• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

1.6gti Rear Beam

timmsy19

firstly i know this subject may have been covered may times but there is so much to look through and not sure if if i would get a definative answer.

what my plan is is to fit a re-furbed 1.6gti rear beam to my base model.

1: what kind of problems will i have with the arches as i understand that the gti beams have a wider track than the base model?

2: whats involed in the swap, would it be straight forward as they are both drums?

3: what kind of price am i looking at for a fully re-furbed 1.6gti rear beam?

P.S ive got 1.9gti alloys on with 195/50 tyres if this makes any diffrence to clearence

Wurzel

Right, I got up stupidly early on a Sunday morning just to answer this ;)

Try this link for starters.

Being both drums the brake pipes shouldn't need modifying, however, getting the old ones off can lead to damage and new solid pipes to be manufactured. Not a massive job if you have the kit.

Refurbing a rear beam can cost anything up to £180 in parts alone, depending on what is needed. If you are lucky to find some re useable shafts from a scrap beam, you're quids in but this is rare.

Buying one refurbed will be around the £270 mark I'd have thought (not sure of current rates to be honest). This is the sort of price I used to charge which covered paying for the second hand beams (for spares), petrol, tools, labour etc. If you're feeling handy with a spanner though, there is a mass of info on here to do it yourself and save a few quid. Trust me, you don't need to be a mechanical whizz to do this, just be good with a lump hammer and have some common sense :P

Arch clearance is going to be down to the type of beam you choose and the wheels. Plenty of people have fitted 1.9 wheels and others to base model cars, I'm sure they will answer your questions shortly :)

Another Link

If you are considering a 1.9 beam

Edited by Wurzel

timmsy19

cheers for the info just what i needed all in one post (and a few links :) )

right time to find a re-furbed beam i think as i would rather somebody else who knows what they are doing do it than me completely balls it up ;)

im not gona go for a 1.9 gti beam tho cos i just dont thave the need for the discs as ive only got a 1.0 but changing the engine over for an xs engine setup

Guest smokinslim

Futher to Wurzel's post, you may find that you have problems with the hoses. Base model hoses have different unions to gti hoses. I can't say for certain about where the hoses join the copper lines, but bse model hoses dont fit onto the gti cylinders in the drums. gti cylinders are a different shape to base model ones also so can't be swapped between drums unfortunately. The backing plates differ also due to the different thickness of the shoes.

What this means is that if you want to use 1.6 drums you need the hoses to match, and possibly copper lines too depending if the 1.6 hoses join with the lines or not.

The other thing is with the wider track due to wider 1.6 drums, 1.9 wheels will sit under the outer arch. At standard ride height your ok with no weight in the back but with four people in the car your rear arches will probably be sat on the tyres.

I don't mean to put a damper on things but it's better you know beforehand than to let you find out the hard way mate.

e1001.jpg

This is the result of having a 1.6 beam, lower 60mm, still using base model brakes and 1.9 wheels. I also took my angle grinder to the inside of the arches to try and save the tyres. When i fitted the wheels i have now that are an inch wider than the 1.9 wheels the arch was sat on the tyre and i couldn't drive anywhere.

You probably wouldn't find problems quite so extreme at standard height but as base model arches aren't quite so open as gti ones you would certain experience some issues with them.

Wurzel
right time to find a re-furbed beam i think as i would rather somebody else who knows what they are doing do it than me completely balls it up :)

Entirely your decision but have a look here before you finally make your mind up. It will save you in the long run.

bitchass 205

If you want to have a go come round mine and we'll take mine off and refurb it! :D

Sign in to follow this