• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rooster

T Cutting New Paint Work

rooster

i have completed painting my new front valence with 5 tins of arctic white, i sanded between coats to remove sheen and over sprays and now i have finished the last coat its looking good.

how many days do i leave it before t cutting it to finish the shine and remove dry bits etc before waxing.

the tins says two weeks :ph34r: but i dont wanna wait that long :D

the last coat will have been drying for 5 days before i get around to mounting it on my new bumper etc is this long enough and is t cut ok or should i use a rubbing compound.

cheers :D

Rippthrough
i have completed painting my new front valence with 5 tins of arctic white, i sanded between coats to remove sheen and over sprays and now i have finished the last coat its looking good.

how many days do i leave it before t cutting it to finish the shine and remove dry bits etc before waxing.

the tins says two weeks :wacko: but i dont wanna wait that long :D

the last coat will have been drying for 5 days before i get around to mounting it on my new bumper etc is this long enough and is t cut ok or should i use a rubbing compound.

cheers :o

It says two weeks because you can be looking at between that and 2 months for the paint to harden fully. I wouldn't polish it until it has.

rooster

i may not be able to resist doing it before the FCS -_-

mrswampy

i used four varying grades of proffesional t cut straight after the paint on my s16 had being apllied.

its come up lovely.

will be adding polish to it tomorrow afternoon all being well.

XLR8

Try claybar (meguires)- its really good!

mrswampy
Try claybar (meguires)- its really good!

but thats not a paint renovation system, that just removes air born contaminiates from the top of the paint, things such as tree sap and bird lime etc

where as t cut removes a very thin layer of paint.

Edited by mrswampy

mak

i thought you were supposed to sand the paint with VERY VERY fine wet and dry and a shed load of water??

paintguy where are you?

rooster
i thought you were supposed to sand the paint with VERY VERY fine wet and dry and a shed load of water??

paintguy where are you?

ive never done it with sandpaper that way, my front end i have on now i painted and it came up nice.

and now i cant get my car until monday maybe so ill be doing the tcutting this weekend. :D

mrswampy

paintguy where are you?

you should do that useing something like 2000 grade wet and dry beofre you do the final light coat of paint.

the autoglym proffesional range of abrasive polishes is very good.

mattmk1

To get an absolutely flawless finish you can coulour sand the paint, using 1500 grit paper to remove medium amount of 'orange peel' or 2000 grit if the paints 'peel' free. Then use a buffing wheel and a compound such as faraclay or G3, then wax/polish it.

If you decide to coulour sand it, clean the paint off first with a chemical cleaner to remove any dirt or youll grind it into your paint. If you sand it, youll soon feel where the paint is rough, and it does make a difference. You just have to be a little brave lol.

Paintguy

^ What he said :)

Get your fine W&D, soak it in a bucket of warm water, with a few drops of washing up liquid, to let it soften, then carefully sand away til you have a smooth, even, matt surface. Then polish up with a rubbing compound, either by hand or machine. Take extra care on the edges!

Edited by Paintguy

Sign in to follow this