• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
deejay391

Compression Test...

deejay391

Hi guys

Engine isn't really specific to this forum but the knowledge i know is here ;)

Saxo VTS engine, 708 cams & KMS ecu

Been kicking out lots of smoke & oil at high revs... not sure why we did a compression test last night and results came back as

Cold: 240-250

Warm/Hot: 233ish across all plugs

Oil (little bit dropped in): highest was approx 350 (guage went to 300), then 280, 290 & 266

Anyone have any ideas?? To us untrained eyes they dont look good but we dont know reason behind it.

cheers

DJ

mbayley77

From what i understand the normal compression reading is around the 200 - 220 for a good engine. So 233 is good i would say. When you say it kicks out smoke and oil, where are you saying the oil comes out from?

deejay391

comes out exhaust... only high revs tho say about 6kish big puff of smoke and oil ;)

also went around combe a few weeks ago and ended up on side of road... oil came up the head and was dumped out of the overflow pipe on side of head ;) that help explain anything.. was about 2/3 laps in and wasn't hanging about :S

Guest smokinslim

Is the breather on your head kicking out excessive amounts of oil at high revs that could be burning in the combustion chambers? Just an idea like....

deejay391
Is the breather on your head kicking out excessive amounts of oil at high revs that could be burning in the combustion chambers? Just an idea like....

yes thats where the oil came from out on track... wat can be done to stop this??

Guest smokinslim

An oil catch tank would be a good place to start, will stop oil getting into your air intake anyway. These can be bought ready made (and shiney) or home made as a few peeps on the forum have done. A search should tell/show you everything you need to know about these.

Read up on sump and rocker cover oil baffles also, again a search should help. There may be improvements that could be made to these to reduce the amount of oil exiting the engine through the breather.

jonD6B

Alot of rally cars take the breather system off all together to stop this issue, however, this isn't a good idea for a road car as it is also a part of your cold start system so it won't idle until it's warmed up.

Rippthrough
Alot of rally cars take the breather system off all together to stop this issue, however, this isn't a good idea for a road car as it is also a part of your cold start system so it won't idle until it's warmed up.

It ain't on the TU's I've seen? ;)

jonD6B

Oooooops!

I didn't read the post properly ;);)

There's always one.... :P

stu_woac

are you sure its oil as black smoke is over fueling and when my float was gone on the twin 40s I had fuel spitting out the back alot too

I still have it now on change over as my idle jets are rich

is the ecu correct ?

any sensers miss reading?

the oil coming out the breather out on track is very normal I lose 200ml every 15min session at combe catch tank is the answer

deejay391
An oil catch tank would be a good place to start, will stop oil getting into your air intake anyway. These can be bought ready made (and shiney) or home made as a few peeps on the forum have done. A search should tell/show you everything you need to know about these.

Read up on sump and rocker cover oil baffles also, again a search should help. There may be improvements that could be made to these to reduce the amount of oil exiting the engine through the breather.

Theres a catch tank (little water bottle) and oil is still coming out..

Will look at oil & rocker cover oil baffles :(

are you sure its oil as black smoke is over fueling and when my float was gone on the twin 40s I had fuel spitting out the back alot too

I still have it now on change over as my idle jets are rich

is the ecu correct ?

any sensers miss reading?

the oil coming out the breather out on track is very normal I lose 200ml every 15min session at combe catch tank is the answer

Haven't checked ECU or Sensors, which sensors are likely to be playing up.. its got kms ecu so can put it on computer tonight and have a look :(

Sign in to follow this