• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ada205

8v Oil Filler Eruption! It's Raining 15/40!

ada205

First thing to mention is that this is my mate's car, and i dont know exactly whats been done in the last week to this engine, but he asked me to see if any of you guy's have any suggestions on this, so here goes.....

The engine was brought of ebay a few months back for my mate's 1.6, which had a shagged engine, though now it may have two! He dropped the new lump in last week and changed the belt before doing so, which is why I'm a tadge concerned about the timing, though he is a pretty competent diy mechanic. He also gave the engine a service including new oil, though I've no idea how much, and dont know if he checked weather there was any in before putting in the new.

Right, this bit i was present for, and what a show it was! On first attempt to start, there seemed to be no life what so ever, though on the second attempt it tried to fire. I was in the car turning it over, and soon found that if i gave it some gas, and then eased of, it would fire as i lifted the throttle, though running very lumpy. My mate was under the bonnet pratting about with the dizzy, which needs to be fully retarded to give best results, making the cam belt change more suspecious by the secound... As i tried to give it a few revs, which was hard as not responding very well, and like it was running on 3, there was suddenly a lot of shouting from under the bonnet. As i looked under the gap at the bottom of the bonnet, all i could see my mate moving very quickly and a stream of oil sprouting in the air from the oil filler cap, which had shot off under the pressure! It looked like he's struck oil!

So we have oil sprouting out the oil filler, seriously lumpy running, & fully retarded dizzy to acheive this. Anyone with any ideas on this, especially the oil? Would this happen from overfill? would this be possible from completely knackered rings? What would the plugs be like if rings shagged, as one in particular looked very oily to me? On the cam belt front, he's sure both lines on the belt matched up with marks on the pully's, and that the top pully was lock at 7 O'clock, and the bottom at twelve on the first hole that arrives at this point turning the pully clockwise. Is this correct? Finally, the oil light goes out quick, and the oil gauge shows good pressure, though this may be because the senders been relocated to the oil filler pipe!(joke). Any view's or advice would be much appreciated.

pug_ham

Did he lock the crank & camshaft before removing the cambelt? If not then the cam timing could be all to shot & it won't run right. From your description he has used the wrong hole for locking the crank, correct one is shown here. Cam pulley can't be locked wrongly.

I did this on the first (diesel) engine I swapped & it was about two teeth out iirc when the fault was found as the pistons had levelled in each bore when I removed the belt. (I learned fast)

As for the oil it sounds to me as if it might possible have had the new oil put in without draining the old oil first.

Check the dipstick & see where the level is when its cold, it should be at the top notch of the two, if its much above it then he's over filled it.

Graham.

ada205

Thanks Graham, think you've sorted this one out.

The timing is definately out on the crank pully, as he definatley locked it in using the first hole to arrive at twelve o'clock when turning the pully clockwise, the one that's at one o'clock in your picture!

As for the oil, I should be over his tonight so I'll have a look. The problem last time was not only was the car hot, but the oil had completely covered the dip stick top to bottom!

Cheers mate, I'll post again to let you know if it's a happy ending!

ada205

Hi again.

Right, once again, thanks for the advice Graham, the belt is now timed correctly, which helps! The car is now much more eager to start, but still runs like a sack of spuds. It starts first flick, shows good oil pressure, but stops after a few seconds every time, and sounds like it's running on 3.

The car's had to be moved, and only really got back on it tonight, and after a good look round, found that one of the breather pipe joins on the air pipe between the AFM and inlet is split at it's base. Would this cause the problems we're now having?

I've got a whole induction system some where, so I'll try and find a pipe to try, But was just wondering if anyone has any ideas if this is the likely cause, and if not, what is!?

Cheers all. Adrian.

rescue dude

Sounds like you gotta clean out ALL the breather pipes cos if there was enough oil pressure to spray oil out as you described it could be everywhere.

Wish you had it on film cos it sounds really funny.

Sorry bout that but it made me laugh.

Get the timing set right and clean everything.

aw11_hgt
As i looked under the gap at the bottom of the bonnet, all i could see my mate moving very quickly and a stream of oil sprouting in the air from the oil filler cap, which had shot off under the pressure! It looked like he's struck oil!

I can picure Rob's face!! - tell him to stay off flea bay, its damaging his health (or is it wealth?) Hope you get it sorted. :ph34r:

ada205
Sounds like you gotta clean out ALL the breather pipes cos if there was enough oil pressure to spray oil out as you described it could be everywhere.

Wish you had it on film cos it sounds really funny.

Sorry bout that but it made me laugh.

Get the timing set right and clean everything.

Cheers for the advice mate, we're planning on giving the breathers a good clean. Found a good air pipe earlier, so will try this too.

Your right, it was very funny. Beginning to regret not filming some of our exploites with cars...I'm still kicking myself i never had a camera when another mate's grass track mini went out of control whilst being loaded on a trailer, and landed in the boot of the car that was hitched to the trailer! (mk3 astra belonging to lad who owns 205 in this thread!) Only damage done was the nearside cluster!!!

I can picure Rob's face!! - tell him to stay off flea bay, its damaging his health (or is it wealth?) Hope you get it sorted. :)

It's ok for you, I could have been killed when he took off, didnt know he could move that quick, and you know how big he is. Good job i was safe in the car, If I'd been in the wrong spot, I'd have been trampled to death for sure! He's handy when you aint got an engine crane though!

Hopefully get this thing running before the weeks out now, though bit tricky when we can get to work on the car, as it's being stored at his mate's misses stables! Most definately has it's bennifits this, and i aint talking about the horses!! :P

Edited by ada205

rescue dude

Also make sure there's no oil on top of the pistons cos it wont turn too well.

Doesn't take much oil to stop it turning.

Sign in to follow this