• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Hub Nut Questions

GLPoomobile

1) I have 32mm and 36mm Halfords hub nut sockets. They feel loose on their respective hub nuts. Surely this is not normal as they keep slipping and rounding the nuts.

2) To undo a N/S hub nut I presume you have to turn it anti clockwise as normal? I have to ask as it's only N/S hub nuts that I stuggle with!

3) As the hub nut is recessed quite far with the wheel on the car, can anyone suggest the best method to get proper leverage as with the Halfords sockets I need to use a 5 inch extension so that my breaker bar will clear the wheel face, which isn't ideal.

I f***ing hate hub nuts, they always ruin my plans :)

Edited by GLPoomobile

pug_life

tried a 30mm :)

i've come across 30 and 32mm hub nuts on 205's a 36mm on 405 and 309s :)

Anthony

As Jay said - 1.6's use 30 and 32mm hubnuts and 1.9's use 35 and 36mm hubnuts

You turn the nuts anticlockwise as normal to undo on both sides, and a deep reach socket is better than using a shallow socket and extension piece. I use some cheap Laser deep impact sockets and they seem fine for the job :)

Garry

Try and get something to rest the extension on that will keep it square to the nut like a block of wood or bricks. That way you put all the power into twisting and not moving off the nut.

pug_life

yeh i used a trolley jack under the end of socket to keep it ight in and to stop prerssure pulling itdown off the bolt.

GLPoomobile

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look out some longer sockets in 30 and 35mm sizes (I'm convinced the latest one that has snagged me is 32mm though, cos the socket isn't THAT loose).

I like the idea of using a trolley jack under the extension/socket. I usually try and twist upwards which causes the socket to slip upwards, but if I twist downwards with something underneath then maybe I'll be a bit more successful next time.

James_m

Funny this should be mentioned today, im also having a bit of a nightmare trying to undo mine on both sides! I cant find a 35mm socket anywhere! so im a bit wary of really going for it with a 36 and rounding them off :D:) either way, i think a longer bar is needed....

sonofsam

When i was having a mare with my old hub nuts..

i made up this little shim,held the socket level,got some good purchase on it that time :)

DVC0133258.jpg

888rmb

I find 1 3/16" (30.1625mm) a better fit on 1.6 front hubs and 1 1/14" (31.75mm) on rear hubs fits better.

Simes

I picked up a 35mm socket from my local motor factors, it even had on the packaging 'suitable for Peugeot and Citroen'.

£10 it cost.

Baz

Had mine off yesterday. Used to p*ss me off something rotten! Scraped knuckles etc, desperately trying anything to stop it from slipping off, block of wood, jack, little brother....!!

Now it's a doddle, went and bought a 3/4" Ratchet and socket set, couldn't beleive how much easier it was!! :blush: Occasionally still need to support the shoulder but i think as you can lean that much harder on it, it's made it that much easier.

Ahl

There are 35mm sockets in halfords, black ones for air tools.

I think they cost £6, could be talking nonsense though.

pacey205

Pretty sure I got a 35mm one from my local motor factors for about a fiver and Im sure Ive seen the ones Ahl mentions in Halfrauds as well.

Michael

eddie_1.9
Funny this should be mentioned today, im also having a bit of a nightmare trying to undo mine on both sides! I cant find a 35mm socket anywhere! so im a bit wary of really going for it with a 36 and rounding them off ;):lol: either way, i think a longer bar is needed....
Wow i'm not alone then! :( Spent all weekend looking for 35mm socket too! after trying all my mates, mates dads and my neighbours I ended up driving 20 odd miles to a hellfrauds that told me they had one (non locally did), but when i got there they had a 32mm :P Why was i supprised? :(

On my way back after admitting defeat i drove past a little independant motor factor so i popped in not expecting to find anything here either - But they did! & only £6.99 too - Winner! :D

I can tell you from bitter experience that halfords don't sell a 35mm. I have in the past bought a 36mm from them about 4 years ago but now the biggest they stock is 34mm if your very lucky. Most i tried only had up to 32mm. And then they only have sockets in 2mm increments too so no odd sizes (31mm,33mm etc). utterly usless if u ask me.

James_m

Managed to get a mythical 35mm draper socket from one of the motorfactor's on barnet high road :P Only problem is now, my machine mart breaker bar is flexing to the point it will snap, my advice - dont buy one!!

A new breaker bar, more£££ :)

GLPoomobile
Managed to get a mythical 35mm draper socket from one of the motorfactor's on barnet high road B) Only problem is now, my machine mart breaker bar is flexing to the point it will snap, my advice - dont buy one!!

A new breaker bar, more£££ -_-

Bollocks, mine is an MM bar :( It was a toss up between that and one from Screwfix for double the price (but slightly longer). I'm a tight bastard so what can I say :blush:

Well, it looks like my nuts are 30mm after all (not my bollocks before anyone makes a comedy reply) so serves me right for just assuming that thet would be 32mm. I ended up just leaving the shaft attached to the hub and working around the problem.

maturin23

hi steve

Pop round tonight - I've got my decent breaker bar back from the guy next door - and with that scaffolding pole you'll be laughing.

You can hold on to it for the weekend if you need it.

Ian

GLPoomobile

Thanks Ian but no need. With the car off the road I don't fancy using public transport to get up your place either. It's soul destroying!

Once I have the car sorted and the right size sockets - in long reach form - then I might take you up on the offer just to show the bastards who's boss.

maturin23

No worries - hope you sort it!

I'd better get sorting my ride height -_-

Sign in to follow this