• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-hysteria

Water Temp And Stop Light On

gti-hysteria

my water temp and stop light sometimes come on my dash, but the needle is not even half way up. sometimes the needle will be higher and the fan just cuts in and no lights appear. wats going on?

by the way its a 1.6 cti

Rob_the_Sparky

If it isn't boiling then you have a problem with the warning light sensor or there is a short to earth on the wire somewhere.

gti-hysteria

where is the warning light sensor?

pug309twin40s
where is the warning light sensor?

on the bk of the thermostat housing is 2 sensors with single wire connection. these are the temperature warning light and temperature gauge sensor.

1 small and the other is bigger. Im sure the smaller 1 is the warning light.

It could be your temp sensor playing up is well. my old 205 gti gauge would never go above halfway and i tried 3 different temp sensors and the gauge went to max when tested.

you can check the temp gauge by shorting the wire to the sensor onto a ground. the gauge should go to max.

• Like 1

jonah

The water temp light, oil pressure light and STOP light are all connected together, so all 3 will come on if either the water temp or oil pressure sensors close.

So it could be a fault in either of those two sensors, or a short in the wiring to them, or a genuine oil pressure problem... how's the pressure reading on the gauge?

Anthony
The water temp light, oil pressure light and STOP light are all connected together, so all 3 will come on if either the water temp or oil pressure sensors close.

AFAIK low oil pressure brings on all three lights, but high coolant temperature only brings on the STOP and coolant temp light.

Rob_the_Sparky

Pretty sure Anthony is correct...

gti-hysteria

yeah its just the coolant and stop lights coming on the oil pressue 1 is fine, just drove to gatwick and back 70miles and no lights came up at all.

Sign in to follow this