• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adnic69

Mi 16, Gti6 Or S16

Adnic69

I am more or less ready to do a conversion on my rebuilt sorrento green 1.9GTI. I will be putting a megasquirt ECU and GSXR 1000 tb's on whatever engine goes in. However I don't know what engine to go for. I was leaning towards the GTI6 as I feel this would be the better engine.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have done lots of searching!

Malachy
I am more or less ready to do a conversion on my rebuilt sorrento green 1.9GTI. I will be putting a megasquirt ECU and GSXR 1000 tb's on whatever engine goes in. However I don't know what engine to go for. I was leaning towards the GTI6 as I feel this would be the better engine.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I have done lots of searching!

id rather go with themi16 or s16myself everyweek there is someone on gti6 forums crying because the cambelt snapped, is so common with this engine yet not with the mi16 which uses the same setup, wierd yes but then what do ya expect from the french ;)

findlay

Well depends on what you're using it for. Mi16s suffer horrendous oil surge as standard (well more of them do) whhich kills off a lot of them. The S16 is fairly rare and the GTi6 only snaps cam-belts when they're not changed. I'd say GTi6 personally ;)

Adnic69

If I were to add a GTI6 engine to my pug what value would it add? I will also be adding Willwood four pots.

inferno

if your only doing the conversion to sell it on, i wouldnt bother.id rather buy a limited edition in standard trim!

pm me with more info on the bodies though... considering putting a set on an 8v:P

jim205GTI

best bet is to see what engine comes up for a good price and condition :(

Ryan
id rather go with themi16 or s16myself everyweek there is someone on gti6 forums crying because the cambelt snapped...

I bet thats because a lot of GTI-6s are now getting to the age where the cambelt needs doing and people ignore it thinking it'll be fine.

Malachy
I bet thats because a lot of GTI-6s are now getting to the age where the cambelt needs doing and people ignore it thinking it'll be fine.

nope it's because it is a weak point, pug state 70k miles for change but the owners club state your really pushingit if you go over 40k most members tend to change at 30k, Pug will not admit there is a problem, also when the cambelt snaps on gti6 it often takes the bottom end with it, many snappers have had the bottom end fail a few miles after having the valves replaced.

saml666
If I were to add a GTI6 engine to my pug what value would it add? I will also be adding Willwood four pots.

Do it for the satisfaction and laughs mate, thats the only sure way to get real value for your money :(

Dixon
nope it's because it is a weak point, pug state 70k miles for change but the owners club state your really pushingit if you go over 40k most members tend to change at 30k, Pug will not admit there is a problem, also when the cambelt snaps on gti6 it often takes the bottom end with it, many snappers have had the bottom end fail a few miles after having the valves replaced.

But if thats a reason for not getting a gti-6 then its pretty poor in my opinion! If he's putting the engine in to a 205, just change the belt, waterpump and pullies while its out. An hour job tops!

Then if you feel like changing it at 30k then do so, which will be in what 4 or 5 years?

Every engine has its problems at the end of the day. Look after them and they will all last.

DaveK

yea dont do it for the cash dude. i just bought an mi engine and could have easily found an already mi'ed 205 but i want to do it myself.

will be a brilliant feeling once its finshed (i was well pleased with myself when i fitted new wishbones :( )

Veero
yea dont do it for the cash dude. i just bought an mi engine and could have easily found an already mi'ed 205 but i want to do it myself.

will be a brilliant feeling once its finshed (i was well pleased with myself when i fitted new wishbones :P )

Amen to that, just added what I've spent on my Mi DIY rebuild and conversion. :o It's lots more than I could have picked up a full running car for but I don't care because I did it all myself and it goes like s*it off a shovel.

Nothing beats the "I done ittt" feeling.

The only gripe I have about my Mi is the oil surge problem. Theres a 270 degree loop corner left hander on my way to work I used to do at 60 with the 1.6, now I have to pootle round otherwise my oil pressure starts to drop :( not had the light come on yet thank goodness but it's still a worry.

If this isn't a problem on the GTi6 then go for that, changing the belt more frequently is hardly a big gripe is it. It's essentially the same block just with fixed liners.

And since it's becoming more widely known about GTi6 belts snapping perhaps people are selling them off at bargain prices becasue they don't realise they could just change the belt, so those in the know might be more likely to grab a bargain.

I was looking at a more comfortable daily driver sometime next year, torn between a 106 GTi and 306 GTi6, whichever I can pick up cheaper will be bought next year :(

Veero

joris_andriesse
Then if you feel like changing it at 30k then do so, which will be in what 4 or 5 years?

Not even two years :o:o

findlay

Miles not Kms :o

I do 20000miles a year in my Golf (thats what 32000km? :o )

As said don't do it for the money. If you spend 5k of a top notch conversion it won't add 5k to the value of the car. A poor conversion will probably devalue the car. You'll be lucky to add 20% of what you spend onto the sale value.

As siad, do it for the sense of achievement and for the grunt the car will have :P

But if thats a reason for not getting a gti-6 then its pretty poor in my opinion! If he's putting the engine in to a 205, just change the belt, waterpump and pullies while its out. An hour job tops!

Exactly. Terribly defeatist to say don't do it incase... Its like saying don't do the Mi conversion incase you buy a duff engine or in case one day the oil surge fries the bottom end. The Mi is still so popular because its easy to do, it adds to the performance and its cost-effective.

joris_andriesse
Miles not Kms :o

I know. I do between 20.000 and 25.0000 km a year with my Gentry. So it will be in 2 years than.

eddie_1.9

There seems to be the misconception that the GTi-6 engine breaks Cam belts a lot. It usually actually comes off due to the tensioners or water pump bearings giving up and seizing or coming apart - resulting in throwing the belt. Therefore regular belt changes on their own won't help avoid it. I only know of one snapped belt, but that was caused by it rubbing because the tensioner had tilted over due to the bearing going. Maybe its down to the placementof the tensioner that stresses them more, i dont know, but i'd say the 2.0 Mi is a better unit.

Edited by eddie_1.9

Guest lombardo

2.0 mi block is slower then the 1.9 block.

Baz
2.0 mi block is slower then the 1.9 block.

On what grounds are you making that statement? Yes the power of the 2.0 is slightly down, but this is partly due to a Cat, which most 205s do not need, therefore freeing u a few horses, and the ACAV inlet system is also very good when it works and delivers good power all the way through the rev range, smoothly. The 2.0 also does not suffer the oil surge problems that the 1.9 does. Then we come to the weight issue, which although is only around 30K difference (IIRC?) does make the 205 a little nose heavy but its swings and roundabouts in my opinion. Yes, you can make the 1.9 fast and reliable but the 2.0 is also not to be overlooked, it all depends on what you want to use it for to some extent. :(

B1ack_Mi16

2.0 has heavier pistons and not good squish at all.

But a 2.0 with 88mm crank will gain quite a lot squish.

So maybe that's the way forward.

petert
Maybe its down to the placementof the tensioner that stresses them more, i dont know, but i'd say the 2.0 Mi is a better unit.

I haven't investigated it, but I assumed the water pump and tensioners (and position) were identical between the 2.0L S16/Mi16 and the GTi6.

Edited by petert

Sign in to follow this