• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Butler

205 Keeps Cutting Out/miss Firing Intermittently

Butler

This is getting on my tits now.

My 205 keeps intermittently cutting out, loosing all power. It appears to happen mainly over bumps, but not always. I loose all power sometimes for a split second, sometimes upto 4-5 secs.

So far I have changed the plugs, techy fuel pump relay and checked the plug on the fuel pump.

Now I read a post by Anthony saying that if the rev counter reads during the cut out it rules out ignition side except the "final parts". Can some clarify that?

My personal feeling is that its fuel side, maybe the pump itself. I had a complete failure 6 months ago and replaced it with a second hand one, so maybe its dodgey.

This problem started about 6 weeks ago but would dissappear for a few days at a time. Its come back all this week and worse than ever. I partly wish it would break down completely so I would stand a chance of finding the problem.

Any help advice appreiciated.

Or if any one is local to Hemel (Home) or Bracknell (Work) that's breaking a 205. Id like to test your fuel pump.

Cheers,

Marc

Craigb

Possibly wiring ?

when my coolant sensor wire snapped it stopped theinjectors firing altogether.

Possible earth problem on the fuel pump ?

AFM plug ?

Bit of a bugger to find when they are intermittant

jackherer

wire from dizzy to ignition amp?

sorr

My guess id a broken wire somewhere, one possible area to look at is the AFM wires as mine had the same symptoms and that is where the fault was.

Anthony
Now I read a post by Anthony saying that if the rev counter reads during the cut out it rules out ignition side except the "final parts". Can some clarify that?

If the rev counter is still reading, then you've still got a timing pulse from the dizzy (ruling out the dizzy and fly-lead) and you've still got a negative switching signal from the ignition amp.

Generally speaking, if the engine is cutting dead and you've still got a rev counter reading correctly, it's a fuel/injection related issue. Go over all the connections with a fine tooth combe and carefully at the wiring (weakest point is normally where it joins the pins on the connector)

pug_ham

I've not heard of this for quite a while but the wiring to the pump through the top of the tank runs through some sealant that hardens with age & used to have a reputation for cutting into the wires making the pump run intermittently.

I think Peugeot changed the sealant for this on later cars though to stop it happening.

Graham.

Butler

Thanks Anthony, thats what I was hoping, narrows it down a little.

Interesting Graham. Where abouts do the wires go through the sealant?

I am going to see if I can get a cheap pump to test, just incase.

GtiMad

Step 1) Go to sainsburys, and hand over £9.99 and collect 24 nice cold cans of stella.

Step 2) Drive to my place.

Step 3) We open bonnet (after 2 or 3 beers) and have a poke about and slag off wiring/french cars.

Step 4) Have a couple more beers.

Step 5) Stop for food

Step 6) Finish the beers, go to the pub.

Step 7) Make drunken phone call to Braylake Honda telling them to send down a Civic Type R with proper diff and cage.

Step 8) Sit back and reflect on a successful day.

-_-:blush:B)

Butler

LMAO

pug_ham
Where abouts do the wires go through the sealant?
Just to make it more fun for you, on top of the tank where the fuel pipes connect & the fuel pump plug is.

Just to add though I haven't heard of this happening for a long time but that doesn't rule it out. :D

Graham.

Butler

I have another fuel pump on its way, so I'll try that.

If that doesn't help I am thinking I wiring my multimeter on to the fuel pump some how, so I can watch the voltage when it happens.

I plan to rewire the whole car, just not yet. I have a track day in 3 weeks, that I would like it fixed by. I guess I can always temporarily bypass parts of the loom.

Butler

It was the bloody fuel filter. lol

Live and learn, cheers for the pointers anyways.

feb

You mean the filter was clogged?

I have similar problem now that's getting on my tits too! Sometimes, when starting from a standstill in first gear the revs will go up-down and i have to put more throttle to prevent it from stalling. Now that I am thinking about it the same problem happened on track on sunday; applying throttle on the exits of turns the car would pull after 1-2sec feeling the kangarooing as if i lifted off completely and pressed the accelerator again. I believe the rev counter was still showing when this happened (need to doublecheck though)

New fuel filter and plugs have been fitted 2k miles ago.

How big a job is it to rewire all the engine wiring?

From other posts it seems that possible suspects are:

- ignition amp (if rev counter not showing)

- tachymetric relay

-

What's the cost of these items new (i don't want to have to fiddle with it after a month or two).

I am seriously thinking of alternative engine management systems now with a new loom.

Cheers,

P.S. About 10 months ago the car wouldn't start twice (flooding and banging). After a long run the problem disapeared, maybe this indicates a dodgy connection somewhere....?

Edited by feb

Sign in to follow this