• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JayCC

Leaky Boot!

JayCC

After 1 year of trying to figure this problem after trawling through thread after thread i think i may have foudn the source of the leaky boot problem.

So far i have checked:

-Rear ligh cluster seals (siliconed up)

-brand new rear hatch seal

-silconed every hole (washer spay, wiper, rear pannel tacks, lock, etc etc..)

-tightend top bolts near roof

-tighted and moved the lower catcher (anthony did this for me)

And it still leaks as much as ever! I think i've rounded the problem down to a perished rear window seal. How easy are these to replace? I dont think i can do it myself so will call somebody out (who does rear windows with seals and how much?)

cheers!

Ahl

Yep, the rear window seal always goes. Haven't you seen any of the other threads where this is mentioned? :ph34r:

You can buy the seal from pug, but the window is bonded in and apparently its a bit of an arse to do.

Sadly, it may be easier to damage your rear window and get it done on the insurance if it supports it. (Usually £50 excess without counting as a claim.)

tidypug

yup irc the window seals do go, i've had this happen to me, i just used a bit of black silicone to fix it as i had a few lumps missing from the seal.

Ren

If the seal is perished it still shouldn't let water in because as Ahl has said the window is bonded in and the seal is for cosmetic reasons only, if it is leaking it is probably due to a hole in the bond line, either caused by an air bubble in the bond when it was fitted or a gap in the join. Not sure if you have a company near you called National Windscreens but they can probably get you the seal. I work for Autowindscreens and I think we charge about £47 + vat to remove and refit, and there's no guarantee it will come out in one piece. Again as Ahl said you might be cheaper to use your insurance if you are fully comp.

HTH, Ren.

Leon C

I'm still suffering from the same problem myself, even though its just had a non-spoiler, de-wipered taigate put on and all other possible entrances siliconed up, water still collects in the same corner where the wash bottle used to be when it rains ...and yet its bone dry everywhere else!

Surley the seals on both tailgates cant be knackered!?

Ahl
If the seal is perished it still shouldn't let water in because as Ahl has said the window is bonded in and the seal is for cosmetic reasons only, if it is leaking it is probably due to a hole in the bond line, either caused by an air bubble in the bond when it was fitted or a gap in the join.

That may be so, but they ALL start to leak at some point, for whatever reason.

Can we organise a group buy at national windscreens? lol! :ph34r:

JayCC

Thanks for the info, i will give them a call this week. Im not fully comp, only tpft and i dont think i have windowscreen cover. Might be worth looking into.

Ren

Had a look at my car yesterday and it could well be coming in through the bond as it doesn't look the greatest. Trouble is the glass is quite tight to the bodywork so removing it in 1 piece could be a nightmare. Easiest way to check if it's definitely coming in that way is to tape some tissue paper all the way along under the glass cos if it rains this will get wet when the water runs in, this could save you from having to pay for a remove and refit and new glass as well if it pops.

feb

I have a new window seal on the driver's side and still when it rains there is some water in the boot on the right hand edge where the washer bottle is. What else should I check? The boot seal looks in good condition, could water be coming in from the light clusters?

Edited by feb

ablister

i tried all the usual places and in the end it was the lock that was letting water in. The clusters can let water in though if the rubber gasket isn't sealing completely to the body

de Noir

My first GTI also suffered from this problem, always had a pair of towels in the trunk for water soaking purposes! :)

If you open the tailgate, you will be able to spot two double drainage holes, one on each side of tailgate.

This is designed to drain the water that somehow finds the way inside the tailgate (for reasons already mentioned).

BUT

Although a very neat solution, the problem is, when tailgate closed, drainage hole fits inside the tailgate seal, instead of outside. :angry:

This is a major factory design flaw and cannot be solved in elegant and simple way.

You could either close existing holes, drill new drainage holes closer to outer tailgate edge (meaning on outer side of tailgate seal), protect them with primer and likely risk rust in short period.

Or you can fix the tailgate glass assembly - which is IMHO the right way to go.

Or you keep few beach towels in the trunk. :lol:

Oh, and please do re-check of the wet side of the trunk... It depends of your parking lot configuration! :(

Edited by MH_

Sign in to follow this