• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

2litre Turbo Timing Belt Too Tight... Help?!

inferno

i put the cam belt on my xu10 after replaceing the gasket, and with the tensioner fully off it seems too tight, id say its a little tighter than it should be when fully tensioned. i rotated the crank several times to see if itll slacken off a little but it doesnt!

ive replaced the water pump at the same time, but both pumps are identical, and the belt is a gates belt with sam number of teeth as the old belt! any ideas?

sonofsam

Mine was a little on the snug side going on for sure,but not mega tight

Photo-01851.jpg

114 Teeth on that belt.

Did you align the belt with the previous timing marks on the old belt,or would that make no difference?

inferno

hmmm so was your tensioner fully slack and quite hard to get the belt on? yep 114 teeth here too. i timed it up with the old belt on and at TDC.havent moved the cam or crank at all.the belt went on without needing to move the pulleys, but tight compared to any other belt ive done. shall i just chance it?! excuse for big valves if it breaks!

do u want to run yours up first sam?!

sonofsam

Na did'nt have any problems with the tensioner at all.

I have had the engine running in my 205 about a month ago,all was fine.

jacobs53

when i rebuilt my turbo engine, il admit the belt is quite tight! There was no adjustement possible in the tensioner after id fitted it.

lee

sonofsam

The belt was tight on top and bottom pulleys,but was slack around tensioner, so i had a bit to play with .

I feel if i were to release or remove the tensioner fully the belt would go slack in that area.

jacobs53

my belt was tight all around! ;) probabily the same as inferno's

sonofsam

Ar well, maybe its just a good fit.

inferno

yes mines tight all round with the tensioner slackened. obviously it would be slack without the tensioner at all!!! ok ill just tighten the tensioner at its slackest point and try it, does your belt make a noise through being too tight jacob? urs sounds like mine, i have about an 1/8 of a rotation on the tensioner if i force it, but its way too tight then

jackherer

I've not done a belt on a 2.0T so cant really comment but surely it can't be /that/ tight if you can actually get the belt onto the pulleys?

inferno
I've not done a belt on a 2.0T so cant really comment but surely it can't be /that/ tight if you can actually get the belt onto the pulleys?

it is tight...

couldnt you tell by the amount of phonecalls your've missed i was almost having a heart attack! :)

anyway ive decided to go with it and should be fitting the engine this weekend, depending on finding a good 1.9 box... else i only have a desel box!

jacobs53

mine was seriously tight aswell.... I had to really stretch it onto the pulleys... and it was the correct belt!

jackherer
it is tight...

couldnt you tell by the amount of phonecalls your've missed i was almost having a heart attack! :D

anyway ive decided to go with it and should be fitting the engine this weekend, depending on finding a good 1.9 box... else i only have a desel box!

ahhh that was you.... my phone broke so I've lost my phonebook. pm me all the numbers you might call me from please mate :wacko: (its gonna be hard to get hold of me though, got loads of 205 work to do before the FCS)

inferno

haha if i pm'd you all the numbers before i call you, you'll have chance to add them to the annoying group with a silent ringtone!!!

call round if you get time on way back from fcs... id suggest if you get here around 5pm ull witness my 309 getting smashed to peices!;)

Sign in to follow this