• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Replacing Ignition Barrel

TaffyTim

Hi

Ive just replaced the locks on my new little beast and now i need to replace the ignition barrel.

This looks a little more complex due to the wires coming off it. How long does this job take and how easy is it?

Ive also got an imobiliser on the car, will this be affected by the job??

Rob Turbo

Its not too hard to do any you can keep the old wires

Theres 2 screws hold it in, put the key in and turn (1st click i think) then press the little pin in (you'll see what i mean) then pull the key and it will take the barrel out

Then undo two screws on the back and the wires will come off, then slap it all back together with your new barrel in!

Kitsune

I wish I knew this yesterday! Noticed the little pins but didnt try the 1 click method.

steve@cornwall
Its not too hard to do any you can keep the old wires

Theres 2 screws hold it in, put the key in and turn (1st click i think) then press the little pin in (you'll see what i mean) then pull the key and it will take the barrel out

Then undo two screws on the back and the wires will come off, then slap it all back together with your new barrel in!

should be a little retaining screw on top of the barrel as well

TaffyTim

Thanks Rob I will have a bash tomorrow, what bits of plastic need to come off from inside the car?? Ive had a lookin the H manuel but cant find the right section so im going at it blind.

Rob Turbo

Just the bottom half of the steering cowling IIRC, maybe the bottom part of the dash on the drivers side as well to feed the wires through

TaffyTim

ta

TaffyTim
ta

Ok I do need to take the dash apart as I cant access the nut that is holding the barrel in.

I have turned hte key and pressed the pins in but the nut 180 degrees from it is small and hard to get too.

I have the bottom half of the steering cowling off, how do i get the top half off?? Please dont tell me i have to dismantle the whole dashboard :)

steve@cornwall
Ok I do need to take the dash apart as I cant access the nut that is holding the barrel in.

I have turned hte key and pressed the pins in but the nut 180 degrees from it is small and hard to get too.

I have the bottom half of the steering cowling off, how do i get the top half off?? Please dont tell me i have to dismantle the whole dashboard :)

easier to undo the four nuts that hold the steering column up and lower the column enough to get a spanner in.

TaffyTim
easier to undo the four nuts that hold the steering column up and lower the column enough to get a spanner in.

Where are these bolts located? I take it you dont mean the lower cowling of the steering column.

steve@cornwall
Where are these bolts located? I take it you dont mean the lower cowling of the steering column.

The top (black) section of the column, that the barrel assembly fits into is secured to the under dash bodywork with these four nuts (sorry) remove the lower dash panel , with the tray under the ecu , and all will be revealed! The whole assembly, including steering wheel can be lowered enough to undo the nut on the barrell. Not half as complicated as i may have made it sound and certainly easier than removal of the dash assy. Can anybody post a picture as I don't know how to!!!

TaffyTim
Can anybody post a picture as I don't know how to!!!

Pic would be handy if anybody has this.

Ta

jonD6B

Can't you just use a punch to tap the retaining screw round? Once the tension is off it it should only be finger tight.

TaffyTim

nice idea, im having a go tonight so will try that method

steve@cornwall
Pic would be handy if anybody has this.

Ta

any luck yet? just thought I could email a pic from my phone if it helps?

TaffyTim

Thanks for the concern steve.

Ive managed to get it sorted now, had to track down a 7m spanner and the little nut came out easily. All door locks, boot lock glove box lock and ignition now work off one key now B)

Edited by TaffyTim

Sign in to follow this