• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Head Bolt Removal - Snapping Torx Bits

Phil

I am trying to remove the headbolts to change the gasket on my 1.9 and have snapped two T55 Torx bits so far doing so, and haven't managed to loosen a single bolt! Is there a knack or a certain type of preferred Torx bit to use doing this?

Veero

Try using them with an impact driver first.

I found some longer Torx bits which were suitable to get the head bolts out of an Mi head, managed to get all the bolts out fine with mine, and used the same bit to tighten them all back up.

Is the Torx bit tipping as you apply the twist to it? If it does that can easily snap a few teeth off the bit.

Also if you get a Halfrauds Professional bit it should have a lifetime warranty on it and you take it back and get another if it does.

Veero

Guest Chris Astley Motorsport

sometimes if you use a cheaper torx bit they are made harder and some times brake/shatter, i used to have this problem until i got my money out and purchased a snap-on item, hassle free ever since.

Chris

DaveK

yea apparently Snap-On ones are fantastic, saying tht tho i took the head of a 1.9 with a halfords pro torx bit and it didnt snap

Phil

I was using a 2 foot breaker bar, one was a Halfords bit and another of unknown brand. I will swap the Halfords one tomorrow and try using the impact gun on it to eliminate the twisting Veero mentions, although it snapped them both exactly the same.. clean in half just above the splines!

Unless anyone knows somewhere open on a Sunday that sells Snap-On!

Phil

Just snapped Torx bit number 3 now, using the impact gun! Still no loose headbolts... :blink:

littlemike

Put the torx bit (without its holder or the breaker bar) in the bolt and give it a few good sharp hits with a hammer before you try and undo them. That should free the bite of the bolt heads a little.

Rom

Using Torx bits in guns is bad mmkay :blink:

What i thikn he meant, was make sure the bit is staying straight in the bolt. Not leaning at all. Its very easy with the long torx bits to allow them to lean as u apply force to them.

I only ever used a big breaker bar to undo headbolts. And i probably do 2-3 a month at a guess.

DaveK

noob question...whats a breaker bar? just a drive socket like 1/2" with a bar instead of a ratchet?

petert

I also recommend the Snap-on T55 socket. Don't muck around with 3/8 though. Buy the 1/2 inch model and turn down the body to 22mm in a lathe so it fits through an Mi16 cam cap. I also did the same with my E16 socket.

Phil

After touring the local motor-spares I finally found some of the hardened (black) ones with a meaty shaft and the right length. A whack with the hammer to loosen the threads and they cracked off ok! Still massively tight though!

Thanks for the help and tips guys, I will post a picture of the headgasket later, you have to laugh at it!

jack biscuit
I also recommend the Snap-on T55 socket. Don't muck around with 3/8 though. Buy the 1/2 inch model and turn down the body to 22mm in a lathe so it fits through an Mi16 cam cap. I also did the same with my E16 socket.

I like the hands on approach there.. but isn't the body forged? turning it down removing the compressed outer surface? weakened?!? :)

P.s. i'm a bit shocked people are breaking torx on these bolts, removing them too..

three times i've used 8mm hex to remove them! you can imagine how little metal to metal there is in that arrangement too..

Edited by jack biscuit

petert
. but isn't the body forged? turning it down removing the compressed outer surface? weakened?!?

no, it's quite soft and easy to turn.

jack biscuit

Thanks peter..

Phil

IMG_7993.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

Less than one week before a trackday!

jack biscuit

s*it THE BED!

Sign in to follow this