• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Megasquirt'ing Progess....

madspikes

I thought I'd start a thread here to discuss people megasquirt progress as people have started to discuss it in the group buy section.

I've built my MS and have hocked it up to the pug with the existing ECU running things, to test for a good rpm and map signals.

I have taken the coil -ve signal from pin 1 (left most, green wire with sheilding) from the brown connector on the coil. I'm using some shielded cable to take this to the MS. The result is a rock steady rpm signal. I'm still working out where to take the manifold pressure from, I tested it yesterday hocked up to the throttle breather, but need a more perment possition.

I'm going to install the MS in the glove box, so I can easy access for connecting up the PC.

I have setup the coolent sensor and seems to give good readings when out of the car.

My current plan is to run with just injection then move to ignition control. I have a wideband to go in, but need to source and another down pipe (if you've got one kicking around PM!).

Mad :(

Wurzel

I managed to miss the group buy <_<but am still interested in this project. I notice there were quite a few buyers so I'm interested in what your plans are with the system and what type of engine/setup you hope to use the ms on?

At least it will let others know what sort of projects to look forward to. I'm hoping this topic will take off when people start to fit the kits so as to make it easy for others to fit theirs in the future and not have to wade through the vast amount of info on the ms site :D

Henry Yorke

To be honest I don't know of a single UK 205 that actually runs on Megasquirt! I know lots of people have gone down that route, but never reached the end! Can someone prove me wrong please?!

Gerben (from Holland) has a 205 16v Turbo that runs it I think, but that is on and off the road as he keeps upgrading it!!! www.205turbo.nl

Rob Turbo

There is someone on here thats got MS on a 205, cant remember who tho, I didnt get mine in the group buy, got it long before, but it will be going on a 2.0 16v turbo when I get it finshed!

Anthony
To be honest I don't know of a single UK 205 that actually runs on Megasquirt! I know lots of people have gone down that route, but never reached the end! Can someone prove me wrong please?!

Mad Professor is running his 1.9 Turbo Technics engine on Megasquirt and has been for some time :)

I've just finished building mine from the Group Buy, although I'm unlikely to use it in the near future - don't really have the time at the moment to put it on a car that's working, and it was more bought for my 2045cc Mi16/S16/GTi-6 hybrid lump which is still scattered all over Mattsav's workshop :P

Mad Professor

Yep it's me I have been running my MS-II for quite some time now, I 1st started off just using MS to control fuel only, but now my MS-II controls fuel and spark.

You can run MS on the standard PUG ECU temp sensors, but I would change over to GM sensors like i did the car ran alot better after the change.

For spark control I am using Ford EDIS-4 control system, with a custom 36-1 trigger will to fit onto the crank pully.

I have also fully rewired the engine bay loom for my MS, as the french wiring was nothing but problems.

I will be adding my MegaSquirt project to my web site soon (http://www.205TurboTechnics.co.uk/MegaSquirt/)

If you need any help wiring or getting running just let me know.

Edited by Mad Professor

rich_w
Gerben (from Holland) has a 205 16v Turbo that runs it I think, but that is on and off the road as he keeps upgrading it!!! www.205turbo.nl

I think he has gone to VEMS (or at least moving to it) - I found a link to his site from the VEMS one.

Henry Yorke

Great I am wrong (which was the answer I was hoping for!)

Any more?

I considered this briefly for my CTI Turbo conversion, but thought the Bosch MP3.2 would do what I needed and is mildly mappable, though I still had the engine bay reloomed :P

rich_w

http://www.205turbo.nl/Nieuw%20blok%20opbouwen_uk.htm

About 3/4 of the way down. It might also interest you how hes mounted the ECU :P

I think its a V2 board, not the V3.x series (I've fitting a 3.3 board to my 309).

The funny thing is, theres prolly more people running VEMS than MS (untill everyone who has brought in the group buy fits theres!).

Edited by rich_w

Malachy
http://www.205turbo.nl/Nieuw%20blok%20opbouwen_uk.htm

About 3/4 of the way down. It might also interest you how hes mounted the ECU :P

I think its a V2 board, not the V3.x series (I've fitting a 3.3 board to my 309).

The funny thing is, theres prolly more people running VEMS than MS (untill everyone who has brought in the group buy fits theres!).

I am in middle of converting my 306 cabriolet to run with an xu10j2te engine + MS2.I now have the engine in just waiting on a few boost hoses to arrive and for me to bodge (read manufacture) an exhaust up.

The ms2 should arrive on tuesday (just paid the tax from parcelforce today £53 all in). I have also got a WB controller (DIY OZ WB) and sensor on the way to help set my fuelling map aswell as a knock sensor filter (KnocksenseMS) so i can set a decent ignition map. i have a few questions for mad professor,

1 What did you use for your idle? i have the stock bosch 3 pin idle valve that takes a feed from the inlet post turbo and allows air to flow into the manifold bypassing the TB. looks like this below

02_2.JPG

looking through the software is this a stepper (i dont think so since my old xu10j2 had a stepper and it vaires alot to this)? pwm ? or solenoid idle control valve? i gather it is a solenoid but i am not sure. Any ideas?

2. can i possibly have a look at your ignition and fueling maps just out of interest? i plan to run about 1 bar boost (200kpa) and would be good just to get a base map to start with.

i know my car is not a 205 but you 205 boys seem so much more knowledgable than the 306 lot :/ And i need all the help i can get LOL

regards Andy

Andy.Daniels@dsl.pipex.com

Edited by Malachy

Mad Professor

For idle I am still using the standard 1.9 SAD, but I have removed all of the engine bay loom, and rewired it.

as for my maps you can have a look, but unless you are running the same setup as me, the maps will not be right for your engine.

If you have a look on my MegaSquirt Project site you can see I am in the middle of updating it, all my pictures, and progress is be listed and shown on there.

Malachy
For idle I am still using the standard 1.9 SAD, but I have removed all of the engine bay loom, and rewired it.

as for my maps you can have a look, but unless you are running the same setup as me, the maps will not be right for your engine.

If you have a look on my MegaSquirt Project site you can see I am in the middle of updating it, all my pictures, and progress is be listed and shown on there.

would like to take a quick peak at maps just to giveme abase to fire up engine and start tuning, i was hoping to run stock wasted spark but seems i shouldve bought msns+extra for that :/ i am planning on rewiring my engine bay too and got the 12' loom when purchasing.

going to do some research and see if i can find some mods to run wasted spark, if not ill be off to scrappy to liberate a ford edis system into a quality motor :)

huckleberry
I think he has gone to VEMS (or at least moving to it) - I found a link to his site from the VEMS one.

Gerben HAD a 1.9 8v turbo engine running on an MS. The 1.9 16v engine he has now runs on a VEMS. But he was far more pleased with the MS he told me last time. There's a far bigger community using them and finding help on the internet is therefore more easy. I can't realy remember why he chose VEMS. I believe it had something to do with the fact VEMS was already usable with iginition while MS was more busy with just fueling (when he bought the VEMS that is).

Tim

Edited by huckleberry

Rob Turbo
would like to take a quick peak at maps just to giveme abase to fire up engine and start tuning, i was hoping to run stock wasted spark but seems i shouldve bought msns+extra for that :/ i am planning on rewiring my engine bay too and got the 12' loom when purchasing.

going to do some research and see if i can find some mods to run wasted spark, if not ill be off to scrappy to liberate a ford edis system into a quality motor :)

What version of MS do you have?

As long as its not MS-2 the only difference between MS and MSNS-extra is the software on it

Malachy
What version of MS do you have?

As long as its not MS-2 the only difference between MS and MSNS-extra is the software on it

i know. i have MS2, although thinking of buying an ms1 cpu to put into the v3 board until ms2 gets better support, just an idea i came up with tonight as it is only $18, however knowing my luck i will get the car runnning on msns+extra and ms2/extra will be released with awesome updates and i will have to switch back :/

Edited by Malachy

rich_w

Malachy, you after 60-2 support on the MS2? If so there was a beta frimware update with 60-2 support, I don't know if its been released 'properly'!

Malachy
Malachy, you after 60-2 support on the MS2? If so there was a beta frimware update with 60-2 support, I don't know if its been released 'properly'!

yes :) 2.5 firmware onwards supports all trigger wheels, and 2.6 > supports knock sensing ignition retard. however they still do not support wasted spark unless using ford edis, and ford edis only supports 36-1. Top support wasted spark you will need 2 coil drivers so a hardware mod aswell (is easy enough they have already done it numerous times on msns) however the code has not been written yet even if you do the mod:/

Edited by Malachy

Malachy
yes ;) 2.5 firmware onwards supports all trigger wheels, and 2.6 > supports knock sensing ignition retard. however they still do not support wasted spark unless using ford edis, and ford edis only supports 36-1. Top support wasted spark you will need 2 coil drivers so a hardware mod aswell (is easy enough they have already done it numerous times on msns) however the code has not been written yet even if you do the mod:/

after chatting with mad professor on msn i decided to grab an ms1 cpu, i amnow waiting for this from Bill shurvington (only costs £10) and a second coil driver (£5) so i can run the coil pack directly with wasted spark. also decided that i will take up some msns+extra mods.

Boost Control usuing my stock xu10j2te boost solenoid so i can set boost at x rpm (has a table similar to ve table for boost) and also intergrate it with........

Knock sensing this can be setup to retard the ignition and reduce boost on detection of a knock, then once knock is gone advance them again.

and for a bit of fun

Launch control you just setup your launch rpm hold in a thumbswitch with your foot planted and as you bring clutchup take finger off thumbswitch.

there is a lot more support for ms1+extra at moment and will be until ms2+extra is released the v3.0 board is backward compatible with both cpus so for now i will go ms1, later if ms2+extra is a lot better i can switch.

if you want to chat about your megasquirt or need help add me to your msn

Andy.Daniels@dsl.pipex.com

madspikes

Big smiles all round as the 205 started and sat there idlling whilst running on the megasquirt!!! First turn of the key! How chuffed were we!!

Currently fitting the wideband lambda, and doing a perment fit of the MS ecu so we can start mapping! This is where the fun really begins!!

So far the process hasnt been too hard or stressfull. All I would say is just check then double check things as you go. The only issue I have at the moment is getting a good cal for the AIR temp sensor.

Mad. :blush:

rich_w

Well done!

Sounds like you got over the hardest bit!

Bono

well done for getting megasquirt working.

I run MS2 with a V3 board on my daily driver 306.

Only major problem i had was getting the spark plug wires the right way round and also securing the crank sensor well enough to prevent vibration

madspikes

The old squirt is running ok, or should I say WAS! It has developed a random resetting issue, I solved it a while back but its back again! :P

I had been trying to generate a good map, currently fuel only was going ok until this reset problem came back.

I'm going to move to spark during the rebuild, it is worth putting in a Mi wheel with the trigger markings?

If anyone wants any MS help PM.

Mad.

Bono

you should be able to use the original Mi wheel and trigger sensor, i went for a 36-1 wheel on the timing belt end because the EDIS ignition needed the 36-1

Mad Professor

Have you got a datalog of your MS during a reset?

madspikes

One Mad to another mad.... Here is an extract of a data log that contain resets. I cant see anything notice able in them. I solved the issue once by moving the earthing point, but then the other day it just came back. So if you could suggest anything....

Datalog extract

Sign in to follow this