• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
saml666

Which Oil Cooler To Use With Mi16 Conversion

saml666

Sorry if anyones getting tired of my newbie questions :)

BUT

My 8v has a water jacket type cooler. The Mi engine I'm fitting is std apart from twin dellortos so will this oil cooler be OK or do I need to upgrade to an air cooled one?

Having said that I'm sure its easy enough to change later if need be, TBH I'm getting tired of shelling out for this conversion now, just wanna drive it!

Ta in advance :wacko:

Sam

Revla
Sorry if anyones getting tired of my newbie questions :wacko:

BUT

My 8v has a water jacket type cooler. The Mi engine I'm fitting is std apart from twin dellortos so will this oil cooler be OK or do I need to upgrade to an air cooled one?

Having said that I'm sure its easy enough to change later if need be, TBH I'm getting tired of shelling out for this conversion now, just wanna drive it!

Ta in advance :)

Sam

Hi,

IMO the water jacket seems fine for road use..... My 2.0 Mi had one fitted as standard.

The standard 205 air cooled oil cooler is a little bit too small, SBC bin these in favour of a larger Mocal jobbie but keep the water jacket type as you have.

RobSBC has a larger Mocal air cooled oil cooler, he has just placed some tin foil over the cooler as the oil didn't reach working temp with normal driving.... :)

Hope this helps.

Trev

Miles

It depends on what your using the car for, Road use the heat exchanger (Cooler as descriped) heats the oil up for a more efficent engine and has little cooling propties over a Air cooled item.

Super Josh

It also depends alot whether you have the finned ally sump fitted, as these aid colling quite alot too.

Josh

saml666

Cheers chaps, that tells me plenty for now - since I have to run it in thats a lot of gentle miles where I can get a feel for what temp it runs at, whats normal etc. Not sure if my sump is finned or not - will check

Many thanks, Sam

Jonmurgie

I didn't run any kind of cooler or finned sump on my Mi track car and didn't have any major oil temp issues...

petert
I didn't run any kind of cooler or finned sump on my Mi track car and didn't have any major oil temp issues...

depends how fast you can drive.............:)

Edited by petert

B1ack_Mi16
depends how fast you can drive.............:)

And how accurate the temp-gauge actually was. Didn't that bottom end just die?

petert

mmmmm...........

Anthony

From memory, wasn't that the result of oil starvation from spinning off the track, rather than high oil temperatures causing it to spin a shell?

B1ack_Mi16
From memory, wasn't that the result of oil starvation from spinning off the track, rather than high oil temperatures causing it to spin a shell?

Or maybe a combination, who really knows for sure?

petert

aren't the two usually related?

Jonmurgie
mmmmm...........

Sorry for digging this up again but while doing a search I seem to have missed the end of this topic!

That was nothing to do with the heat of the oil... that was pure oil starvation and was caused by my own stupid self. I had dented the sump the day before while doing some other job on the car (don't ask) but didn't think it would matter, little did I know that there is next to bugger all gap between the bottom of the oil pump and the sump :(

Anyway, just wanted to put the record straight... my engine was FINE with no oil cooler in it's standard state... will be fitting one now though, hence finding this thread again!

petert

So what's everyone's opinion on what the ideal oil temperature is? I'm talking about a track/race car, that's kept between 4500-7500 at full load every second of it's life.

boombang

I would have a guess at 110-120 degrees using a good esther based synth. Although accurately measuring the temp is another thing.

James_R

To add to this thread, I'm running a (wide) 13row Mocal air/oil cooler with a Tin sump on my Mi, after giving it death on a few double laps at nurburgring my oil temp was getting to the 3rd bar up, I can't say how high this is as no one really knows, will be more accusute when I finally fit my SPA gauge.

As for good running temps 100-110deg normal opperating,

Kitsune
Anyway, just wanted to put the record straight... my engine was FINE with no oil cooler in it's standard state... will be fitting one now though, hence finding this thread again!

Air or water? Not sure what the Mi engine is supposed to have.

Sign in to follow this