• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
collateral

1.6 Oil Temp Gauge Weirdness

collateral

Hey,

The oil temp gauge in my phase 2 1.6 hasn't worked since I bought it, but I recently noticed that during hard cornering ect. the needle suddenly springs into life for a split second.

Guessing this is just a wanky connection somewhere, so any ideas on which parts I can easily prod/clean? I know the sensor is somewhere in the sump...

Cheers,

Adam

C_W

Often the thread on the sensor wears and the nut is loose and so is the hoop connector. Other than that it might be the brown connector which ists on top of the gearbox and can cause other faults like starter motors just clicking etc.

Guest 205CTI-il

i have a question too regarding to this:

while im turning the oil gauge is falling to very very low then when it strighten back after a turn the gauge is coming back to normal.

p.s the gauge shows a low oil pressure when cold engine is 3 bar when engine hot the pressure is about 2 bar. (i put on an 1.9 engine in good condition) and still the gauge never shows a good pressure.

in the morning when engine cold if i press the gas pedal the gauge is jumping and shaking through 3-4 bar.

Edited by 205CTI-il

Anthony

Or the wire is damaged and it's shorting against the block under cornering.

Easiest way to isolate the fault is to short a bit of metal (pliers are fine) between the end of the temp sensor to the engine block - if it reads maximum on the gauge then it's a sender issue, otherwise it's likely a wiring fault.

nick

Anthony, don't you mean connect the end of the temp sensor wire to the block, not the temp sensor itself?

Nick

Anthony
Anthony, don't you mean connect the end of the temp sensor wire to the block, not the temp sensor itself?

Sorry, wasn't entirely clear was I - ground the wire that's still connected to the end of the temp sensor to the block...

collateral

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll have a poke this weekend.

At the moment when it flicks into life it doesn't seem to be maxing out, just giving what I guess is a proper reading...makes me think it's a connector, not earthing out. We'll see.

205CTI, I wouldn't worry about your pressure unless the warning light is comming on.

Sign in to follow this