• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sorr

Mi Oil Level Sensor Thread

sorr

Does anybody know the tread size on the Mi oil level sensor as the one I have is broken so would like to replace it with a plug that will screw into the block.

Also any ideas where may stock such a plug?

Thanks,

Stuart.

pug_ham

I think its the same size thread as the sump plug.

Graham.

Banjo

I used the plug from my old 8v engine.

Ben

miamistu

I didn't know the Mi had an oil level sensor. Where is it?

Ryan

It screws into the back of the block. About half way up.

I've never seen one that actually works though.

miamistu

Righto, I'll have a nosy around tonight.

Cheers :)

jackherer
I've never seen one that actually works though.

I've had working oil level gauges in a lot of BXs (and other Citroens) but they are never that accurate. They have warned me the oil has been low in the past earlier than I would have known any other way though...

sorr: when you say yours is broken I take it you mean it leaks?

sorr
sorr: when you say yours is broken I take it you mean it leaks?

Nope I dropped it after taking it out and it snapped :rolleyes: . So am going to use a plug off a spare 8v block I have.

M3Evo

Oh that's what that thing is!

The big long stick thing that goes in at the back of the block, right? :rolleyes:

C_W

Mine broke but up and I cut the dangly bits off it but just left the rest screwed in the block.

Ryan
Oh that's what that thing is!

The big long stick thing that goes in at the back of the block, right? :rolleyes:

Yeah.

Some 1985 GTIs had one according to haynes - wired up to a control unit to show oil level on the oil temp gauge for a few seconds when you switched the ignition on. I thought about wiring up something similar for the Mi but the sensor doesn't work so I didn't bother.

M3Evo

Does provide a bit of added peace of mind having something to warn you of a low oil level.

When my car dumped all it's oil along the M25, the little warning light to say the oil level was low almost certainly saved the engine. :rolleyes:

miamistu

Is the sensor a gauge or a switch?

pugrallye

most bx mi16's had one, and for it work you need to utilise the bx clocks as they have an added board behind them

Dream Weaver

My 405 Mi one worked and was quite cool - you switched the ignition to position 2 and left it there for more than a second and the oil temp gauge would rise to show how much oil you had in :D

maxi
most bx mi16's had one, and for it work you need to utilise the bx clocks as they have an added board behind them

:(

C_W
Does provide a bit of added peace of mind having something to warn you of a low oil level.

When my car dumped all it's oil along the M25, the little warning light to say the oil level was low almost certainly saved the engine. :(

I didn't think it works when the engine is running, it only registers on ignition on? wouldn't it be all over the place cornering etc?

M3Evo

Fair enough, was thinking more of the beemer which has a float in the sump that turns on a warning light if the level gets too low.

Certainly saved my engine anyway :(

KRISKARRERA

I think it's useful because it's at the back of the block and the dipstick is at the front and therefore if you are parked on an incline or decline you can make a better estimation on the oil level.

B1ack_Mi16

I actually found a box saying "Jäger" on it on my 1984 model GTi loom.

According to haynes it's connected to the oil-level sensor.

I guess I'll remove it anyway, as the GTi instrument I have haven't got any scale for it, and I don't like the looks of the BX 16v panel that I also have.

Picture of the black box in the middle/bottom of the picture:

http://cortex.fa-s.ntnu.no/~kristian/205gt...06/CIMG1091.jpg

Sign in to follow this