• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest werewolf

First 205, First Problem

Guest werewolf

Just got this from pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/69308.htm Seems to idle rough but ok when finally got going.Had 25mile run and all seemed ok.Turned it off for 2 mins and the bugger didnt want to start again.Next morning it started first time. Planning to do just trackdays in it so it would be a bit of a pain if it kept playing up. Not a mechanic but am able to understand techie stuff if it explained clearly enough.Where to start first?

Jonmurgie

Welcome to the forum and the highs and lows of 205 ownership!!

When you ssay it didn't start what happend... did it turn over but not fire or just not turn over at all?

trickywoo

The ad says its running a 1.9ecu on a 1.6. It might be worth checking if the correct AFM is fitted.

steve@cornwall
The ad says its running a 1.9ecu on a 1.6. It might be worth checking if the correct AFM is fitted.

doesn't the 1.9 ecu open the injectors for a longer period, due to the longer stroke or something? would this not overfuel and give all of those symptoms? 1.9 injectors and ecu on my old 1.6cti made it seem rather flat,yet 1.9 injectors, throttle body & afm with 1.6 ecu seems to give better top end response (My opinion) may be worth trying a 1.6 ecu?

Guest werewolf

Sounded like a clicking noise- like a relay does- but nothing else happens

madspikes

Hello and welcome.

The non starting when warm is a common problem. It is normally caused by a lack of current getting to the starter solenoid. It seems that the main connector (the brown multiplug) that connects the engine loom to the main loom degrades over time and the heat from the engine is just enough to create a bad connection. Your find it under / around the afm. You can try and clean up the connections, or do what myself and other have done and run new cabling for the starter and have a button starter!

I would have thought that running a 1.9 ecu and injectors would over fuel the engine as the 1.9 injectors (yellow ones, 1.6 are blue) have a higher flow rate. Well thats my guess anyway!

Rough idle is normal, having a car that idles is a good!

Mad. :wacko:

pug_ham
doesn't the 1.9 ecu open the injectors for a longer period
AFAIK / IIRC the 1.9ecu opens the injectors for a shorter time, I remember a few people fitting 1.6 ecu's on modified 1.9's & complaining of the oil stinking of fuel & swapped back.

The clicking is probably the solenoid, did it coincide with you turning the key to start? Sounds like the usual wiring problem but your car won't have a brown multiplug which is often the cause as its an older model than that. (its so common I think Pug have a part number for it just like Ford have for the CVH rattle).

Graham.

Butler

Sometimes moving the car slightly in gear, before retrying to start cn help this.

steve@cornwall
AFAIK / IIRC the 1.9ecu opens the injectors for a shorter time, I remember a few people fitting 1.6 ecu's on modified 1.9's & complaining of the oil stinking of fuel & swapped back.

Graham.

I stand corrected! ta. Makes sense when I think about it. What is it they say about "a little knowledge"?

tom_m

the ad states its got a fast road cam, so the idle isn't ever going to be smooth.

the clicking, as said above, is the solonoid on the starter motor, it can also be a symptom of a low battery sometimes too

Guest werewolf

Did notice loose connection to alterator which could have caused prob. I'm gonna sound a prat but what alteration do i need to do to alter the wiring so i can have a push button starter.Wiring diagram would be nice. Would it be recommended to replace injectors and ecu back to originals?

Rob_the_Sparky

Well I don't understand the logic of fitting the 1.9 items to a 1.6 so swapping them back would seem sensible. Probably worth getting the injectors cleaned when fitting them.

Push button start is easy, just bypass the ignition switch via a push button. You then have the choice of key or push button starting. A quick peek at the Haynes manual wiring diagrams will give you the details.

Rob

Guest werewolf

got the car because most of the hard work( roll cage ,seats etc) had been done.Plan was to dump the engine and go for 1.9 or mi16.Which would you recommend and where's best place to get from.Will try to fix prob got at the moment till can get new engine and fit starter button.

Rob_the_Sparky

Use the search button on here, quick summary:

1.9 is a very easy fit but not that much more grunt than the 1.6 and hard to tune (I run a tweaked 1.9).

Mi16 is a little more involved but still a well trodden route and gives much more power as standard and tuning will give some seriously big bhp figures. Also is much more revvy than a 1.9.

Other common options are the GTi6 engine, 2.0 Turbo and Turboing any of the above engines.

I'd recommend a bit of time spent reading previous engine choice discussions, also a visit to www.PumaRacing.co.uk will make interesting reading regarding the tuning of engines. A mine of good technical articles on there.

Rob

Guest werewolf

Decided new engine replacement is what i want. The Mi route seems to be the most popular.What do i need to complete the changeover List and approx costs would be ideal. Thanks

Rob_the_Sparky

Try a new thread in the Modifications area but basics are:

Engine (!)

Ancillaries (e.g. inlet manifold, AFM, throttle body, injectors, etc)

Carbs or ECU (if you are going to do it properly)

Exhaust

Move the radiator (if using stock inlet manifold)

Associated harnessing

There are a few options and choices to be made but think all that is better off in a dedicated thread in the right area.

Rob

Sign in to follow this