• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kman1600

Budget Handling Improvements?

kman1600

Hi,

I looking for advice on budget improvements that can be made to a phase 1 1.6GTI to primarily improve handling, although advice on our aspects such as brakes, power etc is also welcomed.

I have time, energy and quite good fabrication skills (welding machining etc.) to bring to bare on my Road (with occasional track outings ;) ) car, unfortunately the pot of money is a little empty at the moment :( so big budget handling kits etc. are out for the moment.

Any ideas where to start? Car is little more than a rolling shell at the moment so I plan some seam welding/strengthening before I start to build but what next? :o

Thanks

Tim

jonD6B

I'd start by checking that everything is in good working order suspension wise then I'd change the bushes and mounts, especially at the rear. Cheap and efficient.

kman1600

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and certainly I will be working methodically through the car making sure everything is in good shape. What Id like to avoid are any mistakes where I, for example, might replace the rear beam bushes with standard items when I really should have used something else, like solid mounting it? Similar story with front wishbones, they probably need replaced, do I go for 309GTI ones or PTS ones, are rose jointed inners worth the bother? Are there other bits and pieces that can robed from other cars in the range that give an improvement?

As I say I cant, at the moment, run out and buy a full Leda, Avo or whatever race set-up but Id hate to waste money on stuff that could be improved with a little more thought and knowledge.

Thanks again

Tim

jonD6B

Everyone has their own opinions on what is best for them so I would suggest a search and an hours reading of the threads so that you can make an informed decision on what is best for you. ATB.

TEKNOPUG

Tyres first and foremost. No pointing skimping on these as a set of F1's will make a big difference for not a great deal of cash.

kman1600

Hi,

Absolutely a few years doing Sprints certainly underlines, in fact double underlines, the need to invest in real track tyres.

I will indeed spend some time reading through the post on handling, Ive already had a go at the pinned topic suspension and how it works and it is indeed excellent reading, Im going to have to go through it a few more times to get my head around it all.

Thanks again,

Tim

smckeown

i'd check the rear beam first, if it hasnt had any attention the last few years it could be in worse condition than you think. In fast if you have no knowledge or proof it's been refurbed in the last few years i'd get it reconditioned. Leave it too long and it goes past being saved

Butler

Rebuild beam and chnge the mounts to Group N.

Poly bush the wishbones, and check the ball joints.

Group N top mounts.

Drop links and ARb bushes.

Then Tyres, dampers and springs. Decent brake pads and 5.1 fluid.

Cage helps too. :(

Edited by Butler

Alan_M

Don't think you'll get 'cheap' handling improvements if the suspension components on the car are original!

Be prepared to outlay a few quid <_<

kman1600
Don't think you'll get 'cheap' handling improvements if the suspension components on the car are original!

Be prepared to outlay a few quid <_<

Hi,

I guess cheap is a relative term, I don't expect something for nothing, but if there are some pointers to help me aviod any obvious pit falls then all the better.

I'm very content that I know what to do engine and gearbox wise but as I rebuild this wee car I don't want to spend money going one way to regret it later on.

Thanks

Tim

petert
Rebuild beam and chnge the mounts to Group N.

Poly bush the wishbones, and check the ball joints.

Group N top mounts.

Drop links and ARb bushes.

Then Tyres, dampers and springs. Decent brake pads and 5.1 fluid.

Cage helps too. <_<

Good advice, but change the torsion bars before the springs.

kman1600

Hi,

The guy I got the car off also has a 309 breaking, it was a 1600 petrol nothing special. Would there be any useful bits on this that I should take? Rear beam? Front wishbones? Drives? anything else?

Thanks

Tim

niklas
Good advice, but change the torsion bars before the springs.

A very good advice!

And if torsion bars are too expensive, at least go for a stiffer (ie 25mm) rear antiroll bar! Preferably both torsions bars and antiroll bar though :excl:

That will transform handling before doing anything else..

kman1600
A very good advice!

And if torsion bars are too expensive, at least go for a stiffer (ie 25mm) rear antiroll bar! Preferably both torsions bars and antiroll bar though :excl:

That will transform handling before doing anything else..

Hi,

Thanks, I'll put a 25mm ABR on my shopping list, as you say torsion bars are kind of pricey, I was hopeful that if I got the rear end weight down enough in the car I could get away with the stardard bars at least for a while.

Tim

Sign in to follow this