• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RHULPUG

Brake Failure

RHULPUG

Whilst out driving today the brake pedal dropped, as if a cable had snapped, but obviously there are no cables for the foot brake. On closer inspection when removing the passenger side wheel I noticed this:

Brake hose split!

The hose has got a split in it, which I am still at a loss as to how on earth it happened. Any clues?

Secondly, is the repair job as simple as buy a new braided brake line and replace the current one, then flush the brake system to remove any air blocks? The system still has brake fluid in it, and it only comes out when the foot brake is pressed.

All advice would be much appreciated thanks!

jonD6B

Who have you upset recently? :D

RHULPUG

U reckon it was malicious?

Jrod

Had it on mine a week or 2 ago, just thing they wear out over time and eventually the pressure inside it burts the weak point.

RHULPUG

Oh ok, but can you tell me how you went about replacing them, i.e, where did you get some more from, and what process you took to put it back on? Did you have to flush the brake system?

Guest rick03054

Go to your local motor factors buy a hose (couple of quid).

Take wheel off, pull out the clip from bracket on strut with mole grips, give it a good wiggle and it comes out. Unscrew the union between the copper pipe and the hose. Prise up the little bit of metal that holds the grommet onto the strut, unscrew the hose from the caliper. Put the new hose on, reversal of removal etc. :D

Top up with new fluid and bleed the brakes.

When the wheel is at full lock does it look like the hose has been catching on the hub/cable tie?

hengti

cracked a grin at Jon's gag :D

Rhulpug - you just need to get yourself a new hose - they look quite thin though - don't recognise the manufacturer - if you know what make it is, just give them a ring. hopefully you won't end up having to fork out for a complete set of hoses. some of the motorsport type suppliers would probably be able to supply individual hoses - might not be the same spec as the others though.

then bleed the system. you might get away with minimal bleeding (ie. just the affected wheel) - this'll save you the hassle of snapping off your rear bleed nipples (unless you already know they're free)

ps. don't press the pedal anymore than you might already have done until you've bled the brakes - you'll drain the fluid and might end up having to bleed all 4 wheels

edit : that is a ss braided hose isn't it ... ??

Edited by hengti

RHULPUG

Cheers for all the advice guys, very helpful in deed!

The brakes are hi-spec that's all I know.

Was interesting having to carry on the rest of my journey with no breaks other than down shifting and hand brake:)

RHULPUG

Right, I've bought a new hose, removed the old one now, and have a few dilemmas.

The calipers are non-standard so they screw on differently and have an adaptor connection.

I am going to take the broken hose to the local car spares shop to see if they have anything similar.

Once I connect a new one on, do I have to remove the pads and clean them for any brake fluid that may be on them?

Secondly, how do I bleed the system, I've never done this before but want to learn how it's done properly. I bought some Dot 3 fluid, and can see that the reservoir is about half full. Do I need to basically just drive the car and see if the brakes return to normal, or does the reservoir need draining, and then refilled with fresh fluid?

All these questions:) Simply, I just want to know how to get the brake pedal pressure back, and be able to carry on driving the car with brakes again. Thanks!

jackherer

the haynes has a good guide to brake bleeding, its not hard but the procedure is very specific so you should defiinitely read it. If you dont have a copy you can download it from 205gti.com

jonah

Yes, you should definitely remove the pads and clean them (and the discs) if it looks like there is brake fluid on them.

Also you should be using Dot 4 fluid, not Dot 3.

RHULPUG

I did ask for Dot 4 but they said Dot 3 because I don't have ABS.

Secondly, I looked at the 205gti.com website but it's all in Dutch so a bit tricky to understand. Can someone post a link to a 'how to' guide about bleeding the brakes. When I put the hose back on, will the pressure suddenly return when I pump the brake pedal?

Just wondered if it'll need bleeding before I have to drive to work tomorrow?

pug_life

yes it will because you'll have fluid loss from removing the previous line..

make sure you bleed them fully before driving anywhere :D

rich_w

YES!

You need to go down to halfords (or any good motorfactors / parts shop) and pick up a ezibleed kit or something like that, I haven't used one but they use air from the tyre to force brake fulid though (you will most likely need to to use cable ties to hold the cap down).

Its also easier to get a brake bleeder bottle, attach the hose and undo the brake bleed nipple untill no air comes out (you just see fulid NO bubbles).

Its not hard, but you really should do all the calipers but the nipples are prone to breaking off - i've seen someone on here advise the use of a wire bush and some WD40, leave to soak and they should come free easy. Maybe worth a search.

It may be worth getting some porper brake spanners as they are so much better than normal spanners.

I'm a little tired so i'm sure i've missed something out :D

edit: joke book has the order you should do them in.

Edited by rich_w

Guest BrainFluid

Well. Its much eaiser to bleed brakes with a mate...Take the cap off the fluid resovior and fill it up, leave the cap off then unscrew the bleed nipple slightly tell your mate to press the brake pedal up and down untill you see brake fluid come out of the nipple. Now have him keep the pedal depressed and go and top up the resovior again. Now have him release the pedal slowly...(to stop air being sucked in through the nipple)

Then have your mate press the brake firmly all the way down then 'slowly' all the way up. Do this two or three times and on the last time keep the pedal fully depressed while you tighten the bleed nipple. Fill up the resovior and onto the next.

Thing is you have to do the brakes in a certain order ie. for mine i got to do back right, then front left then back left then front right.

I dont know about yours however.

Sorry,

Nate.

Sign in to follow this