• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

What Penetrating Oil Do You Recommend?

GLPoomobile

As above, what's good?

A mate swears by Plusgas but I've not tried it yet. I've only ever used WD40 but since it's not a dedicated penetrating oil I guess there may be better alternatives.

Alastairh

I personally use wd40, just because its well known and they sell it in petrol stations.

But yeah would be intrested in peoples views.

Rob_the_Sparky

WD40 isn't really a penetrating oil, WD = Water Displacement oil. Best for damp electrics. I do use it occasionally but only when it is to hand and I can't be arsed to get up to get the plus gas! Plus Gas is way better but not the only one, just what I happened to buy a while ago and the can has not run out yet.

Rob

Veero

PlusGas should indeed be sworn by.

Very good stuff. Useful in any kind of mechanical disassembly. Bike shop I worked at had a 15 year old shopper come in. Used daily and the bottom bracket had died (axle you bolt the cranks to :o ). It was obvious the adaptor tool was going to round off the teeth to undo this thing since it was a steel BB cup in a steel frame so it had corroded solid. Soaked this thing in PlusGas for about 1/2 hour constantly spraying more on, and hey presto it got the BB straight out without as much as an extension bar on the spanner.

Brilliant stuff.

Veero

Guest rick03054

This thread just made me realise how sad I really am. I've always used WD-40 and a bit of a bang. I've had a couple of really awkward bolts snap on me recently so bought some plus-gas. I havn't had a chance to use it yet but I'm getting excited reading this now I know I have it! :blush::o:D

tagy

do they sell PluGas in halfords? never seen it.

Guest rick03054

I don't think so. I've looked for it too.

They do sell their own brand penetrating oil though. But for the couple of quid extra it probably costs I want to try the best. :o

jim205GTI

Go for plusgas used it on the off chance that i had seen some it in the local motor factors and have kept using it since! :o

Baz

*Insert KY joke here!*

I use Diesel! :o

jack biscuit

Another here who'll go for plusgas, time and again it's worked where others haven't..

However, the best is a beefy breakbar, quality socket and MAPP gas that's the way forward!

Oxy acetylene is a master too, not as simpleton friendly though..

DaveW

hmm i must get some plus gas then how much is it?

Pug_101

Used a product in work called WIZ or WIS and was the best stuff your every likely to use. Makes exhaust manifold nuts/bolts so easy!

We had to stop using it due to safety regs and use a product called PC90, which is not as good.

I've never looked for WIZ in the shops it's probably not avalible.

I will see if I can get some more info on it from work.

Most if not all of these products clean the nut/bolt offering no protection so its a good idea after there use to lubricate your (wait for it) parts.

Paul

Simes

Wish I'd bought this before snapping both my rear brake bleed nipples off. :o

mak

yep, plusgas all the way

edit: thou I wish they sold it with an extension tube like wd40, can be a bit tricky getting to those akward places

Edited by mak

jim205GTI

you could always save a nozzle from the wd40 and use it on the plusgas :)

mak

cunning, although it doesnt fit, at least on the cans I have :)

Sign in to follow this