• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

A Quieter Exhaust

chris 417 mi

Im putting may car back (bodywork wise) to standard which is not a problem till it comes to the exhaust, a few years ago i put on one of those stupid 6x4 oval magnex backboxes :P and its ridiculously loud, what exhausts do anyone recommend that are fairly quiet on tickover and only start to really give a nice note when high up the rev range. I dont need anything loud as the throttle bodies give me all the noise i need. :D

Oh and it would need to mate to the pugspares /maniflow 4-2-1 manifold :D

j_turnell

Pugsport Group N, do a search, been covered a few times. I have this personally and sounds great, nice rumble at idle and comes to life after 4k and pops and bangs but not overly loud.

Ryan

Another vote for the Group-N!

I couldn't be happier with mine.

Ahl

The standard backbox is good as well. Its not quiet.

chris 417 mi

yeah i had cosidered the standard backbox but thought tit might be slightly restrictive ? ?

WIll have to have a look at this pugsport one :)

Ahl

The standard backbox (OE or a good aftermarket part like Arvin) isn't restrictive at all. :)

Its fairly well known that only real gain is from a tubular exhaust manifold, and even that gives a tiny increase.

chris 417 mi

ahh well...might just have to go with the standard one then :) , although part of me still wants to put a janspeed box on like i had on my first 1.6 gti when i was 17 :)

Ahl

Do what you feel is right man! :)

I'll take a sound clip of my standard backbox later on and you can see what you think. Its an arvin one.

I like the sound of the grpN too, but for me its still just a little too boomy. Perhaps someone has a clip of theirs?

Super Josh

I would say standard too. I had a Grp N one, and whilst it sounded great and sounded like a rally car over 4K, no way was it quite and it got on my tits after a while.

Josh

205_sunderland

ive got a magnex 4", the only reason it on there is because i got the full system for £40 and if ya gettin it that cheap i cant winge about the size at all, but it is stupidly loud

chris 417 mi
Do what you feel is right man!

yeah i know what your sayin but i dont know :( id like whatever i get to be nice and quiet or just audible on tickover (so no to annoy the neighbours & scare small children ) but to give a nice note when giving it some :) , any sound clips would be greatly appreciated

C_W

I've heard the Group N as "quite burble at idle but loud when accelerating" but was a boomy noise all the time to me.

Even the standard one has a bit of boom I suppose but is the best you'll get IMO, either that or a Jetex system which when brand new is quieter than a standard system!

feb
I would say standard too. I had a Grp N one, and whilst it sounded great and sounded like a rally car over 4K, no way was it quite and it got on my tits after a while.

Josh

I agree with Josh,i had a GrpN for 9 motnhs almost when the car was being used at weekends only and sounded great initially but i got fed up with it in the end being loud. Fitted a standard system and got my peace again.

Simes

I've got a 4-2-1 manifold mated to my magnex system and if it wasn't stainless steel I'd think I'd have a standard Pug one.

SuperJosh has the same manifold as me but as he mentioned with the remainder being standard and it's so quiet especially on tick over.

XLR8

I had a magnex 4 branch manifold- it was very good but a right pain to fit!.... I use the standard gti manifold now with a omp exhaust..

Shevy
The standard backbox (OE or a good aftermarket part like Arvin) isn't restrictive at all. :D

Its fairly well known that only real gain is from a tubular exhaust manifold, and even that gives a tiny increase.

Ahl, his car is an mi16 engine with headwork,throttle bodies etc.... a standard backbox will be restrictive on his engine spec.

Chris, how many silencers are you running in your system.

I used to only run one silencer but it was too boomy, a 2 silencer system will be quiter, you could also have a bigger silencer fitted.

I think if you don't want to lose any performance most systems available will be a bit noisy !

chris 417 mi
Chris, how many silencers are you running in your system.

At the monent just the one, i have the 4-2-1 pugspares manifold into standard exhaust (welded together by garage who fitted the engine, yes i know ill fit my next mi myself :D ) with one box then into a s bend and out of the magnex 6x4 oval. To be honest im thinking now that this s bend piece will be restrictive too so really cant wait to get this out and back to a better flowing system.

Does anyone know if janspeed still make exhausts for the 205 ??? really starting to fancy one again and also i had one on when the bodies were added & mapped :D

jshep205gti

My tip of the day is to avoid a Powerflow system.

It's STUPIDLY loud.

Standard exhaust everyday.... especially if you're on bodies!! Got all the noise you want!!

chris 417 mi

shevy : is that you kev ??? with the blue 205 ???

kevcomdude

If I had the spare cash to spend, I would personally put a standard back box on my car, It has a 3" Magnex system from the down pipe back.

Motorway driving is tedious with the groan of the exhaust, the only thing that helps is to have a powerful sound system to over power the db of the exhaust note :)

Shevy
shevy : is that you kev ??? with the blue 205 ???

Yep ! Sure is

Hows things, haven't spoken to you for ages, I wasn't sure at first if it was you Chris or another Chris !!

pug_life

magnex is a headache on long journeys but then again i had no sound system and but two seats..

Pugsports sound good and flow brilliantly.

i'm undecided on whether to go pugsport from 3" magnex but i think any exhaust is going to make noise on a tuned 205 just depends on your own limits :D

bales

I've got a twin box OMP group N exhaust on mine, its nice and burbly on idle and has a really nice note when you are giving it a bit.

It is a bit boomy at around 3.5k revs but if you drive around this it is actually not too bad at lower revs, however if you are going to use motorways regularly I probably wouldn't recommend it as it can be quite tiresome. But apart from this is would definately recommend one.

OMP also make a single box, but I wouldnt consider this as it would be very very loud if its anything like mine when i started it with only the middle box on (both silencers look identical to me).

chris 417 mi
Yep ! Sure is

haha i thought that too about you till i saw the yahoo email :P

Mine still isnt making the right power from that head from 'our friend', last rollingroad day it had 140 at the wheels (although the operator said it badly needed setting up ), what spec head etc did u go for in the end ? oh and you goin to fcs ?

im thinkin about the magnex now ...but i still want a janspeed :D doesnt anyone know of one for sale anywhere :D

gti_al

I've got a devil backbox on my car, and it is bloody quiet. It is far quieter than the box that was on before, and the standard muffler that was there before that... (although it did have a hole or ten in it) Even with my car stripped the most noticable noise is the fuel pump - at 100kph the exhaust is barely noticable.

Do you get the devil stuff in the uk? It is pretty expensive, but it looks to be good quality. The fact i got mine cheap helps too...

Sign in to follow this