• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Bike Carbs

Cameron

Quick question.. does anyone know weather its necessary to change any of the jets in a set of R1 carbs to run on a 1.9 GTI?

allanallen

i would think so, try boggbros there pretty helpful.

Dom9

They will definitely need re-jetting... As Allan says, try Bogg, they are helpful and seem to know where to start on the jetting for a Pug, at least to get the car running, but fine tuning on an RR is the way forward after that!

yorkdave

i was at bogg brothers at the weekend and they deffo know what they are doing, they have rejetted my r1 carbs to what they set a standard mi to some time ago. then they are going to re do it on the rolling road when i have run it in. i provided them with the carbs and they made a manifold, modified and supplied a ram air filter, stripped, cleaned and re-jetted the carbs for £340. alot cheaper than webbers!

Dom9

Bargain! Everyday I like the sound of this conversion more and more!

jim205GTI

mmm the bikes carbs are tempting keep looking on ebay and thinking mmmm i shouldn't but ........ :D

Cameron

yeah i eventually gave in to temptation :)

Cameron

Ok i gave Bogg Brothers a call, gave me some useful info so ill share with everyone else ;)

Apparently you only need to change the main jets, and use ones out of a Weber DGAS carb. And 175 is a good starting point and apparently what they set up most standard 205s with. So after a little hunt on ebay ive found myself a set of jets for 8 quid inc postage, a facet redtop pump and a filter king regulator/filter ;) Should hopefully get the conversion done next week if i manage to sort the manifold out..

Dom9

Keep us informed of how the project goes! I picked up my Mi16 at the weekend, so will be on the phone to Bogg soon to sort a manifold!

Cameron

Will do! Just need to wait for my mate to finish the manifold base plate and for a few more bits and pieces to be delivered before i can start. Does anyone know a decent place to get some silicon hose to join the carbs to the manifold from?

Cameron

Ok, a little update on the project :P

Manifold base plate: had to chain drill for the ports, then get a hacksaw in there and finish off with a s*itload of filing.

CIMG8169.jpg

Heres the plate after i finished filing.. Found out that the plate was bowed slightly so i had to straighten it out in the vice, which took a fair bit of doing..

So next step was to get the surface flat so there wouldnt be any leaks, I used a surfaced plate with some 120 grit paper duct taped over it :D

Heres before:

CIMG8171.jpg

And after:

CIMG8173.jpg

I dont have any pics of the tubes, ill take them tomorrow but when i tried to weld them on i found that our welder just isnt up to the job. :) It can only hack up to 3mm steel and this stuff is just way too thick and cant get enough penetration :) . So manifold wont be finished until wednesday when i can use the college's welder.

Edited by Cameron

Dom9

Looking good mate! I will be interested to see how the 'tubes' go on and how you match them to the 'square' inlet ports! Maybe once it is all welded together you can get the gasket face milled flat, so that you definitely don't get any leaks, it it was bowed a little?!

matt205xs

just ordering my main jets now, is there just 1 per carb or 2?

crogthomas

matt205xs: motorcycle carbs will have one MAIN jet per Carburettor. There will be a multitude of other jets inside though....

Cameron

Yep, theres just one main jet per carb (4 in total :o ) The other jets dont need to be changed.

The tubes were shaped to the ports with the aid of some precision engineering instruments (vice and a hammer) And line up pretty well..

So heres an update..

Finished the manifold today! :D:D I took it into college and Tigged it, needs a little straightening up before it goes on and i need to decide what colour to paint it.

Heres some pics..

Manifold:

CIMG8415.jpg

CIMG8416.jpg

Carbs mounted:

CIMG8409.jpg

CIMG8410.jpg

CIMG8411.jpg

And the silicon hose that arrived today, I seem to have ordered a bit much :blush: So if anybody needs some for a conversion then i can supply them with a set at a discounted rate ;)

Carbs etc are there for scale..

CIMG8417.jpg

Dom9

Ooooooh.... That looks good!!

I must start thinking about whether to make one for my Mi or just buy one from Bogg!

Cameron

Starting the conversion today, but one last question.. does anyone know what these 2 pipes do? they are on the 2 carbs at the cambelt end, can someone with a conversion have a look and tell me if anything attatches to them?

These are the ones i mean (carbs are upside-down in photo..)

Carbs1.jpg

Edited by Cameron

inferno

NICE! im thinking of having a go at this now... ive just aquired some gsx1100 carbs for not much at all, 34mm so should be good enough for my 1.6gti! do you know what jets these will need? or what size to drill the main jets out to as i dont have a clue...:S

Cameron

No idea :unsure: Its probably a totally different type of carb.. try giving bogg brothers a call.

inferno

there the same type of carb CV i think ther called. only think that concerns me is the 34mm may be smaller than the inlet ports... :unsure: but even so, should go better than a standard mainifold, and should sound the nuts too!

also is it tru that if your carbs have a fuel return, u could run them on the gti fuel pump as the exess fuel will just return to tank? the regulator on the gti keeps fuel in the rail upto pressure, so surely by losing it ud lose the need for a low pressure pump setup? or am i talking tripe?!

pugrallye

no if you use a standard gti fuel pump you will cause the needle valves to leak through too much pressure

mishu

Hello,

I own a 1.1 model which is carbed. I plan to leave it that way, maybe do a 1.6 GTi conversion later on. I'd like to keep the current carb setup for decent city driving, etc. but would like to experiment with something that's been posted on the last pages (1 carb/cylinder).

I was wondering what kind of performance I could expect from this one (currently giving 55 bhp according to the spec sheet) and also what other modifications would be required. Most importantly though, I was wondering whether excessive usage/damage would be a problem for the engine (I still plan on using the non-racing carb version for a couple of years), or whether there are any other risks I should be aware of.

I love the way the carbs look on the previous page, nice job! :unsure:

mishu

Cameron

Hmm, im not too sure to be honest.. apparently the inlets are 35mm square? so maybe it will be about right.. 1mm shouldnt make the air speed drop too much..

As for running on injection pressure, forget about it! Carbs run on a couple of psi! so youll need to invest in a facet redtop pump and a filter king pressure reg / filter. as pugrallye says if you use high fuel pressure it will just piss fuel out constantly. :D

Mishu, your best bet would be to put a 1.4 xs engine in maybe.. that way you keep the carbs so dont need to faff with wiring etc, but you get performance close to that of a 1.6 :blink:

Sign in to follow this