• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

Cam/crank Seal?

gti_al

I've noticed that the covers on my car have been a little wet recently, and it suddenly seems to have gotten worse... Now it is actually dripping out when it is parked, and leaving a (very small) patch.

If it is the cam seal, would the cam belt be wet? I pulled the top cover off, and behind the pulley is a little greasy, but the belt is fine. I'm guessing that it would be running down the back and out the bottom though...

Anyway, as the belt/related bits are only 10k kms old, (previous owner did them) is there a quick (read - bodgy) way of replacing the seal? I was offered a really cheap Mi16 yesterday, so i don't want to spend much money on this engine.

Thanks,

Alistair

pug_ham

If the cambelt isn't wet with oil at all you should be fiune to re-use iot but if there is any contamination replacing it (even i its only for a few K) is worth while.

A new camshaft seal shouldn't be that expensive & replacing it isn't hard to do, undoing the cam sprocket could be the hardest part.

Graham.

gti_al
If the cambelt isn't wet with oil at all you should be fiune to re-use iot but if there is any contamination replacing it (even i its only for a few K) is worth while.

A new camshaft seal shouldn't be that expensive & replacing it isn't hard to do, undoing the cam sprocket could be the hardest part.

Graham.

Thanks graham. ( Beware - this may be a stupid question)

I pulled the head off my old shagged engine, but i don't remember the cambelt stage very clearly... I seem to remember the crank sprocket being an absolute arse, and the cambelt covers were impossible to get off in the tiny space...

I've read heaps about it on here, but everyone seems to overlook the difficulty of getting the covers off - is there a trick? Does the cambelt need to come off completely to get the cam pulley off?

pug_ham

Covers aren't usually that hard to get off, just the bolts are fiddly & access isn't great.

To get the cam pulley off you shouldn't need to take the cambelt off totally but I think getting at the lower cover bolts is restricted by the crank pulley so that needs to come off to get the cover off for access to the two 11mm nuts that hold the tensioner tight, once its no longer tensioned you can slide the belt off the cam pulley & move it out of the way but talking it right off will avoid further damage.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this