• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie

Im Stuck :(((

Richie

Ok its a security issue. My car has a very old mechanical immobiliser on the gear stick.

Its basically a big silver cylinder button, that you push into the gears when your cars in gear. Now, ive lost the key to this. I've called locksmith companies and local mechanics and they said theres nothing i can do. So what the hell, have i gotta scrap my car because my gears are locked in by this cylinder button device.

(this doesn't go "over" the gear stick, its a button on the side, almost on the floor, and it takes a very unique small square key)

any help would be nice ,thank u

A very frustrated Rich

Jonmurgie

Angle Grinder?

Rob_the_Sparky

Drill...nothign to loose if you are going to scrap the car if it doesn't come off.

GLPoomobile

Don't know anything about these but I would have thought that at the worst you can just remove the gear stick and either grind the piece of crap off or replace the stick with one from a scrappy.

Richie
:) dunno, i was told it is the most awkward security device ever in the history of the world. And im sure the company doesn't exist anymore because this must be about as old as the car (17 years). :(

Veero

There MUST be a way to remove the gearstick assembly to avoid scrapping the car. Drill/angle grinder/BFI usually work.

What exactly is it connected to otherwise to prevent gears being engaged?

Veero

Richie

To be honest veero, im not sure how the thing works. I think it just slot's into the linkages maybe? You just can't move the stick at all. I've spoke to some people who seem to be confident its a case of taking the console apart and grinding into it to take it off which has made me a bit happier :)

Aparently they were used on old fords. I'll post a picture of an A4 sheet later on that shows how it works (the original paperwork for it)

Still a pain, they can't do it till saturday. Im just angry the local mechanics and locksmiths just couldn't be bothered to help and didn't wanna know. Cheers for the replies.

Dream Weaver

It could be either a Dipol Gearlock or Barrier deadlock.

If its into the tunnel, there isn't much under the car so you could grind it out by cutting the tunnel around it, then weld a plate in.

If its near the gear lever, it can only go into the linkages underneath.

Richie

Its a barrier deadlock dreamweaver, im pretty sure that's what it says on the information sheet. Its like, its on the carpeted part that surrounds the stick below the leather gaitor. On the left.

GLPoomobile

Find a local scally, I'm sure they could get past it in no time!

rich_w

I've got one of these devices, when I looked at it all I remember is that I didnt want to loose the keys as it looked a bitch to remove if it was 'locked'.

I can't remember how it worked but there would be no need to remove the console, just the exhaust to get better access. Got any pic's? I will try to get a picture of mine latter (ooo errr).

Richie

The Barrier Deadlock System

The Barrier Deadlock System is a permanently installed physical gearshift immobiliser which locks the vehicles gear selection mechanism into reverse, park or neutral.

Innumerable attempts have been made to overcome this lock, and because the principal components are generally located underneath the vehicle, it is rendered as good as theft proof.

The system has been attack tested by Thatcham, Sold-Secure, The Master Locksmiths Association, Top Gear, and others.

It has gained industry recognition from the British Insurance Industry, the Police, the Ford Motor Company and General Motors Europe, and the Subaru Impreza Driver's Club.

Cheshire, North Wales and Hampshire Police Forces use the device to protect their vehicles at crime scenes, and other forces are actively looking at the product for their vehicles.

:):(:D

Guest rick03054

If it goes on, it comes off. Has to be possible!

because the principal components are generally located underneath the vehicle, it is rendered as good as theft proof.

Have to go under the car then. :)

Sign in to follow this