• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Mi16 (s16)questions

205_sunderland

first of all hello lads and lasses, im new on here but not new on psooc.com which ive got no doubt most of ya are on too, anywa i want some feedback if possible on s16 lumps,

can anyone tell is whats the overall job like to put em in me 205, i got it sittin ther eand i gunna do the top end rebuilt job but not touch the bottom and hope it works :)

anyone else got nay input i may not kno, i kno i can run it without can etc but what else needs doin etc manifold conflict and things cos i havent came across much info on the s16 engine alwats seems to be 1.9 ally

regards michael

Malachy
first of all hello lads and lasses, im new on here but not new on psooc.com which ive got no doubt most of ya are on too, anywa i want some feedback if possible on s16 lumps,

can anyone tell is whats the overall job like to put em in me 205, i got it sittin ther eand i gunna do the top end rebuilt job but not touch the bottom and hope it works :)

anyone else got nay input i may not kno, i kno i can run it without can etc but what else needs doin etc manifold conflict and things cos i havent came across much info on the s16 engine alwats seems to be 1.9 ally

regards michael

in english? or anyone care to translate?

the s16 engine is a 2.0litre iron block engine the same as the 2.0litre mi16 engine.

Edited by Malachy

Jonmurgie

oh dear, and you said you'd read and agreed by the rules!

- when asking questions or making replies, make full use of vocabulary and grammar

which means that "txt spk" and "CAPS LOCK" (aka shouting) will not be tolerated.

also, only english language is allowed for use in public conversations

205_sunderland

my appologies but unfortunately i do use slang at times, i will try to best to refrain from using it in future, thanks for reminding me though

and im fully aware of which engines are which anyway thanks, i am looknig for advise towards the conversion, not a quick insult on me :blush:

Edited by 205_sunderland

pug_life

bit harsh can't see much text speak in there tbh...

anyway the s16 is a tight squeeze as MC is close fit as seen here.....

DSCF0776.jpg

also the inlet is close on the radiator....

DSCF0777.jpg

downpipe fits fine so no need for any reangling etc....

DSCF0778.jpg

the loom is ok if you have an unlocked ecu but some pipes need matching up for plumbing it in.. The instrument wiring needs cutting and rewiring for the gauges but besides that its not too bad :blush:

Wurzel

Well, not the best start but lets put all that behind and start again :blush:

Personally I have not fitted the S16 engine but many have. I suggest a (perhaps laborious) search on the subject first. There are a few good threads out there. From what I gather, mechanicals are fairly straight forward, electrically can be challenging depending on skill and looms.

There are some handling arguments as well, all worth reading.

Not much direct help I'm afraid, but as I've said, no personal experience. Hopefully though, you'll find what you're looking for :D

205_sunderland

that is one of my major concerns, i dont want to loose handling on the car, but the conversion looks better than i imagined thankfully.

i think i would rather pay for a local auto electrition to wire it up as i cannot do electrical work at all.

and my car currently has 40mm lowering springs with the weight increase would it be wise to add standard springs as it will drop anyway i imagine?

anyway thanks for the help, im going to research as much as possible and see what would suit best

regards michael

Edited by 205_sunderland

DaveK

yea mate get stuck into the searches. ive learned a massive amount on searching. 6 months ago i didnt really have a clue about 205's, now i know more than all my mates :(

pug_life

the weight difference is minimal and with good suspension it shouldn't make a massive different :(

it fits nicely but the master cylinder clearance is only real issue. i do have some notes somewhere on the wiring will try dig them out :lol:

Jonmurgie

Can't see the 'txt' speak?!

can anyone tell is whats the overall job like to put em in me 205, i got it sittin ther eand i gunna do the top end rebuilt job but not touch the bottom and hope it works :(

regards michael

And where are the capital letters, grammar and punctuation oh and spelling?!

Anyhow, I'm nit-picking now so I'll stop :lol:

pug_life

its not an english class jon :lol:

8 mistakes isn't bad for a long post :(

Malachy
its not an english class jon :P

8 mistakes isn't bad for a long post :)

3 sentances = long post?

matt205xs
Can't see the 'txt' speak?!

And where are the capital letters, grammar and punctuation oh and spelling?!

Anyhow, I'm nit-picking now so I'll stop :P

full stops after sentances. :)B)

205_sunderland

i can see how the full use of correct english can be asked for, but i do lay all my text out in an understandable mannor as no-one else has a problem with it as long as i use full wording.

and thanks for the feedback guys, this is just what i need as im thinking of moving it forward a little on the schedule and fitting it over the ship yard fortnight. which is basically 2 weeks i have off in summer at the start of august :) .

so am i correct in asuming i dont have to re-angle the manifolds or anything of the sort? just the problem of master cylinder and radiator being close. i do already have grp N engine mounts on my car will this should sort the conflict surely? As for wiring any help would be fantastic as i dont have any idea at all.

regards michael

Edited by 205_sunderland

205_sunderland

i have one more question also. Does the s16 run an airflow meter as i cant remember for the life of me if it does, although i imagine it will, and has anoyne ever changed the rings and reconed the head. What kind of job is it?

regards michael

Malachy
i have one more question also. Does the s16 run an airflow meter as i cant remember for the life of me if it does, although i imagine it will, and has anoyne ever changed the rings and reconed the head. What kind of job is it?

regards michael

no it runs a map sensor not afm

205_sunderland

right excellent thanks, now ive got to find out exactly what i have and what i need etc.

regards michael

keith

DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

christ the guy just wants to know some info on the conversion!

arg. such a friendly bunch.

Edited by keith

Malachy
DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

christ the guy just wants to know some info on the conversion!

arg. such a friendly bunch.

Yeah it does, I am happy to help anyone I can, but if I can't understand anything they say I can't help them.

As for this text talk being quicker to type yes that fine, It is quicker but then it takes everyone who reads it longer to read, So you save 5 mins typing but cost everyone who reads it 5 mins in deciphering.

Ahl
i can see how the full use of correct english can be asked for, but i do lay all my text out in an understandable mannor as no-one else has a problem with it as long as i use full wording.

lol, yes leave him alone for goodness sake! :P

I take that apart from the inlet manifold being slight different to a 1.9 mi16, the s16 goes in just the same way a 1.9 mi16 would?

205_sunderland

im starting to becomne worried now, all the help you have given me is superb and im most grateful but i becoming more doubtfull towards it as im scared on the engine condition on the bottom end.I will have just enough money to get it in if it fails i have no means of transport for work, My father was a mechanic for 35 years and is telling me im a fool for doing it. I am unsure, the engine is not being fitted till start of august so i am waying up the possibility of using all the moeny i have saved from now till then to buy a running engine to fit which i know will work. So dont worry its still getting an mi in there but i gunna make sure i dont mess it all up because theres no way on earth i can ever afford to rebuild a bottom end as i only an aprentice toolmakers. so with no runing history and knowing its been in a garage for years is it wise to you?

regards michael

Wurzel

If it's your first time to convert and you are unsure of the engine condition, I personally wouldn't risk it. As the car is your daily drive, it would deffo be off the road for a good few days at least.

I spent a long time before hand getting all the bits and pieces needed for my Mi transplant so I didn't waste time off the road, it still took me the best part of a week to do (few hours in the evening each night before getting dark).

You need to make arrangements to have the car off the road for a while.

205_sunderland

i have 2 weeks off work in summer when i am going to do it, but i think im gunna try to aquire another engine which i know will run.

Sign in to follow this