and could do your engine damage if you rush it and get it wrong especially if your racing.

The best way to set it up is with the wideband hego sensor, just set in some basic values to start the engine then the Hego will allow the Megasquirt to learn the map for your car. It may still need some tuning after.

if you need a quick setup I would fix what youi've got although the megasquirt will give you more options later such as Throttle bodies.

Look at the sucess stories on the megasquirt web page for Mi16 and ask for a copy of there map to start you off.

taffycrook

Are you sure the ecu is the problem they are very robust units.

I would replace the ecu in the short term and plan for the megasquirt as its not as easy as it appears to get spot on.

jonand
Are you sure the ecu is the problem they are very robust units.

I would replace the ecu in the short term and plan for the megasquirt as its not as easy as it appears to get spot on.

Thanks for that.

I'm not 100% sure its the ecu. I am not getting spark or fuel. All power and earth tests seem Ok, but the pump relay is not earthing through the ecu (pin 20) as it should on cranking. I initially thought it was the crank sensor, but it seems to test ok and I have tried a replacement. Also I cannot get any fault code out of the ecu - even with a Draper code reader.

Unfortunately I dont have access to another ecu to try out - hence my predicament.

Cheers

Jon

Yes you can use the megasquirt, but you may need a lot of time to set it up and could do your engine damage if you rush it and get it wrong especially if your racing.

The best way to set it up is with the wideband hego sensor, just set in some basic values to start the engine then the Hego will allow the Megasquirt to learn the map for your car. It may still need some tuning after.

if you need a quick setup I would fix what youi've got although the megasquirt will give you more options later such as Throttle bodies.

Look at the sucess stories on the megasquirt web page for Mi16 and ask for a copy of there map to start you off.

Thanks for that.

I think you're right - I like the idea of the MS but it looks like it could be time consuming - and possibly frustrating. I will watch the MS developments on this forum with interest.

Regards

Jon

Sign in to follow this