• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ashnicholls

Uprated Coil

Guest ashnicholls

What have people done or would people recommend for an uprated coil, what else do you require aswell as i the coil.

I have a 1.6 with twin 40 webers.

Cheers

petert

Fit a CDI ignition and keep the std. coil.

Guest ashnicholls

cheers, sorry but what does that mean, what is CDI igniton? is the standard coil good enough, was going to get a new one as i dont know what state the one I have got is?

i was going to fit an uprated coil if i was going to get a new one.

pug_ham

IMO a coil is a coil, not exactly sure how (or even) if an uprated one would make any difference.

Graham.

Guest ashnicholls

yes so how do you get better sparks, surely thats possible because people do, and say it makes a big difference.

cheers

veloce200
yes so how do you get better sparks, surely thats possible because people do, and say it makes a big difference.

cheers

if you are just running the normal dizzy and ignition amp the spark is plenty strong enough. I would suggest a genuine coil though as some cheap aftermarket stuff is variable. you could try a set of Nology Hotwires these are a capacitive discharge lead - not sure where you get them from but David Vizard reckons they are worth HP. Which cannot be said for most ignition mods.

Guest ashnicholls

so you cant uprate the spark using the standard dizzy then?

so a good set of leads will make a good difference?

Rippthrough
so you cant uprate the spark using the standard dizzy then?

so a good set of leads will make a good difference?

There's a good change the Nology's would on a modified engine.

Guest ashnicholls

Sound good until i got to the bottom of the page for them

The normal retail price on these leads is £345.00, but

as a special introductory price, you can have them for just

£195.00

Rippthrough
Sound good until i got to the bottom of the page for them

The normal retail price on these leads is £345.00, but

as a special introductory price, you can have them for just

£195.00

Never said they were cheap :)

It's not too bad for the results, these days you can pay that for a K&N kit. (Most back to back dyno tests show about 5% more power, similar/more torque throughout the rev. range + better fuel economy to boot.)

P.S. - Try ebay. Seen them before for about £120 on there.

Still a lot for a set of leads though

Guest ashnicholls

was think more about uprated coil and/or uprated ignition aplifier, uprated sports leads, and set of good plugs.

but you dont think this would give a much better spark?

ablister

can't see how a 'better' spark will gain bhp...

DaveW

Muhaha :) £195 for some leads :P id spend the money else where and buy some good quaity oe leads.

jonD6B
can't see how a 'better' spark will gain bhp...

A better spark will give better performance because it ignites the mixture better and quicker but only milliseconds and generally it's fairly insignificant. For power gains I'd probably look at other areas for that kind of money. :)

fiji bob

those wires get a special mention here, draw your own conclusions

huxley309

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

d-9

If your standard stuff is shagged, plugs/leads/cap/arm/coil will make a big different. If they arent shagged then you could spend as much as you like on them and id put money that in a blind test you couldnt tell the difference. Only real use for them is impressing the 14yo girls down at your local cruise...so you'd better get some quick

ada205
those wires get a special mention here, draw your own conclusions

Soz, slightly of topic, but i had to mention this. Magnecor europe is 5 minutes down the road from me, and last time i came across the Scooby that their gaffer drives, which i see around constantly(the one in fiji bob's link), was when it tried to get by me on a short stretch of the B5493 between Appleby & Tamworth. The driver found out that, when picking on 205's, it's difficult to tell the difference between a standard 205, & a 140mph+ sleeper!! :)

Guest ashnicholls
If your standard stuff is shagged, plugs/leads/cap/arm/coil will make a big different. If they arent shagged then you could spend as much as you like on them and id put money that in a blind test you couldnt tell the difference. Only real use for them is impressing the 14yo girls down at your local cruise...so you'd better get some quick

no need to be abusive. i was only asking, i just thought a better spark would mean all of the mixture would be burnt, so no fuel is wasted, because why put webers on to give the engine more air and fuel if its not being burnt, surely you need to uprate the ignition to cope with the increase.

niklas

With high compression (or high boost) it sometimes happen the OE stuff doesn't produce a strong enough spark. At that point it's useful to change to a coil which produce a higher voltage.

But if the air/fuel mix ignites fine on standard coil it makes no difference whatsoever changing.

petert

I can assure you that changing an Mi16 from dizzy to individual coils (dwell optimised) makes a huge difference.

Of course you need a programmable ECU to optimise the dwell, or a 008 Bosch ignition module.

I mentioned CDI because it has the ability to overcome shortcomings in OEM setups. Take my Nissan Patrol for example. It has a 5mm gap between the rotor botton and the cap. The poor old OEM spark is just about exhausted by the time it reaches the plug. A CDI however, jumps that with ease, and then some. And it fires for 20 deg. of crankshaft revolution. You can really feel the difference when you turn the CDI off. It's not about volts, but rather current. So the old 20kV coil with a CDI firing it, will set the world on fire!

Have you read this thread?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=5538

Edited by petert

iety2004

When u say cdi, are you talking about a single component or a whole system from another car/bike?

cos the link above does't work.

huxley309

I believe what peter means is using a dizzyless ignition setup from newer cars like the 106 for instance

In a coilpack you have two coils which one fires each time one of two cylinders reach tdc hence the term wasted spark as when one coil fires two plugs one spark is wasted

Must admit i didn't know what sort of difference it would make on my mi when i had the bodies fitted i just went this wayy to make mapping the ignition system more accurate,not to mention mi's love blowing up dizzy's anyway

Im running denso iridiums as on the std mi ngk's ran silly hot and didn't fare too well let alone on this high compression beast of an engine ;)

petert

sorry, what a differance one digit makes!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=55381

A CDI is a "black box", which gets voltage/current direct from the battery. It's triggered by just about anything, but most importantly, it fires the coil(s) directly, via two wires. No other wires attach to the coil. They typically draw approx. 1 amp per 1000 rpm.

If you have a look at there M&W site there is some excellent technical information and wiring diagrams.

Sign in to follow this